Brawn and the success ballast

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
wuzak

Re: Brawn and the success ballast

SunsAnvil wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 08:30
Anything which artificially slow one car or increases the speed of other teams is wrong.
The only solution is to reduce the impact of one car upon another so they can race more closely.
And make the distribution of money more equitable.

As the big teams will not like a pay cut, the best way forward for Liberty is to give more money to the smaller teams and take teh hit to their own finances in order to grow the sport.

turbof1

I've got a much better idea, everybody will love it: just increase the chance of getting your tyres sniped appropiate to your success:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc_OMk7K4go

Success Sniping. Brawn, you better not steal this idea!

We already got a lot of positive response to this:

#AeroFrodo

m06w41

wuzak wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 10:05
SunsAnvil wrote:
Anything which artificially slow one car or increases the speed of other teams is wrong.
The only solution is to reduce the impact of one car upon another so they can race more closely.
And make the distribution of money more equitable.

As the big teams will not like a pay cut, the best way forward for Liberty is to give more money to the smaller teams and take teh hit to their own finances in order to grow the sport.
I actually like this idea. Every other business grows by capital investment so why should F1 be any different?

siwillems

SunsAnvil wrote:
I think levelling the playing field by having a fairer distribution of money would get the best result. The system at the moment could be described as artificially favouring the larger teams.
Da de dum, de da da dum.
Da de dum, de da da duh!!!

bill shoe

Success ballast is an interesting proposition. If success ballast had been in effect in 2009: When Ross Brawn bought the Honda team for $1 and sold it to Mercedes a few months later for, what, $100 million? would he be required to attach 50 lbs of weights to his body?

If Ross won't do it then should the teams?

Chuckjr

Not committing for or against a ballast, but the FIA have been trying to help level the playing field pretty radically since Ferrari and Schumacher owned most everything in the 2000's. Their attempts have done little to nothing. The power unit debacle is also an offspring of their lunacy and we still have --or had for 3 full years--a dominant team.

The FIA have even changed the points schedule in the last race two years ago to help additional people (actually just ROS) be in the mix. That was met with ridicule and if Hamilton would have had Rosburgs car that last race, the nightmare would have been complete and Rosburg would have won.

DRS is a joke.

None of the stuff they have done has worked, or even come close to working, so I want to understand why a ballast is so terrible when compared to what has been tried already?

I'm not making a case for it I want to understand why it is so terrible. Adding ballast is done in other forms of racing, and it is accepted there as a-ok. Then why, if it allowed for maybe an additional 3 teams to have a legit chance, why is that racing heresy?

Again, I'm not trying to sell the ballast idea, I'm trying to understand why it would be so terrible to have additional teams able to win. How is that not more exciting than this constantly having to deal with a dominant team and the best drivers not able to even challenge for a podium?
Watching F1 since 1986.

NathanE

Rather than champagne on the podium drivers should be forced to eat as many pies as they get points. They can choose the filling, allowing for technical innovation in the spirit of F1, but sizes and construction materials will be specified in technical regs.

riff_raff

Just the description "success ballast" leaves a bitter taste of political correctness. F1 racing is supposed to be a fair competition between designers and drivers from each team under a similar consistent set of rules.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

gixxer_drew

I loved this in SuperGT. With BOP stuff It felt a bit like the races were decided in the board room. Anyone who wanted to design something special would hate it.

Reward weight was a good way to share the glory across all teams but keep it fair for anyone to win. Gaming the reward weight became part of your engineering. Even a small privateer team could get their drivers a day in the sun.