nipo wrote:Can the mods please explain why we need a voting functionality in the first place? Thanks.
I think like/dislike, agree/disagree etc are pretty easy to recognize from the replies themselves. If there's a specific reason we need to put this opinion down as a quantity in the system, I am ready to hear. But I myself can think of none.
Off the top of my head :
- Another option for sorting messages and searching for messages.
- A means to be made aware of quality posts. There are too many messages on the forum to read them all.
- A means for users to express pleasure or displeasure, which they do anyways, but at least now it won't take up a whole quoted post so we can see +1. People type +1 and -1 as it is, why not give them a button?
- Voting on post quality makes content alive and gives a whole other way to sort and find info.
- If a question is asked, and 10 people answer, but only one is right, the correct answer will be usually be easier to find, but the others will not be made unseen.
If this is optional to use, and gives users more options and power while cleaning up the site, why wouldn't you want it?
If you have ever spent any time on a site like Reddit or Digg you might see it the same as me.
I can see someone not caring about it, but I can't see how it's viewed as a negative.