Simulator technology

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
FW17

Re: Who builds the simulators?

Think you are mistaken by the word simulators in f1 teams

It is more of a sofware driven tool rather than harware. The F1 teams simulators puts together a track data by combining various parmaters/test results from other individual testing equipment such as wind tunnel, suspension test rigs, and all other mechanical parametes. The simulators is used to verify/predict behavior of updates, rather than to provide a driver experience.

Most teams either develop the software inhouse/outsourced to their specific requirment

v This is not F1 guys call simulators, this is more for a driving experience

raymondu999

Simulators in F1 can be used to see how a new part should theoretically perform, and the driver can give feedback to improve this theoretical characteristic; but it is also very much for practice and learning new tracks.

Apparently though most teams run a souped up version of rFactor Pro, probably kitted out with specific team customisations.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JiMbO

This place in france seems good.... http://uk.i-way-world.com/

shelly
shelly

@williamsf1: a f1 simulator is instead something very similar to the pictures you posted, to simulate laptime with driver in the loop. Data come from off line tests and computations on the simulation tools you mentioned.
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

samples for you to see:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfRDVGtXJ4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSatAI81k9w[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Here's a carbon copy of the Mercedes GP sim.

This one is based in Sindelfingen, Germany. But Brackely has a copy of this same simulator.

With its 360° screen, fast electric power system and a twelve-metre long rail for transverse movements, the dynamic simulator is the most advanced in the automobile industry. As an equally advanced feature, part of the energy required to drive the simulator is obtained by means of energy recuperation when braking, and fed into the power network of the Sindelfingen plant.
More could have been done.
David Purley

ImAnEngineer
ImAnEngineer

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Here's a carbon copy of the Mercedes GP sim.

This one is based in Sindelfingen, Germany. But Brackely has a copy of this same simulator.
With its 360° screen, fast electric power system and a twelve-metre long rail for transverse movements, the dynamic simulator is the most advanced in the automobile industry. As an equally advanced feature, part of the energy required to drive the simulator is obtained by means of energy recuperation when braking, and fed into the power network of the Sindelfingen plant.
No they don't. They don't need the full input ranges that you do for modelling a road car to trial updates so their simulator will look nothing like this.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

ImAnEngineer wrote:
No they don't. They don't need the full input ranges that you do for modelling a road car to trial updates so their simulator will look nothing like this.
I'm not sure if that's Mercedes SIM or not, but I assume JET knows what he's talking about. It seems as though maybe you're not aware of how some teams SIM's look because the Ferrari F1 SIM looks almost exactly like the Mercedes unit.

Ferrari Simulator

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im8sDuoWj3s[/youtube]

PlatinumZealot

grano123 wrote:I was just wondering if the simulators used by teams, are built in house or from a commercial supplier?

Either answer...........what do they cost?
Nintendo.

8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Miguel
Miguel

Heh, I think I saw the USF1 simulator then in the Science museum (London, UK):

EDIT: I removed the pics and videos of the above posts
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

manchild
manchild

grano123 wrote:I was just wondering if the simulators used by teams, are built in house or from a commercial supplier?

Either answer...........what do they cost?
£66,000.00 Inc VAT

There is one for sale:

http://shop.mementoexclusives.com/base- ... bp0001.htm

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

check out Lexus' simulator, i know its not a Formula 1 simulator but i was quite impressed with it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Zz-_Po2eo

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ Iam an engineer

In late 2010/early 2011 Mercedes issued a press release that they were upgrading the facilities at Brackley to include a brand new simulator.
From memory I recall that no outside company was involved in the development of the simulator and, that it would be based on the Sindelfingen unit as I posted above.

Minus the road car needs and add the F1 requirements, and you are looking at the Mercedes GP sim.

I will search for more information regarding this, when I have time. But if you go back the the Mercedes GP team thread, you will find the information I posted almost a year ago.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

WhiteBlue

Who builds the simulators? The answer is mainly the teams with the technical support by suppliers with high competence in the field of servo hydraulic and servo electric equipment. The Ferrari simulator was done with Moog and there is also Bosch Rexroth and to a smaller degree Parker. Those companies have operated in the drive business for decades, and are involved into aircraft hydraulics, fly by wire and simulation for aerospace and military purposes. There must be some other independent companies from those industries who don't come from the drive component side but do the software and electronics integration. I do not know those.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)