Red Bull RB13 nose: Regulatory means of legality

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Webber2011

Re: Red Bull RB13 nose: Regulatory means of legality

Simple question from a guy who has no engineering or aero experience compared to all you guys, but how long is it going to take this thing to block up with marbles and track litter ?

TwanV

Webber2011 wrote:Simple question from a guy who has no engineering or aero experience compared to all you guys, but how long is it going to take this thing to block up with marbles and track litter ?
Interesting point.. However should it would really be an issue, do the rules allow for a flush grating? Don't see a reason why not, but you never know the fia:)

roon

Perhaps we'll see a new pit crew position. Someone to blow compressed air through the exit of the vent. Maybe the front jack could sport such a device--a can of compressed air and a nozzle that flips up underneath the nose!

Webber2011

roon wrote:Perhaps we'll see a new pit crew position. Someone to blow compressed air through the exit of the vent. Maybe the front jack could sport such a device--a can of compressed air and a nozzle that flips up underneath the nose!
Very clever solution there mate !

I envisioned one of the pit crew trying to clear it by hand like they sometimes used to with the side pods.
With the rapidity of pit stops now there's no refuelling, that's almost impossible though.

I like your thinking :wink:

Jolle

Webber2011 wrote:Simple question from a guy who has no engineering or aero experience compared to all you guys, but how long is it going to take this thing to block up with marbles and track litter ?
This could be a feature? max downforce for qualifying and during the race it blocks off to be a little less harsh on the front tires or even to shift the balance slightly?

roon

Jolle wrote:
This could be a feature? max downforce for qualifying and during the race it blocks off to be a little less harsh on the front tires or even to shift the balance slightly?
Ha. I like it. Additive bodywork. Maybe you could build a front wing element or turning vane out of mesh. Porous surface. Over the race you could build up a rubber surface. Run a heating element through it to make sure the rubber stays sticky. 8)

roon

Webber2011 wrote:
roon wrote:Perhaps we'll see a new pit crew position. Someone to blow compressed air through the exit of the vent. Maybe the front jack could sport such a device--a can of compressed air and a nozzle that flips up underneath the nose!
Very clever solution there mate !

I envisioned one of the pit crew trying to clear it by hand like they sometimes used to with the side pods.
With the rapidity of pit stops now there's no refuelling, that's almost impossible though.

I like your thinking :wink:
Thanks. These two-second pit stops make it hard to do much detail work! I suppose they could also do a nose change if things got to be a real problem. Which takes, what? Five seconds?

In the testing photos this year, I noticed they had replaced their nose-mounting hand wrenches with cordless electric screwdrivers/impact wrenches. Two guys per side, one for each of the nose fastener holes. I don't know if this is new for 2017 or not.

Four fastener-men, one nose-puller, one nose-mounter. Making these names up as I go... :lol:

PlatinumZealot

A comoressed air nozzle can be implemented on the front jack to blow out the nose.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

yes, but only if the RB13 has caught a cold.