2017 B rakes

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tifoso

2017 B rakes

Hi all,

As everyone is speaking about the increased lateral forces that F1 cars will be achieving this year, I believe that it is also interesting to note that the braking power will be also increased up to a extent where teams as drivers will be reaching new limits.

From now there have been some figures saying that about 25% more braking torque is expected (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/anal ... nt-869021/)
Brembo: "The level of grip is higher so you can basically transmit more force in a shorter time under braking. That results in the peak of braking torque – and we are predicting a 25 percent jump."
Also the rules are accounting now for this by increasing the maximum brake disc width to 32mm (it was 28mm). Even if the maximum diameter is 278mm, we have all seen differences front/rear in the brake last year: does anyone have an indication on the current diameter?

Also, and maybe for everyone´s general interest, do you know an approximate figure of the disc inner diameter?

Let´s see where does all this lead to, already now we have Haas complaining about braking issues...

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Re: 2017 B rakes

Tifoso wrote:From now there have been some figures saying that about 25% more braking torque is expected (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/anal ... nt-869021/)
Brembo: "The level of grip is higher so you can basically transmit more force in a shorter time under braking. That results in the peak of braking torque – and we are predicting a 25 percent jump."
I mean, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that most of the braking power came from the energy recovery system...? That's why we saw drivers massively overshoot turns when their ERS-K systems failed mid-race over the past few years.
So I don't think that we will see drivers braking "25% more" overall. I think there will just be a small increase based ont he proportion that the brake discs offered underneath the ERS-K system.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Cold Fussion

Vyssion wrote:
Tifoso wrote:From now there have been some figures saying that about 25% more braking torque is expected (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/anal ... nt-869021/)
I mean, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that most of the braking power came from the energy recovery system...?
How could it? The MGU-K is limited to 120 kW, peak braking power will be approaching 3000 kW.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Cold Fussion wrote:
Vyssion wrote:
I mean, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that most of the braking power came from the energy recovery system...?
How could it? The MGU-K is limited to 120 kW, peak braking power will be approaching 3000 kW.
Guess I'm wrong then... #-o :lol:
I do know that the brakes are sized based on the assumption that the regenerative braking is working as intended though - I guess that is what was causing the overshoots of corners when failures happen as opposed to them just going head on into a barrier.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

matt21

[quote="Tifoso"]Also the rules are accounting now for this by increasing the maximum brake disc width to 32mm (it was 28mm). Even if the maximum diameter is 278mm, we have all seen differences front/rear in the brake last year: does anyone have an indication on the current diameter?[quote]

At least at the front I would assume that everybody is going to the maximum diameter

Tifoso

Does anyone have any figures of the inner diameter? Front is almost for sure going to stay at 278mm but what about the rear?

PlatinumZealot

They say the rear is smaller on some cars this year. Could be track dependent though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏