How is the forum rating system doing?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
el-Magico

Re: How is the forum rating system doing?

But if spacepace felt the need to mention that, it would be kind of strange if he would have said that out of the blue in the Caterham topic? 8)
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

hollus

If everybody said all the time everything they felt like saying, wherever they happened to be reading, this would be the least interesting place in the universe.
We already have the internet for that!
Rivals, not enemies.

Holm86

I just got downvoted in the "Wind tunnels - dumb question" Thread. I guess its because my post was already rated +1. Some people just like to downvote I guess.

el-Magico

^ That happend to me also once, believe it or not.. there was a time I was +2.. Haha :lol:
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

Bomber_Pilot

I got downvoted once for pointing out that a certain language wasn't slovenian as it was claimed. But in any case, for me it doesnt really matter if we have a rating sytem or not, or how many up or down votes a person has. Why? Because I can tell the difference on my own between those who actually contribute to this forum, whether by asking interesting questions or answering them, writing constructive comments, posting interesting pictures, sketches, or contribute in any other way and those who seem to just write stuff to up their post count or to mess with other members.

el-Magico

Holm86 wrote:I just got downvoted in the "Wind tunnels - dumb question" Thread. I guess its because my post was already rated +1. Some people just like to downvote I guess.
Today it happend to me again.. I got 2 upvotes and then someone downvoted them, just for the sake of downvoting..

It is kind of pathetic.. but hey, nothing you can do about it.. some people just get their kicks from it. :roll:

Pup
Pup

el-Magico wrote:Today it happend to me again.. I got 2 upvotes and then someone downvoted them, just for the sake of downvoting..
If you can tell us why these two jewels of yours deserve to be voted up, I'll vote them back up myself:
el-Magico wrote:This car really look great!!
el-Magico wrote:Like we haven't seen that video yet... :|
The pertinent question: Why were they ever voted up to begin with?

Ciro Pabón

I don't know if this is already implemented or what, given the fact I only participate when I can contribute something, which is becoming more and more rare for me.

So, apologies if this is already water under the bridge.

Is there a way to filter posts depending on the votes?

It would be nice to do it both ways.

I mean, I would love, once in a while, to read only the comments of the more upvoted (is that a verb? Apparently it has become one... :)) members.

It would be like being surrounded by wise, tactful and knowledgeable guys. LIke a dinner with the Dalai Lama, Pope Francis, Martin Luther King, Ghandi and Bertold Brecht.

I also would love to read only the comments of the most rejected people.

If I'm allowed to say so, I love contrarians (and... is that a noun? Apparently, it should be).

Besides, it would be like being around my friends (they are indecent people, if I may add: "my friends pee in the middle of the road", as Joan Manuel Serrat eloquently put it once).

I would like to confess that I'm a little tired of getting upvotes only.

I guess it's because I'm old and people is compassionate: kind of people ceding you the disabled seat on the metro. It's a tad embarrassing. It means people doesn't fear you any more... :wink:

Some days I would love to become a troll, only to get a lot of downvotes and, in that way, become the rejected guy of the club, if only for a moment.

Frankly, I wonder if I would drive like Kamui Kobayashi, given the opportunity. :evil:

The moment of truth for the downvote/upvote thing came to me in an instant: a girl I loved a lot, back in the time, very romantic, btw, sent me a message with AC/DC's "You shook me all night long".

Yeah, I know, that can be seen by someone as kind of confusing. Some people will understand the point immediately. Bad to the bone anyone?

So, my advice: don't give a sh..t about your votes. Say what you want to say (no matter if wise people advises you to become as wise as them). The only way you're going to be interesting (not loved, but interesting) if by being you.

I guess it's kind of driving a race: if you think too much about yourself and about what others think of yourself, you make a lot of mistakes.

Drive as if you were the only racer in the track (or in the forum).

Oh, and, of course, let's give a hand to Steve (a more rational one than mine, something that should be quite easy).
Ciro

bhall

Ciro Pabón wrote:...I love contrarians...
No, you don't.

Pup
Pup

Ciro Pabón wrote:Some days I would love to become a troll...
Now here's a man who just doesn't appreciate what he has.

Holm86

I'm very annoyed that some people in here uses their downvotes to hate on people they don't agree with. WB gets a lot of downvotes. Just in the engine thread his post was hidden because of downvotes and I don't feel like there is anything wrong with his post. Its just like there are somebody just downvoting because they don't like him.

Steven
Owner

Increase the treshold to hide posts is one of the possibilities to mitigate this behaviour.
Will have to check though if there's systematic abuse against WB.

WhiteBlue

Holm86 wrote:I'm very annoyed that some people in here uses their downvotes to hate on people they don't agree with. WB gets a lot of downvotes. Just in the engine thread his post was hidden because of downvotes and I don't feel like there is anything wrong with his post. Its just like there are somebody just downvoting because they don't like him.
The whole system is much more an exercise in sympathy than anything else. I opened a thread on the revolutionary carbon technology of the BMW i3. All I got for my effort was one down vote although I provided lots of data and links for people to find information about the issue "automotive technology". When you see this you get frustrated a bit when some intellectually challenged individuals get hundreds of up votes because they are popular.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

iotar__

How is ranking system doing I hear you ask?
As usual - it's a breeding ground for mental cases running around and "downvoting" posts from February (Bahrain test thread) in May #-o.

Pierce89

Steven wrote:Increase the treshold to hide posts is one of the possibilities to mitigate this behaviour.
Will have to check though if there's systematic abuse against WB.
There's no systematic abuse of anyone. Besides anyone worried about their rank on an internet forum has much larger problems.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher