Cost of 2009 F1 nose cone

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Big JS

Cost of 2009 F1 nose cone

Geezers,

Me and my mucker were wondering what the approx cost of a 2009 F1 nose cone is??

Any advice much appreciated.

Big JS

:roll:

ESPImperium

Re: Cost of 2009 F1 nose cone

Wing is arround $30,000, nose cone, probably $15,000 to $20,000, +/- $5,000 in each figure for diffrent version.

Each team takes up to as many as 8 to each GP. Some teams take as many as 3 diffrent variations/version as well.

Big JS

Are these approx figures or have you taken them from some sort of listing?

I ask as there's money riding on this!
Big JS - Getting massive since I first laid eyes on Geoff Capes in 1984 as a whipper snapper.

ESPImperium

All teams front wings and cones cost diffrent ammounts due to diffrent construction methods and diffrent ammounts of materials. Also with the front wings being adjustable to the current rules, the mechanism of that costs arround $3,000 each side, so you can add $6,000 for each wing there.

What team are you talking about. This would help alot, as i can only give estimates without specifics.

Big JS

Ferrari, Thanks buddy!

ESPImperium

Ferrari, probably gonna cost a smaller ammount for the cone and a decent a mmount for the wing, your probably talking about $17,000 for the cone, and $32,000 for the wing, with $6,000 for the adjustable wing actuators, so probably arround the $55,000 mark in total, call it $60,000 to cover everything.

PlatinumZealot

Toyota was selling Nose cones on their website.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

ESPImperium

That was for the Toyota TF105/TF106 chassis, whitch they are selling for €2500.

flynfrog

where are you pulling these numbers from? $55k sounds way to much they are made of carbon not dollar bills.

The tooling to make them would be the expensive part that and the hand labor to layup. The actual part is rather cheap to produce. Im not going to take a stab in the dark because I honestly dont know. But you could build a rather sizable chunk of a carbon airplane for 55K

Flummo

flynfrog wrote: $55k sounds way to much they are made of carbon not dollar bills.
Agreed, sounds high. Tools are expensive, carbon fibre etc. is relatively cheap. But on the other hand, how many wings is made from each mould? With fast development each design gets obsolete in no time.

ESPImperium

Martin Brundle said in commentry that a wing is worth arroun $30,000 after Kazuki knocked another one off his Williams last year.

noname

flynfrog wrote:where are you pulling these numbers from? $55k sounds way to much they are made of carbon not dollar bills.

The tooling to make them would be the expensive part that and the hand labor to layup. The actual part is rather cheap to produce. Im not going to take a stab in the dark because I honestly dont know. But you could build a rather sizable chunk of a carbon airplane for 55K
are you taking into account cost of designing the parts ? I bet even some relatively simple parts (like i.e. suspension arms) may translate into few hundreds engineering hours, which are quite expensive. first layout, CFD evaluation, tests in tunnel, stress and modal analysis, lay-up design (all of them more than once as designing is an iterative process), manufacturing process design, tooling, testing on the test bench, testing on the track, quality checks, etc., etc.

assuming you are updating the car more than once throughout the season it means you have to go trough all this activities just to make few, maybe 10-15 parts. having that in mind I think prices mentioned here could be called a bargain.

PlatinumZealot

You are talking about the R&D costs.. But if you already did the R&D.. when a driver breaks a nose cone.. I don't think it would be that expensive to make a new one.

You can compare it to a whole carbon fibre bicycle. They both have intensive R&D. but i can't see a plastic cone costing that much.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

noname

n smikle wrote:You are talking about the R&D costs.. But if you already did the R&D.. when a driver breaks a nose cone.. I don't think it would be that expensive to make a new one. (...)
in such case you are probably right.

but if we are talking about selling F1 parts to the people for which they are useless (they will not actually drive F1 car, those parts would serve similar purpose as i.e. Rembrandt's painting), price may be set up to take into account "snob effect". those parts are purposely expensive enough to make buyer thinking he/she owns something really extraordinary.

flynfrog

noname wrote:
flynfrog wrote:where are you pulling these numbers from? $55k sounds way to much they are made of carbon not dollar bills.

are you taking into account cost of designing the parts ? I bet even some relatively simple parts (like i.e. suspension arms) may translate into few hundreds engineering hours, which are quite expensive. first layout, CFD evaluation, tests in tunnel, stress and modal analysis, lay-up design (all of them more than once as designing is an iterative process), manufacturing process design, tooling, testing on the test bench, testing on the track, quality checks, etc., etc.

assuming you are updating the car more than once throughout the season it means you have to go trough all this activities just to make few, maybe 10-15 parts. having that in mind I think prices mentioned here could be called a bargain.
I was assuming that would be the R&D budget

I guess it depends how you want to calculate costs.