CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
schumiGO

Ok Mates))

Hi all

Realy many mates was trying to calculate "ground effect" in all versions off FLOWWORKS (SW 2001, 2003, 2005 and all types of it).

Now it's realy interesting. Maybe it's impossible?
So.

I ready to give SchumiGo award to the first man who will be able to calculate "ground effect" in Flowworks in any version or prove that such calculation in FLOWORKS is impossible.

maybe SchumiGo arard is not so famous like NOBEL PRICE but it's good award too)))

Thanks a lot.

First step. )) Registration for candidates.

All you ideas are avalible and must de discassed.

Monstrobolaxa

Re: Models

HIPPO wrote:Hye Guys,
This is my first post although I have been a member for more than 2 years now.

But I liked thhe subject specially that it was my senior project for my final year in my mechanical engineering B.E. It was a bit different as I studied the aerodynamics of a WRC spoiler.

This said, I would like to know which CAD software and which CFD software are you using.

Because I would like to try these simulations but I don't know if they would work as my CAD software is the Solid Edge and the CFD is the Fluent 5

Thanks in advance for your help
I use CATIA design wise...and I'm learning how to work with FLUENT, though I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Star CD.

I am surprised that people have started to contribute again to this CFD forum. It was dead for like a very long time.

Hope it becomes exciting once again! :P

schumiGO

Anonymous wrote:I am surprised that people have started to contribute again to this CFD forum. It was dead for like a very long time.

Hope it becomes exciting once again! :P
Mate) Of cause everybody is alive)

Have you any idea about how to calculate "graound effect" in FLOWORKS.

West

I made an MP4/20 rear wing last night. It may not be perfect (the airfoils are completely aribtrary shapes); does anybody want to run in in CFD?
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

schumiGO

West wrote:I made an MP4/20 rear wing last night. It may not be perfect (the airfoils are completely aribtrary shapes); does anybody want to run in in CFD?
Cool mate)

What Programe did you use?

West

Solidworks 2005

schumiGO

Cool!

Have you any idea about how to calculate "graound effect" in FLOWORKS.

As far as I know there is no unit for ground effect, I hope you are talking about downforce due to bodywork close to the ground. Yes, that can be calculated in FloWorks. Please be specific about your analysis so that I can point out how to calculate it.

I made an MP4/20 rear wing last night. It may not be perfect (the airfoils are completely aribtrary shapes); does anybody want to run in in CFD?

Yes, I can do the CFD provided I am convinced the model you have produced is of quality. Please upload some screen shots of the aerofoil sections of your wing design.

Many Thanks

West

To guest: i sent Schumigo the CAD files already, you can ask him for them.

schumiGO

Anonymous wrote:Have you any idea about how to calculate "graound effect" in FLOWORKS.

As far as I know there is no unit for ground effect, I hope you are talking about downforce due to bodywork close to the ground. Yes, that can be calculated in FloWorks. Please be specific about your analysis so that I can point out how to calculate it.
Mate . Hello.

The situation is.
You draw for example fron wing of F1 car.
Then you try to flow it with air in 5cm distance from ground.
You change dimentions of CALCULATION REGION and set the lower plane as ground in 5 cm distance from lowest part of wing. And trying to set boarder conditions to "ground plane" but all that you do is not working cause FLOWWORKS think that it's not ground It things that it's only olace where Flowworks fineshed calculation process and it's not acting on wing's perfomance.
2 example.
Draw wing and add big piece of "ground" and trying to flow those 2 bodies.
The result is the same that in first example...

thanks a lot.

schumiGO wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Have you any idea about how to calculate "graound effect" in FLOWORKS.

Mate . Hello.

The situation is.
You draw for example fron wing of F1 car.
Then you try to flow it with air in 5cm distance from ground.
You change dimentions of CALCULATION REGION and set the lower plane as ground in 5 cm distance from lowest part of wing. And trying to set boarder conditions to "ground plane" but all that you do is not working cause FLOWWORKS think that it's not ground It things that it's only olace where Flowworks fineshed calculation process and it's not acting on wing's perfomance.
2 example.
Draw wing and add big piece of "ground" and trying to flow those 2 bodies.
The result is the same that in first example...

thanks a lot.
Well, your problem is quite simple.

All you have to do is to sketch a surface having a thickness of say about 20mm on a plane 5cm from your wing. After that expand the computational domain for your fluid region in such a way that one of the surface is intersecting your extruded plane. Normally you use this approach when you define your analysis as external, however you can create a solid box around your model and define the walls as your boundary conditions and it should work this time. I dont see any reason it would not work!

Please let me know if it worked.

Many Thanks.

PS. Can you please send me the wing geometry of MP4-20 at miqdadali@yahoo.com so that I can do CFD on it.

schumiGO

PS. Can you please send me the wing geometry of MP4-20 at miqdadali@yahoo.com so that I can do CFD on it.

mate .. ready.

schumiGO wrote:

mate .. ready.
Can you please send the geometry file as an IGES? We dont use Solidworks.

Thanks.

schumiGO

Anonymous wrote:
schumiGO wrote:

mate .. ready.
Can you please send the geometry file as an IGES? We dont use Solidworks.

Thanks.
no pr!! mate.

Ready.