Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ESPImperium

Re: Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Martin Brundle on the grid walk recons that Toyota are running a "triple decker" diffuser. Sam Michel said nothing but nodded slightly when he was quized about what WIlliams have somethind simmilar.

ben_watkins

Anyone got an image of the Toyota's "triple" deck diffuser?!

Also did you see Michael Shumacher and Adrian Newey taking a close interest in the Toyotas on the grid?
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

BorisTheBlade

At least also Schumacher also did that behind the BGP.

nudger

BorisTheBlade wrote:Just take a look at that:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74282

There, Brawn states, that back in March 2008 he wanted to change the regulations for the diffuser area and the area in front of the sidepods in order to close some grey area. But the other teams didn't comply. So this must be the killer argument for the 3 teams in the appeal.

Just laughed my ass of after reading that.
you do only have brawn's, rather vague, side of the story though

xpensive

As head of FOTAs Technical arm, surely he has proper documentation such as minutes of meeting, to verify this? :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

axle

If Ross says his conscience is clear then I have no grounds to doubt his words.

Internet forums are very fond of searching for lies and distrust, in the court of the internet forum people seem to be guilty until proven innocent.
- Axle

NormanBates

machin wrote:Its 3.12.5

All parts lying on the reference and step planes...
the reference and step planes go from 330mm behind the front wheel centre line to the rear wheel centre line, so those rules don't cover the diffuser

looking at the rules for the diffuser (3.5, 3.12.7 and 3.12.8 in the first page of this thread), I don't see anything that rules out multiple-deck diffusers (in particular, 3.12.7 only imposes that the lowest deck forms a continuous-line intersection with a longitudinal plane, but doesn't say anything about parts not visible from beneath the car)

xpensive

Yes of course, Ross Brawn is such a nice bloke, he could never be economical with the truth. How thoughtless of me.

axle

xpensive wrote:Yes of course, Ross Brawn is such a nice bloke, he could never be economical with the truth. How thoughtless of me.
But you have absolutely no evidence to back up your obvious desire to think ill of most.
- Axle

Metar

It's not the issue of Trial-by-Internet: This is F1 we're talking about. In F1, always suspect everyone of everything: They all try their hardest to gain a competitive advantage that justifies their multi-million investments. They will hide advantages and exploits, they will keep the specifications and secrets of their technologies secret, and do their best to uncover these of their adversaries. Suspect everyone.

xpensive

And nobody ever tells a lie in F1, we all learned that in Australia, didn't we?

Callidus80

ben_watkins wrote:Anyone got an image of the Toyota's "triple" deck diffuser?!

Also did you see Michael Shumacher and Adrian Newey taking a close interest in the Toyotas on the grid?
I was interested in this too and managed to find the following photo. I attempted to highlight the diffuser.

Taken at Malaysia on Saturday and I understand the original photo came from f1-live

Regards
Callidus80

WhiteBlue

Ross may have favoured a different, clearer wording as he claims in the Autosport report. That is still in my view the wrong thinking. As long as the leading teams and FOTA keep on trying to regulate downforce by geometric definitions we will allways have something to talk about. They have nobody to blame but themselves. The FIA long ago proposed to solve this by a physical downforce limit of 1.25 metric tons. They did not want that clear and easy solution. Now nobody should accuse the FIA that the rules are not clear. The FIA has only listened to the experts of the F1 DNA. They now have to sort this mess out somehow. But they should re offer to limit downforce as a simple and clear rule. Competition can focus on reaching the 1.25 tons by minimum drag.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

Interesting proposal that WB, 12500 N, at what speed and ground-clearance?
And how exactly would you police that, testing each car in a windtunnel?
Last edited by xpensive on 06 Apr 2009, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

Gecko

machin wrote:If the lateral holes meet the rules I can see no reason why the arrangement below wouldn't be allowed:-

I completely agree, that is exactly the interpretation I put forward in this post, albeit only in words. That is the only real way one could seriously hope to increase the area of the diffuser.