The "Shield" cockpit protection device - 2017 evolution

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

What proposal would you back?

The Halo as proposed by Ferrari
3%
The small screen proposed by Red Bull
15%
The Proposed Shield
17%
None of the above
66%

Total votes: 143

void

Re: The "Shield" to protect drivers?

Halo could killed Massa, deflecting the spring to his chest.
A canopy is dangerous on fire or a flipped over car, and could not save Wheldon.
Aeroscreen couldn't save Surtess, and Wilson hit on top of head, not even halo could save them.
Open wheel racing is dangerous, so Motorsport is. F1 was over confident on his safety in '94, and we know what happen. Maybe is more safety knowing the risk than think you are complete safe.
Indycar still dangerous after Wilson's death, but this weekend on Dixon's and Bourdairs' crashes the nosecone stay attached to the car.
To avoid those kinds of accident, Motorsport what caused they, avoid a flying wheel, a flying nosecone, etc.

Formula Wrong

void wrote:
31 May 2017, 04:29
A canopy is dangerous on fire or a flipped over car, and could not save Wheldon.
How do you come to the conclusion that it wouldn't have saved Wheldon? Wouldn't it have prevented the hit on his head?
void wrote:
31 May 2017, 04:29
To avoid those kinds of accident, Motorsport what caused they, avoid a flying wheel, a flying nosecone, etc.
There already has been done a lot to improve safety, but I think they shouldn't just stop thinking about better ways.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

FrukostScones

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 04377.html

as FIA is heading for definite knee jerk head protection initiative in 2018 and if this shieldy thing won't work (what is likely) we will get the HAlo.

that is madness.
you would need a new car design concept to make this head protection thing work in harmony with the rest of the car. ffs.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

seventhsin

That looks awful, surely its going to be impossible to see through it after bugs, rubber, pollution and debris.
Just as we were getting away from the era of skyscraper rear wings, step noses and penis noses, along comes the bubble car.

Samraj_official

Guys if this sort of an Aeroscreen was to be implemented starting next year,how will it aerodynamically affect the car???

1.will it increase the Drag or decrease the Drag?
2.How will it affect the airflow through the body?? (air flow above the engine cover)
3.Will it affect the air thats going to the Airbox??
4.What will happen to the S-Duct opening ???

dmjunqueira

I like it...
Much better then halo IMHO.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

I think the major concern would be the refraction of the curved surface, and perhaps reflection (if not coated with anti-glare) and drivability in the wet. Not sure if a wet session can be simulated at the British GP despite the
English weather!

Halo tests were done at low speeds and I suspect this will done at 100kmph. I hoped it could be done at a higher speed to look at how buffeting can occur.

Sevach
Sevach

I don't understand how this thing is different from Red Bull's screen...

It's better than the halo imo.

roon
roon

How about an array of thin fins, positioned to not interfere with vision, while minimizing aero influence, while offering an impervious fence fine enough to prevent small object intrusion (a deficiency of the "halo" concept), while avoiding lensing distortions from a sloped transparent windscreen. Sort of like barred sunglasses combined with a locomotive cattle guard.

marmer
marmer

is there potential for cars to go faster with that new style aeroscreen as it looks smoother than how the air normally hits the drivers helmet

FW17

It would have made sense to have a carbon halo on the top edge something a bit slimmer than what we saw with the aero screen

I thought if they decreased then angle of screen it is better form distortion point of view. Does this look right?

I still feel the aero screen was the right solution

roon
roon

roon wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 19:17
How about an array of thin fins, positioned to not interfere with vision, while minimizing aero influence, while offering an impervious fence fine enough to prevent small object intrusion (a deficiency of the "halo" concept), while avoiding lensing distortions from a sloped transparent windscreen. Sort of like barred sunglasses combined with a locomotive cattle guard.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1WoSnIFXX ... lasses.jpg

http://www.thesneeze.com/art/loose_art/cowcatcher.jpg
Similar to:

Shrieker

seventhsin wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 13:26
That looks awful, surely its going to be impossible to see through it after bugs, rubber, pollution and debris.
Just as we were getting away from the era of skyscraper rear wings, step noses and penis noses, along comes the bubble car.
I beg to differ. While we haven't seen the real thing, the render looks awesome in my book. Much better than the Halo and Red Bull's shield.

Potential problems of course are, rain, dirt, oil etc. Plus it could cause extra strain for drivers in some of the hotter races. Aaand it will NOT prevent a Justin Wilson type freak accident. No amount of safety can prevent all possible accidents tho...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

APvortex723

As someone that's raced and even unfortunately been upside down in formula car. I personally am a fan of a full canopy. And think it can be done properly.

However, that being said I think it is too late. Not because of crashes, but because the canopy (or whatever cockpit device) needs to be part of the whole car design and integrated into the regulations/monocoque design. One reason I feel we are getting such odd, and some ugly, designs is that they are just being stuck on to a car design that's already there. They had a good opportunity to include head protection with the new regs in 2017. But until there is the next large regulation change (2020?) its always going to be a strange stick on affair. Rather than an integrated design that not only functions better, but look better as well.
MSc Aerospace Engineering, Concentration: Aerodynamics
Georgia Institute of Technology
Goal to be F1 aerodynamicist

Skip Barber Race Series Driver

marmer
marmer

APvortex723 wrote:As someone that's raced and even unfortunately been upside down in formula car. I personally am a fan of a full canopy. And think it can be done properly.

However, that being said I think it is too late. Not because of crashes, but because the canopy (or whatever cockpit device) needs to be part of the whole car design and integrated into the regulations/monocoque design. One reason I feel we are getting such odd, and some ugly, designs is that they are just being stuck on to a car design that's already there. They had a good opportunity to include head protection with the new regs in 2017. But until there is the next large regulation change (2020?) its always going to be a strange stick on affair. Rather than an integrated design that not only functions better, but look better as well.
Trouble would be with making it part of the car design is some teams might try and cut corners to save weight or get more aero benefit out of it than a safety improvement.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk