2010 USF1 Chassis

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PNSD

Re: 2010 USF1 Chassis

I think so! Or its any wonder Schumacher did do any more damage!

WhiteBlue

Ray wrote:
I thought they had to modify that chassis for Kroymans to fit and that was why the tub broke?
any source for this theory?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raceman

scary photo, I say.....

xpensive

Either way, I believe the USF1 monocoque is split horizontally, why we should hope not to see those images again.

Let's also hope that USF1 will be kind enough to release more pictures of the tub, with raised sides and open cockpit.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

Of course the video shows that the USF1 tub splits horizontally as the tubs for US open wheelers have for many years. They just need much more T-boning resistance than F1 specified in the nineties. One should not forget that many safety features popular in F1 were initially invented in the US. High side impact crash resistance are among such features.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:Of course the video shows that the USF1 tub splits horizontally as the tubs for US open wheelers have for many years. They just need much more T-boning resistance than F1 specified in the nineties. One should not forget that many safety features popular in F1 were initially invented in the US. High side impact crash resistance are among such features.
I beg to differ, many of the CART-tubs were actually split diagonally, to ensure that the driver's area was safely
sheared-off at a head-on impact, a method which I believe saved Kenny Bräck's life some years ago.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Of course the video shows that the USF1 tub splits horizontally as the tubs for US open wheelers have for many years. They just need much more T-boning resistance than F1 specified in the nineties. One should not forget that many safety features popular in F1 were initially invented in the US. High side impact crash resistance are among such features.
I beg to differ, many of the CART-tubs were actually split diagonally, to ensure that the driver's area was safely
sheared-off at a head-on impact, a method which I believe saved Kenny Bräck's life some years ago.
That may or may not be the case. I cannot testify to the diagonal method. I had a safety discussion some years ago about the Laguna Seca incident on another board and some American engineers reported horizontally split molds claiming improved side impact against T-boning which is consistent with that accident mode on ovals.

marcush.

WhiteBlue wrote:
xpensive wrote:
That may or may not be the case. I cannot testify to the diagonal method. I had a safety discussion some years ago about the Laguna Seca incident on another board and some American engineers reported horizontally split molds claiming improved side impact against T-boning which is consistent with that accident mode on ovals.
being a modelmaker myself please don´t use the word mold in this context ,the mold separating lines are not the issue here in fact the model or monocoque itself is divided into two separate sections -top and bottom halves -the two parts then are bonded together .
Of course you would prefer to laminate the tub in one piece ,but this of course would be a real nightmare for the laminator.BUT:
I would like to come back an refer to the recent discussions about airfoil construction where it was stated without any doubts that these are actually fabricated in a closed one shot process ...which makes me wonder why those guys should not be able to do something like that with a big tub as well...in the same sense it should be no more difficult..