Need pics of F1 uprights

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
747heavy

Re: Need pics of F1 uprights

maybe you should change to 1/5 scale 20% model instead of a 1/4 25% model.
You will be able to buy some parts, like tires and brakes (disc brakes) off the shelf.
You still could make your own chassis (carbon monocoque) etc.
I would not try to make my own tires, that seems a lot of hassle - if you want to make real rubber tires.
Foam tires is o.k. and not too difficult to make, but maybe they don´t look the part.

There is a world championship for 1/5 scale gas powered R/C cars.
A friend of mine used to race them in Australia.
They use air/foam filled rubber tires, even rain tires - you can buy them.
And best/funnies thing of all, they even use tire warmers/blankets.

A 1/5 gas powered F1 car looks like this.

Touring car like this

more info´s here:
http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/FG-In ... la1_e.html
http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/PDF-A ... b-safe.pdf
Last edited by 747heavy on 21 Aug 2010, 07:18, edited 4 times in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

ubrben

747heavy wrote:RBR RB6 rear upright
hope it helps - good luck

I'm slightly amazed that the upper leg in this image shows a 4-sided hole in a stiffness critical part. Surely a triangulating web would add a lot of stiffness - especially seeing as they have to be Aluminium now.

Ben

747heavy

some photos of F1/single seater carbon tub´s as a inspiration for your own project:

some info´s about composite sandwich construction:
http://www.diabgroup.com/europe/literat ... ich_hb.pdf
http://www.compositebuilding.blogspot.com/

how does a carbon - nomex honeycomb - carbon sandwich look?

you can buy the "core" material honeycomb or foam in different thickness as sheets
Look into the catalouge/website from R&G Composites and you will find it.

some more tire options maybe:
http://www.bishopracingproducts.com/catalog.php
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

mep

Those 1:5 tires are not very accurate on scale. The rear ones are like 1:4,5 and the front ones didn't fit to the F1 rules at all. They where to narrow. Now with the new rules the could fit.
(I guess I am a bit super critical)

Regarding that honeycomb core.
Isn't that stuff quite expensive?
I wonder why nobody sells that stuff on e-bay.
At least I could not find it.

Tim.Wright

ubrben wrote:
I'm slightly amazed that the upper leg in this image shows a 4-sided hole in a stiffness critical part. Surely a triangulating web would add a lot of stiffness - especially seeing as they have to be Aluminium now.

Ben
I'm sure its there for a reason. I can think of a few;
Passage for cooling for the brakes. This is quite common in upright designs these days

The stiffness about the wheel spin axis is not as important as something like camber/toe stiffness. No point making something stiffer than it needs to be.

Finally, the outer surface, the one closest to the camera looks like a reinforcing web (there is another surface on the back of the upright too) which will give longitudinal and spin stiffness to the part. If you cut through the 'leg' you will see a C-section to the structure which probably gives enough stiffness for what they need

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

747heavy

yeap Mep you are maybe right in regards to the tires (have not measured them :lol: )

but just for giggles here is some more of the stuff:

tire warmers:
front tires:

tires

and you can get them in different compounds as well (prime,option :lol: )
look here:
http://www.harm-racing-products.com/ind ... tyres.html
http://www.fgsupply.com/1_5th_scale_on_ ... ert_1.html

As for the honeycomb, yeah it is not that cheap, but ebay is maybe not the best place to look for it anyway.
It also depends, which type of honeycomb you would like Alu/Nomex/Aramid/others.

For his model it´s affordable (IMO):
as an example: 3 mm Aramid honeycomb core ~31€ for sheet 61cmx112cm
but he can use Airex yellow/green foam core in 2-3 mm is ~7.50-9.00€ a sheet,
that will do the job, and is much easier to use, if you don´t have prepreg and use wet laminat techniques.

So now we are so far OT, that we either get kicked out of here, or start a composite thread :lol:
Sorry mods :oops:
Last edited by 747heavy on 20 Aug 2010, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
- Colin Chapman

mep

I don't think we are of-topic. The guy who made the topic was asking for picture of uprights but it tourns out that he is more asking for help for the car he wanted to build. Its similar to the long control arm topic. The topic just doesnt fit the posters real desire.

Regarding e-bay:
I think its strange that you can get every metal you want there and prolly everything else but no honeycomp.
There are so many things you can build with Nomex honeycomp. Planes, boats, surf-boards, cars,...
There should be plenty of people using it and having ofcuts. Ideal for such a small chassis.

newyorkkopter

maybe you should change to 1/5 scale 20% model instead of a 1/4 25% model.
You will be able to buy some parts, like tires and brakes (disc brakes) off the shelf.
ahh problem is I already built a majority of the bodywork(like the initial mould)
But still maybe some of the parts could come in to use; like the disc brakes for example.

Or maybe I could build another, and do it as a 1/5

But either way, the stuff you posted is really something. Thanks for that, really.

Yea I apologize about trailing off into something else from the initial topic
I was thinking starting a new thread, something like “1/4 RC F1 Discussion”, but should it be in this forum?
Because the questions I’d be asking would be based around technical stuff.

Brake ducts

Maybe ventilated rotors; I don't plan on going with that wing initially (maybe could use later as a optional low drag wing)

Rear suspension