imgur issues

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
djos

Re: F1Technical 2016 update

So why is it some of us can see the images?
"In downforce we trust"

nevill3

Re: F1Technical 2016 update

I have received a reply from Imgur, it appears that there is a block but they need a site admin to contact them to confirm that we only use the hotlinks within their TOS.

One for the Moderators or admin staff, I have copied their reply to me below
Mar 10, 13:00
Hi there,

I'd be happy to look into this for you. It looks like that site has been blocked from hotlinking. Can you confirm that no Imgur images are being used outside of the forum? We allow hotlinking on forums, but hotlinked images cannot be used as content on a website, including blog posts, avatars, site elements, sales, and advertising. my emphasis If you're unsure please encourage a site administrator to contact us. For more information, please see our Terms of Service: imgur.com/tos. Sorry for the confusion!
Best,
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

nevill3

Re: imgur issues

I have posted in the technical update thread about contacting imgur and their reply suggests that they have blocked this website from hotlinking.
due to a possible infringement of their TOS.

here is a copy of my post in the other thread
nevill3 wrote:I have received a reply from Imgur, it appears that there is a block but they need a site admin to contact them to confirm that we only use the hotlinks within their TOS.

One for the Moderators or admin staff, I have copied their reply to me below
Mar 10, 13:00
Hi there,

I'd be happy to look into this for you. It looks like that site has been blocked from hotlinking. Can you confirm that no Imgur images are being used outside of the forum? We allow hotlinking on forums, but hotlinked images cannot be used as content on a website, including blog posts, avatars, site elements, sales, and advertising. my emphasis If you're unsure please encourage a site administrator to contact us. For more information, please see our Terms of Service: imgur.com/tos. Sorry for the confusion!
Best,

strad

don't even get me started on people improperly hotlinking. :evil:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

I said this before, but those who want to put their avatar on the f1t server, please PM me.
An alternative is to set up a gravatar account and use it from there.

Steven
Owner

After people were asked to relocate their imgur avatars, the remaining have been deleted one week later.
We have also enabled the possibility to upload your avatar on f1technical, which makes usages of external image hosters not a necessity anymore (in addition to the possibility to use gravatar).

In the meantime, imgur has been contacted, and they will unblock f1technical asap:
Hi there Steven,

Thank you for waiting. The team has taken the time to review the site further and agree that any TOS infractions have been cleared up and we feel unblocking the website is warranted. Please allow up to 24 hours for this change to roll over. We do apologize for any inconveniences.

Thank you again for writing in to look further into any issues with the website.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please reply back to this message and I will be happy to help further.

nevill3

Glad it is sorted, you would have thought that they would have informed someone at F1Technical in the first place when they banned our links, rather than leaving us to find out ourselves and sorting it out internally .

Steven
Owner

Well, a quick google search reveals that quite a few, also much larger forums that this one have been blocked. Many of them don't appear to have a solution yet, so some may end up reading this here ;)

It surprises me really that they are making a fuss about avatars, which are usually just a few KBs, while they have much bigger images stored and served frequently. I guess there's a limit to everything, except if google would make such a service ;)