Effects of Car in Front of Car Close Behind

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
WaikeCU

Re: Effects of Car in Front of Car Close Behind

I think the complexity of wings and aero parts are the cause why cars aren't easy to follow around the circuit. Just look at the front wings these days. It has multi elements. Up to 5 elements. I don't think any racing category has this complexity and detailed front wings. I think the front wings need to be reduced to 1 element, no brake duct vanes allowed, no rear wing support structure, then cars would be easier to follow around.

Cold Fussion

Re: Effects of Car in Front of Car Close Behind

WaikeCU wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 16:15
I think the complexity of wings and aero parts are the cause why cars aren't easy to follow around the circuit. Just look at the front wings these days. It has multi elements. Up to 5 elements. I don't think any racing category has this complexity and detailed front wings. I think the front wings need to be reduced to 1 element, no brake duct vanes allowed, no rear wing support structure, then cars would be easier to follow around.
What's the justification that a single element wing is less susceptible to another cars wake? Surely if anything a single element wing running close or at it's max AOA will be little different, or even more susceptible to vehicle wake than a multi element wing.