MP4-26 diffuser material

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
tinvek

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

what it means is that there must be at least that much weight on each "axle", it doesn't mean that that both minimum figures can be met at the same time,i.e. if you hit 342 kg on the rear, you'll need 298 kg on the front, not the permitted minimum of 291 kg.

the idea's to limit the variation in weight distribution this year to stop one team getting lucky with a weight dist that suits the pirellis, next season when everyone has 12 months experienc ewith them, they are free to use a wider range of distribution

raymondu999

I see hollow's point. 291+342 minimum on each axle. So it could be anything from 298+342, to 291+349. I get that. Now let's say the weight distribution is, x:640-x. Whatever X may be. But that is, with the driver inside. How exactly do they measure that?! :wtf:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly

raymondu999 wrote: But that is, with the driver inside. How exactly do they measure that?! :wtf:
With the driver inside.
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

No, what I mean is, do scrutineers actually go and weigh the thing with the driver inside? I've never seen that happen.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Dragonfly

I'd imagine the opposite - driver and car go to the scrutineers to get weighted :)
With 4 point electronic scales it's not a complicated process.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

hollowBallistix

raymondu999 wrote:No, what I mean is, do scrutineers actually go and weigh the thing with the driver inside? I've never seen that happen.
I've never seen that either, but the driver would effectively act as a ballast, so they would have to weigh the car & driver to see if the minimum front & rear weights distrubition limits are met & that the total minimum weight is over the 640kg

How do they take into considration the fuel that may be left in the tank after qualifying ? if for examble during pre season testing one of the teams found that the car performed better with a weight distrabution that falls outside the guidelines, surely they could get around it based on the fuel weight & shape/position of the tank in the car ?

shelly

raymondu999 wrote:No, what I mean is, do scrutineers actually go and weigh the thing with the driver inside? I've never seen that happen.
IIRC cars are tested this way random during Fp and qualy; the driver coming into the pitlane stops in the FIA garage and the car is quickly weighted and measured
twitter: @armchair_aero

McG

I think they do random driver in car weigh ins. Think I remember some drivers qualifying being ruined by it.

On the weight distribution of the heavier titanium diffuser....

Isn't weight distribution quite an important thing? Unless just by chance the extra weight of the titanium didn't compromise the balance.

McLaren will be testing s diffuser made of ice cream. Sorry no source.
F1 is dead.

adrianjordan

McG wrote:I think they do random driver in car weigh ins. Think I remember some drivers qualifying being ruined by it.
Yes I remember a few occasions back in his BAR/Honda days when Button missed the cut because of being called in to be weighed...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

MikeFromCanada

TRICKLE69 wrote:McLaren MP4-26 - revised exhaust layout 27 March 2011

Both Ferrari and McLaren have followed Red Bull in the layout of their exhaust systems, but while the Scuderia had theirs on the car at the last Barcelona test, complete with new sidepods and aero package, the Woking team only prepared their new pieces in time for Australian Grand Prix. The exhausts are longer and blow into a cut-out outside section of the diffuser (as on the Red Bull). Another change is that the diffuser is now made in titanium (highly resistant to heat), using a quick prototyping technique.

This was here --> http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 4/845.html on the F1 website and this does confirm the diffuser has been made of Titanium...I would have thought 100% it was carbon with the Zircotec coating but I guess not.
It wouldn't be the first time the technical section of F1.com was wrong, if it is indeed wrong. Still, though, I'd still be leaning towards titanium based on surface finish alone.

Muulka

McG wrote:I think they do random driver in car weigh ins. Think I remember some drivers qualifying being ruined by it.

On the weight distribution of the heavier titanium diffuser....

Isn't weight distribution quite an important thing? Unless just by chance the extra weight of the titanium didn't compromise the balance.

McLaren will be testing s diffuser made of ice cream. Sorry no source.
I'm pretty sure that Kobayashi got a grid penalty last year for not coming in to be weighed. Can't remember where though....

forty-two

[quote="Muulka"
I'm pretty sure that Kobayashi got a grid penalty last year for not coming in to be weighed. Can't remember where though....[/quote]

Yep, I too remember that, but I too (wierdly!) can't be sure where it was.

I remember seeing a marshall/FIA official in the pitlane gesturing Kobayashi to turn into the FIA garage but he didn't. IIRC he was already annoyed about something, and I think in the heat of the moment he failed to see the bloke.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Fil

MikeFromCanada wrote:
TRICKLE69 wrote:McLaren MP4-26 - revised exhaust layout 27 March 2011

...Another change is that the diffuser is now made in titanium (highly resistant to heat), using a quick prototyping technique.

This was here --> http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 4/845.html on the F1 website and this does confirm the diffuser has been made of Titanium...I would have thought 100% it was carbon with the Zircotec coating but I guess not.
It wouldn't be the first time the technical section of F1.com was wrong, if it is indeed wrong. Still, though, I'd still be leaning towards titanium based on surface finish alone.
It's pretty conclusive when it comes straight from the horse's mouth. Titanium.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdbbWhvg ... re=related[/youtube]
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Formula None

Another change is that the diffuser is now made in titanium (highly resistant to heat), using a quick prototyping technique.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 4/845.html
So some kind of rapid prototyping for metals, if they're correct on this. SLS or electron beam welding. I'm still of the opinion that it started life as sheet metal though.

Scarbs, you out there man? Can you confirm with any sources at McLaren on the process they used?

ringo

Formula None wrote:
Another change is that the diffuser is now made in titanium (highly resistant to heat), using a quick prototyping technique.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 4/845.html
So some kind of rapid prototyping for metals, if they're correct on this. SLS or electron beam welding. I'm still of the opinion that it started life as sheet metal though.

Scarbs, you out there man? Can you confirm with any sources at McLaren on the process they used?
It didn't start life as a sheet. It started life as powder. I've been saying this a while now and people find it hard to believe.

Either powder or a block of titanium was machined and i don't think they would machine a block to create something 3mm thick.

That diffuser was simply printed.
For Sure!!