Low Cost F1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Richied76

Re: Low Cost F1

see i know you all say "materials arnt the main cost of f1" BUT theres only so much to design with a limited amount of materials. I wasnt thinking in one car, i'm thinking the whole year! It cuts alot of waste. you either get it right at the start at the begining of the year and have a few tweeks through out. It would also rid the f1 world of 60% wind tunnel models (which cost a fortune and dont actually get raced) because the wind tunnel 100% model would become the race part after testing. Plus teams like renault wont be developing 20 odd different wings a year. Way i see it, take away the means to be wastefull with materials, you take away the need for such a big R&D department. Along with manufacture. Also how about introducing Maximum weights. INCLUDING fuel, but not including driver. keep saftey levels the same and force the teams to get weight distrbution spot on, rarther than using expencive ballast materials, AND to improve fule consumtion

noname

Re: Low Cost F1

machin wrote:I just don't see how a budget cap would work; No one has ever managed to convince me that they can stop a "technical partner" from developing the next new-fangled-gizmo for £500M and gifting it to the teams as part of a "sponsorship deal".... or a team spending £1Billion developing a new transmission system for their high-performance "road-car" concept and then "oh look it fits on our F1 car too, fancy that!".

The problem with F1 is that the cost isn't in the materials -its in the design team and facilities.... too easy to hide away a design team somewhere methinks....
it's not the problem of F1. our economy forces us to spend more and more, not looking for savings. the more team will spend the more jobs (consumers) would be... at the end of the day "money makes the world go around".

as long as there would be someone ready to buy it (and Bernie is working hard to make it happened) let them play. for me spending money on F1 is as good as using it to create sh...t like iPod or iPad. at least I'll have some fun watching the races or catch-up games (like who will copy McLaren's f-duct first we saw last year).

ps. for clarity... I am not in opposition to Machin, just wanted to add my few cents ;)