Watermarking other people's photos?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
turbof1

Re: Watermarking other people's photos?

theWPTformula wrote:Taki Inoue managed to peel off my watermark of one of my drawings and post it on his Facebook and Twitter pages. Tried to get in touch with him but, inevitably, he wasn't going to say a word. Not just the Italians...
I checked it out. Apperently he did the same with one of scarbs' images. I wrote a message to him, let's see if we can pressure him out of that behaviour. You put your watermarks right through the drawings right? He really must have made an effort to get that removed. Too bad he never did the same effort when he was in a F1 car.
#AeroFrodo

theWPTformula

turbof1 wrote:
theWPTformula wrote:Taki Inoue managed to peel off my watermark of one of my drawings and post it on his Facebook and Twitter pages. Tried to get in touch with him but, inevitably, he wasn't going to say a word. Not just the Italians...
I checked it out. Apperently he did the same with one of scarbs' images. I wrote a message to him, let's see if we can pressure him out of that behaviour. You put your watermarks right through the drawings right? He really must have made an effort to get that removed. Too bad he never did the same effort when he was in a F1 car.
I do now but before they were either part of the car's "livery" or just beneath. Updated my watermark for this year after that incident and it looks better now anyway! ;)

zonk

Who and where?

theWPTformula

zonk wrote:Who and where?
Not sure about other people, but my incident came about in January when Taki Inoue posted my prediction of the 2014 Force India on his Twitter and Facebook pages. Kind of annoying but I guess you have to take these things with a pinch of salt.

Richard

Watermarking other people's photos?

Pup wrote:Since the moderators/administator have remained silent on this, and the offending posts continue, I take it that they consent to the practice.
I agree ripping other people's work without credit is wrong.

However the thread has talked about generalities, no one has actually linked to any ripped images alongside the original post .

By the way, I'd advocate first using the approach described by Hollus. Most people will respond favourably to a polite email.

turbof1

richard_leeds wrote: However the thread has talked about generalities, no one has actually linked to any ripped images alongside the original post .
I actually did mentioned a specific case in a message to Steven (which didn't involve any of my work, just to be clear).

I'm very sure moderators condemn this. There's no need to point the guilt finger to them. I also believe the members themselves just take a more pro-active stance on it.
#AeroFrodo

Pup
Pup

Well, the images in question aren't mine, so a polite email from me would rightly be responded to with a polite "mind your own business".

If these guys are trying to build their businesses on the backs of the photographers without paying for the right to do so, that much is between them and Sutton, imo. And since the posts themselves don't bother me, I only brought it up to make the admins aware, since I'd think there's the possibility of some action against the site should Sutton and the others decide to do something about it. If you guys don't think it's a big deal, that's cool with me. If you want, I'll report a few so that you know which users might be using the photos illegally.

And of course, I could be wrong - these guys might have worked out a license with Sutton that allows them to use his photos without retaining his copyright. I doubt it, but it's always a possibility.