Wesley123's F1 Model

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
wesley123

Re: Wesley123's F1 Model

well, that is a pain in the ass to do so lol. ZModeler is most of the time just screwing around with the normals etc.

But now i have a question, could you make some sort of template to texture the car?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Hades

Yeah I can map the car, but I don't have time for that now.

wesley123

well that isnt really that much of an problem. I have completed the car, made a quick cockpit, i hope it is clean though. I will upload it and send an PM with it

wesley123

Time for a new update. The car now got mirrors, a front wing support, turning vanes new nose and alot of other fins.

Lets start at the front;
The car got new strakes under the front wing, also its shape is different. The upper deck got an extra winglet, same for the end plate

Also the podvanes are new, and i have added a few winglets. The bargeboard got a footplate to make the floor legal.

The Airbox was altered too, At the rear it is tighter, and around the helmet area it got a small winglet.

I Have changed the floor too, with more winglets. The footplate got some sort of tunnel to draw air there, increasing the efficiency. The diffuser got strakes over it.

pascaljackson

hey wesly, nice ideas here and there =D>
but honestly mate, screw that focken zmodeler,its even bad for modding. switch to a proper 3d program or cad

wesley123

yeah i know lol, but i dont have the patience to learn another program, which pretty much sucks. What program is easy to learn?

wesley123

Ok pretty big update right now. I got a new floor, the car now got suspension and wheelhubs(robbed of F1 2010 Mclaren lol), A new beamwing, 80% new front wing and bodywork changes.

As you can see the diffuser got 2 strakes in it. The central deck(which is legal by the rule box that counts there) is made alot smaller although it ends at the same angle. An problem with the old one was that it hit the crashbox, so the area where these two parts meet where very turbulent and draggy. You can also see that the car got its exhaust, the guiding vanes which also hold the crashbox and the area behind it are designed to get some of its air inside this channel, thus at the end interacting with this extra attachment.

Here you can see the brand new foot plate. You can see there is some sort of slit on the inside end of it, that is an sort of flip up you also see in front fot eh rear wheels. The footplate got some sort of its own diffuser to help interact with this slit.

And here you got the brand new beam wing. It is designed for more downforce by itself, the crashbox itself also was significantly lowered to optimize the beam wing(as there is a colling hole just in front of the beam wing starting edge). By this the beam wing can be completely flat.
Also there is an vertical element on the outside, this is for under yaw to help generating downforce.
You can also see the new wing pillar over there, it is currently unfinished but i hope to design it to let it work like an f-duct.

Here you can see the area in front of the rear wheels, it got an double duct to draw air under the floor and then a small flip up, this all is to reduce the rear wheels interference with underbody aerodynamics. The car consist of 2 flip ups, the left one bends and is connected to the footplate, the right one bends around the footplate and runs through till the diffuser, so effectively you have nearly no normal airflow onto the footplate, most goes over the diffuser, which in turn also generates more downforce.

And he new front wing, It got a completely new cascade deck, the second end plate was removed and filled up with an strake from the cascade and the end plate oft he cascade. In front of its trailing edge is a small winglet.

You can see the new cascade here, it is an triple element wing with double element end plates. This part is just designed for downforce and it is placed strategically in front of the tire.
Also you can see the inner end plate which is new, at the inside of that there is a new winglet, all to just help the airflow better around the tires and through the suspension.
What you also can see here is that i have lowered the nose significantly, with this the underside of the nose becomes upwards too, generating downforce by itself and more by the skirts.

For future things I plan an 5-piece front wing(excluding the 3-piece cascade), this is easily possible with the chord length of the front wing. Also, due to the raised crashbox(and thus in turn higher CofG due to the raised gearbox) it would be particularly easy to make the car an double floored car, just to regain the df that was lost by the ban of the DDD, in turn of that this floor will act as the second deck, thus will raise much higher, just under beam wing height.

imightbewrong

Just a quick tip for your screen-printing. Press [alt]+[print screen] instead of just [print screen] and you'll take a screenshot of just the active program.

wesley123

Well, I already knew that that is possible to do, but I never minded it to do so lol. Will sure do that with the next pics! Thank you for the tip!

sknguy

Just a modeling thought. High-poly count models are important for the texture mapping process. If your going to convert to rFactor, or for rendering, you might consider your mapping processes (normal/diffuse/occlusion etcetera). Mapping is a whole other stage and is really an art unto itself. In any event, high poly models can be important down the road. So you might be glad you did them.

wesley123

Well, ZModeler is bullying me with mapping so that would be an huge pain in the ass to do so(more then others). I would really love to make this model game ready, but I am simply lacking the patience to do so.

sknguy

Excellent model by the way. This can all be quite tedious but zModeler's a pretty decent tool to work with regardless. If you have any questions about texturing or uvmapping with it just let me know.

wesley123

Well, I would love to see this car in-game for example in rFactor, do you think you could map this model and get it in game?(well, the model might need alot of fixing, need some extra parts, but I want to focus more on the development on the car itself) I really do not set an time limit for it, I am pretty much able to do the physics for the car and painting wouldnt be much of an problem either. If you want to do it can you send me an PM? then I send you the model as-is so you can mirror and fix it.

wesley123

A New Update, again pretty big. To lead it in, I reverted to the original high nose cone, I made new front wing pillars/Skirts and also the central section is done.

I made the car KERS ready by extending the splitter forward and making it fatter, the weird bulge is cut and is mad as an cooling intake. Good part of this is that the transistion to the sidepod is much better.

There are large changes to the front wing arrangement too, as I already said i did rebuild the skirts and also I reverted back to the high nose cone. The front wing got a new third plane, built to work better with the new end plates. The end plates changed too, now the second plane is connected to the end plate, so the fin on the cascade isn't needed anymore. With that, the extension of the cascades trailing edge was bought back to allow more air to pass through there. The upper cascade was widened a bit to the full front wheel length, increasing downforce and front wheel management plus its end plate changed and it got a small winglet on the outside. Also the third end plate changed, adding an fin increasing downforce. Adding such an larger winglet to the cascades own end plate was never planned due to the different flow fields going on there. Now there is an tunnel created to clean up the airflow.

No we can go further backwards, as there is an completely new airbox which is much tighter. It also got an full length shark fin connecting to the rear wing, which was modified to work better with the shark fin.

Now we go to the rear wing. The rear wing was changed alot, with the main plane being more anhedral, being swept down at the end plates(well, it is pretty wide though)

The biggest change though is the placement of the wings slot and the main plane trailing edge, both being much higher than before.

Also on the end plate its connection to the diffuser was changed, now having an bend extension with the end plate itself cut short, this bend completely merges with the diffuser wall, with this helping air over the extension.

On the floors side, this wasn't unchanged either, with the footplate being redone. It is now completely flat with an upward wave on the middle.

wesley123

okay, I did an revamp of the front wing again.

This version got an extra cascade element which makes the cascade full width. This cascade element is just used for controlling the airflow through the suspension arms.

Also there is a new, more advanced end plate which got more side profile. It connects to the second element which is bent itself, because its connection is not at its trailing edge there is some sort of open hole there, allowing airflow to merge. Also this end plate got a mclaren like fin on the top, helping with the airflow management.

The strake setup was changed too, the outboard ones tuned to direct air around the front tire, these 2 strakes work with the end plate causing some sort of tunnel there. The long strake there also has an bent top edge causing air which flows upwards to be turned a bit further around the tire.

Also there are a few really small changes on the front wing(few geometry changes on there) and a few bodywork changes which arent that much worth to be showed(probably unspottable lol).