W wing rumours

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
manchild
manchild

Re: W wing rumours

Could it perhaps be this extreme? I had in mind really deep W that would increase overall wingspan allowing team to run blades at lower angle. That would mean same amount of downforce but much less drag since blades would be at lower angle = greater top speed.

Last edited by manchild on 07 Feb 2008, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

manchild
manchild

Perhaps vertical splitter on top or full size midplate

Last edited by manchild on 07 Feb 2008, 16:45, edited 4 times in total.

Sawtooth-spike

Thats what i had in my head 2. I drew it on a peice of paper on my desk as work. Ment to take a picture and put it on here. However i didnt go as radical, i still had Supports under the dips of the W.

I am guessing you would also get an increase in surface area with this design.

on the same concept, i always wanted to see a delta wing under the nose of the car. Mainly cus i think it would look cool
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

MrT
MrT

The lift generated by the aerofoil will be perpendicular to the foil surface because it's pressure based... with the design you suggest although you have more surface area a large component of the lift is not directed vertically but horizontally as well and therefore I'm not sure you would gain much from such a design as opposed to a standard horizontal design. Plus a large section of the wings are not in as clean air flow?

manchild
manchild

Who knows, perhaps some similar shape could make double or triple blade rear wing obsolete in favor of single blade with huge span/surface.

Mr.T, check the rear/upper blades. I thought about design of blades in a fashion - the higher the greater angle, or in other words, the higher the more bended (hope you understand what I'm trying to say).

Once again, I'm not an aero guy :)

Last edited by manchild on 07 Feb 2008, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

PNSD
PNSD

MrT wrote:The lift generated by the aerofoil will be perpendicular to the foil surface because it's pressure based...
My thoughts exactly.

This is star wars version of a W wing :p
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ri ... wwing2.jpg

manchild
manchild

Yesterday, a friend of mine asked me what do I think about these rumors and I replied that it will be nothing spectacular but just slightly waved wing. Than I read these news stories about "revolutionary" rear wing, so I reckoned "if its revolutionary than it must be radical". That's why I made those drawings, to try to guess radical solution.

axle
axle

Like your thinking manchild. Would you be able to rough something out that's with in the rules that is W shaped from above?

Could it be just 2 scooped wings (ala the BMW front wing lower section) incorporated into the rear?? Does that work?
- Axle

axle
axle

manchild wrote:Yesterday, a friend of mine asked me what do I think about these rumors and I replied that it will be nothing spectacular but just slightly waved wing. Than I read these news stories about "revolutionary" rear wing, so I reckoned "if its revolutionary than it must be radical". That's why I made those drawings, to try to guess radical solution.
This was exactly why I started this thread :D
- Axle

manchild
manchild

axle wrote:Like your thinking manchild. Would you be able to rough something out that's with in the rules that is W shaped from above?
Like this?

scarbs
scarbs

The rule prohibit bodywork (i.e. wings) from below 600mm down to 375mm above the reference plane, this is effectively the rectangular gap between the upper wing and beam wing. However, there is a 150mm allowance in the middle (and 20mm at the endplates), still I doubt your wing will fit into the T shape allowable.

With such tight constraints on the placement of the wing and the gap between the two elements (15mm max), I cant see how innovation can be applied. I suspect that the rumoured W wings profile is just more abrupt and aggressive, rather than the gently curved wings we’ve seen to date.

There is a lot more scope with the beam wing perhaps it is this area that is being exploited.

modbaraban
modbaraban

I thought it's about this sort of W-shape:
(technically this is M-shape but you can imagine it upside down it)

manchild
manchild

You both already replied while I was fixing this one according to axle's idea:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5150&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=19

I agree that "revolutionary" was mentioned just to sell more newspapers. Can't see realistic revolution in sight in that area.

checkered

Without rereading the

2008 regulations I'd say none of the "radical" suggestions falls within them. Certain distances from the rear wheel centre line (plane view) and reference plane (longitudinal section) are required ... the dimensions are quite strict. As said, Honda already ran a sort of a "dubya" wing and similar profiles have appeared regularly during the last few seasons. This leaves me wondering what the "revolutionary" part is ... if the source is not an aerodynamicist, there's also room for misinterpretations.

I guess there's always room for innovation in how the different foils are wedged in relation to each other, in an effort to attach and separate the flow appropriately in relation to the speed. All in all Mr T's notions stand - a very deep W is not going to produce the kind of L/D ratio you'd want.

It is interesting that a lot of innovation is going on just before the aero rules will likely be changed radically. Perhaps some teams have little to lose in experimenting at this point, perhaps designers want to put some ideas to the test before it's too late. Also if winglets are on their way out, some focus will shift to the "proper wings", so teams could also be taking a head start here.

Edit: I see many have pointed out similar facts. Well, it's up to Renault to surprise us, then ...

axle
axle

0.5sec a lap was quoted...so indeed we'll ahve to see what they've done - but it's fun to speculate :)

Cheers Manchild for the efforts :D
- Axle