Slit exhausts -are they worthy?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
shelly
shelly

Re: Slit exhausts -are they worthy?

@marekk: if you exploit coanda effect you can obtain very large jet deflection: coanda effect is in fact used for stol aircrafts.

I agre with you that mechanical energy in ehausts is not that big, but I think it is enough for local flow conditioning and downforce
twitter: @armchair_aero

shelly
shelly

BreezyRacer wrote:You guys really need to understand just how much wake/turbulence comes off those rear tires.
I think we know already.

marekk
marekk

shelly wrote:@marekk: if you exploit coanda effect you can obtain very large jet deflection: coanda effect is in fact used for stol aircrafts.

I agre with you that mechanical energy in ehausts is not that big, but I think it is enough for local flow conditioning and downforce
AFAIK coanda effect use in STOL's and aircrafts with blowed flaps is restricted to increasing achievable AoA - that means, you have to position this additional "coanda iniducing" flow in the direction of main flow. It works as separation point control device, and helps main flow to stay attached to wing/flap combo.

Pure coanda (in absence of external flow) has many restrictions - separation angle depends very strong on how close to coanda surface you blow, so it needs a real nozzle for it to work. You can't blow to much either - it will result in early breakdown.

That said, it's very interesting area of study for F1, and could bring serious gains on many places (virtual skirts, flows redirection, skin drag reduction ...).

What's needed IMO, is to find the way to have high pressure gases at hand, without compromising engine breathing needs to much. Exhaust driven compressor for example, with output connected to various outlets on the chassis :)

shelly
shelly

Agree with you that making coanda jet work on a f1 is far-fetched.
Let us see how exhausts evleve this season.

Talking about less unconventional solutions, I still see more scope of developemet for thin rectangular exits; unless of course some team comes out with cylindrical exhaust pipes with swril inducers at the end...