CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula 1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
astracrazy

Re: CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics, Motorsport, Formula

hi guys, i've partitioned linux on my mac and installed openfoam and paraview. If anyone can pm some simple tutorials on what i do now i.e to run a simulation on a model i've made in sketchup etc it would be much appreciated. I feel quiet lost with this - i don't think it works how i thought it would

Many thanks!

shelly

Ther si a nice tutorial called the motorbike tutorial for openfoam. All the files needed should already be loaded in your distribution.
twitter: @armchair_aero

astracrazy

can't get it to work - stupid thing (most likely stupid me)

any one got any other suggestions for basic cfd programs? Ideally for mac or windows

Jersey Tom

Well what are you trying to achieve?

"Basic CFD" is a bit of an oxymoron. If fluid flows around racecars were "basic" there would be no need for CFD. If you want to get a meaningful result out of CFD, I don't think you'll get it from just dicking around and not understanding the science behind it. Understanding criticality of boundary conditions, mesh sizes, turbulence models, whatever.

If you're just trying to make a cool looking picture with lots of colorful swirls, may as well use Photoshop, or a printout and colored pencils.

Not to be excessively harsh, but it seems there are a number of people who just want to jump and "make plots." Well - why?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tim.Wright

What JT said.

Contrary to what I lot of people will lead you to believe, CFD (or FEA, or handling simlations, or electrical KERS simulations) are not easy or simple pieces of work. I'm very suspicious of any finite-element type analyses which is completed in less than a day. Especially if it involves assemblies.

You have to have the subject knowledge first (fluid dynamics), then you use the tool (CFD), not the other way around. What you are doing now is like buying a CNC machine without knowing how to machine.

If you still really want to make some colourful (but useless) plots, download solidworks. Even I can run a CFD analysis in that and I'm a suspension engineer :wink:

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

kilcoo316

raymondu999 wrote:Wouldn't CFD accept a COLLADA file? AFAIK COLLADA is an industry standard for interchange. It's been a while since I worked with G Sketchup, but it can export to COLLADA, last I remembered.
Would that go through Blender?

There is a simulation path of:

Blender >> Gmsh/Engrid >> OpenFoam >> Parafoam

But, as the others are saying - if you don't know what your doing.... your essentially wasting your time. OpenFoam is hard enough to set up for a practitioner, never mind a novice.

astracrazy

yes i think i misunderstood about this.

edit: has anyone had any experience with Khamsin, a Google Sketchup plugin for CFD modeling?

Rideway

POST DELETED (It has been already discussd in another topic)

Th0R

I'm sorry if this question has already been discussed in this forum, but i couldn't find it in a quick search.
Is there somewhere an overview which team uses which cfd tools? It would be great to know, which ones i still have to learn ;)

Just_a_fan

astracrazy wrote:yes i think i misunderstood about this.

edit: has anyone had any experience with Khamsin, a Google Sketchup plugin for CFD modeling?
Have you looked at this?
http://www.hibouscientificsoftware.com. ... 28A%29.pdf
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Pierce89

Jersey Tom wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Wouldn't CFD accept a COLLADA file? AFAIK COLLADA is an industry standard for interchange. It's been a while since I worked with G Sketchup, but it can export to COLLADA, last I remembered.
COLLADA may be common in 3d graphic design and gaming, but not sure it's that typical in engineering CAD work.

Standard Tessellation Language and Parasolid are definitely two popular "broad application" CAE formats.
every model we've run sims on at school, was as mentioned above, STL files
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

astracrazy

Just_a_fan wrote:
astracrazy wrote:yes i think i misunderstood about this.

Have you looked at this?
http://www.hibouscientificsoftware.com. ... 28A%29.pdf
ye i've looked just didn't know if anyone has tried it

Pierce89

Th0R wrote:I'm sorry if this question has already been discussed in this forum, but i couldn't find it in a quick search.
Is there somewhere an overview which team uses which cfd tools? It would be great to know, which ones i still have to learn ;)
It's sort of considered a performance secret. You can judge what some teams run by their sponsors. I've also heard some F1 teams run Openfoam( but with proprietary HIGHLY customized additions to the code)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

kilcoo316

Renault built their own code, one of the guys did it went through QUB a few years before me.

A real, real smart man.

I think Renault and Boeing have a thing going now regarding computational methods.

[I had thought Renault and Airbus were involved in CFD in the past... :? ]

PNSD

Anyone here have any experience with ICEM? I've been using Gambit for a few years but its about time I moved on...

Anyone here willing to answer a few questions I may have?