Correlation between CFD and wind tunnel results

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32

Re: Correlation between CFD and wind tunnel results

I found a new $99 million tunnel in Canada with a 4.85 m fan that is 2500 KW continuous or 2900 KW limited duty. That is over 3000 HP. Now this does not include the air condition system that is good for -40 C to + 60 C at 5 to 95% humidity.

Hass NASCAR tunnel:

The main fan has a diameter of 22 feet, and is rated at 5,100 Hp
The fan is capable of producing a maximum air speed of 180 mph
At maximum air speed, the fan produces an air flow volume of 2.85 million cubic feet per minute, and its total power consumption is 7 megawatts

Brian

hardingfv32

Re: Correlation between CFD and wind tunnel results

WilliamsF1 wrote: 1) So why should it run 24x7? Do teams make so many models?

2) What is the axis of rotation on the rolling road? can it rotate both horizontally and vertically?
1) I would say a good amount of time is spent with model setup and calibration. It is not clear if the F1 wind tunnel restriction relate to the wind tunnel facility or just when it is blowing.

2) The rolling road can rotate in the horizontal plane. The auto manufacture's tunnel rolling surfaces can be a separate unit per wheel with chassis dynamometers under each wheel. They also have “thru-the-belt” measurement system measures the aerodynamic down force under each tire through the belt. I can imagine that they could also use a four post system under each wheel to induce chassis movement.

I have never heard of vertical movement other than for service activities. What would be the benefit?

Haas NASCAR tunnel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w3kzWH7e4k

Brian