The "Shield" cockpit protection device - 2017 evolution

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

What proposal would you back?

The Halo as proposed by Ferrari
3%
The small screen proposed by Red Bull
15%
The Proposed Shield
17%
None of the above
66%

Total votes: 143

krisfx
krisfx

Re: The

marmer wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 06:58
APvortex723 wrote:As someone that's raced and even unfortunately been upside down in formula car. I personally am a fan of a full canopy. And think it can be done properly.

However, that being said I think it is too late. Not because of crashes, but because the canopy (or whatever cockpit device) needs to be part of the whole car design and integrated into the regulations/monocoque design. One reason I feel we are getting such odd, and some ugly, designs is that they are just being stuck on to a car design that's already there. They had a good opportunity to include head protection with the new regs in 2017. But until there is the next large regulation change (2020?) its always going to be a strange stick on affair. Rather than an integrated design that not only functions better, but look better as well.
Trouble would be with making it part of the car design is some teams might try and cut corners to save weight or get more aero benefit out of it than a safety improvement.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I don't think this is really feasible these days, if the structure has to be crash tested it forces the teams to have a minimum specification because they'll fail otherwise,

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Re: The "Shield" to protect drivers?

An optically correct, flat-panel windscreen - is a handy device, according to Sir Malcolm..

"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

marmer
marmer

If they went jet fighter cockpit at some point the helmets would most likely change so we could see more of the drivers face which would be good

Andres125sx

Re: The

marmer wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 06:58
APvortex723 wrote:As someone that's raced and even unfortunately been upside down in formula car. I personally am a fan of a full canopy. And think it can be done properly.

However, that being said I think it is too late. Not because of crashes, but because the canopy (or whatever cockpit device) needs to be part of the whole car design and integrated into the regulations/monocoque design. One reason I feel we are getting such odd, and some ugly, designs is that they are just being stuck on to a car design that's already there. They had a good opportunity to include head protection with the new regs in 2017. But until there is the next large regulation change (2020?) its always going to be a strange stick on affair. Rather than an integrated design that not only functions better, but look better as well.
Trouble would be with making it part of the car design is some teams might try and cut corners to save weight or get more aero benefit out of it than a safety improvement.

That´s not different to current situation, but that´s the reason there are mandatory crash tests so they can save all the weight they´re able to save, while it still passes the crash tests

roon
roon

J.A.W. wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 09:59
An optically correct, flat-panel windscreen - is a handy device, according to Sir Malcolm..

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc ... 09127k.jpg

roon
roon

I've just had a stroke of genius. Two helmets. Have the drivers wear a helmet over their other helmet.

Or, if the helmet is big enough, put a helmet over the entire car.

Surely this would be the safest option. Known technologies, no visibily problems. More sponsor area.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Is there already an answer to how they are going to deal with insects and other debris ?

F1NAC

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

I'm intetesting in seeing the shield

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

George-Jung wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 05:55
Is there already an answer to how they are going to deal with insects and other debris ?
However did you miss it, G-J?
Bernie is - at long last, a goneburger..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Multi21

The shield will be useless, as soon you you get dead bugs, dust on it, your pretty screwed. It's not as if they plan to invent tearoffs for the windshields. Open seaters have always come with an element of danger so unless they want to make them full canopies, it's a pretty half hast solution

GPR-A duplicate2

Multi21 wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 11:39
The shield will be useless, as soon you you get dead bugs, dust on it, your pretty screwed. It's not as if they plan to invent tearoffs for the windshields. Open seaters have always come with an element of danger so unless they want to make them full canopies, it's a pretty half hast solution
With wipers and AC inside to battle foggy conditions. =P~ I can't imagine if Wipers doesn't work, like a headrest failure or something.

Holm86

I actually like it, especially with that ugly break todays noses have, the screen kinda keeps the lines flowing a bit nicer.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Multi21 wrote:
It's not as if they plan to invent tearoffs for the windshields.
Why not? They have tearoffs for LMP cars, GTs, etc. It would be trivial to do so and stupid not to.

ClarkBT11

ChrisDanger wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 13:49
Multi21 wrote:
It's not as if they plan to invent tearoffs for the windshields.
Why not? They have tearoffs for LMP cars, GTs, etc. It would be trivial to do so and stupid not to.
When do they get torn off, at the pitstop? A driver tears more than one of their visor during the race, would that be feasible?

TAG

The shield is a knee jerk reaction to a series of unfortunate events. IMO they have the potential to introduce more problems from visibility loss than from actually saving lives. The only "safe" solution is a full canopy, but they don't want that, so any compromise just that and if you're compromising on safety then you're just as libel as if it was an open cockpit car.

The elevated side bolsters implemented last year are probably more helpful in aiding driver safety than the shield will ever be. I can imagine having to pit because the car in front leaked some fluid and it's now all over your shield.

We just witnessed one driver throw his car at another driver and it was excused with an apology and at the same time they're promoting the shield for driver safety. It's a mad world.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत