Idea for a little extra aero efficiency..

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Idea for a little extra aero efficiency..

xpensive wrote:I think what you want from the F1 engine is compactness, minimum weight is limited, which would be very difficult to achieve with the surface-area needed from the cooling-fins.

My previous post above was an attempt to xplain why liquid cooling gives you an advantage in that respect.
With the current rules you have the limit on weight ,so instead of placing ballast
with the motor you could also have caooling fins .
The compactness is also not really a valid point as the engines are really dwarfed in the current engine compartments -so there is enough room for some cooling ribs and fins and ducting ,you could even delete some of the cover in favour of licked surface I think. What has to be a concern is the engine length ,as the caylinder spacing may be a problem ,that is a valid point in my view .But is it really a do or die decision to have 20mm extra engine length ? I see wheelbase difference of more than this for winning cars so I at least doubt this to be a real issue.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

The received opinion in road motorcycling circles is the change to water cooling was because the engine operating temperature is fairly consistent. With an air cooled engine the operating temperature range is significantly greater which requires greater clearance between parts which make lower specific power a requirement for reliability & useful service life.

marcush.
marcush.

tok-tokkie wrote:The received opinion in road motorcycling circles is the change to water cooling was because the engine operating temperature is fairly consistent. With an air cooled engine the operating temperature range is significantly greater which requires greater clearance between parts which make lower specific power a requirement for reliability & useful service life.
I do not get the reason why this should be.Is this really happening ? I would think that a lump of aluminium will raise and lower its temperature a fair bit slower than
the same volume of water... under the same circumstances.

What is the main benefit of water or fluids pouring over hot substrate ? the change from fluid to gaseous would possibly be the major + factor for cooling ...is something like this happening perhaps in the hot areas in the cylinderhead transferring a lot of heat into the water system in a very short time ? With regard to the often very elaborate venting systems in racecars on could almost think this was happening.
In any case cooling the aircooled layout with a fine mist of water into the airstrem could produce something like a temp. control to it...unfortunatelly aadded weight and complexity as well..