Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:09 pm

zgred

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:34 pm

New Brawn-eske style diffuser???

ESPImperium

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Better view:
Dmitry

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Very good eye! Seems almost nobody has shots of the Red Bulls these days. Also note the VGs on the upper outer corners of the diffuser exits, ala McLaren .. a very nice touch.
BreezyRacer

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:51 am

That cooling hole out the back of the cover has got a lot bigger to, or am I just seeing things.
Confused_Andy

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:55 am

Confused_Andy wrote:That cooling hole out the back of the cover has got a lot bigger to, or am I just seeing things.

No, it is bigger prolly due to the heat/humidity.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
djos

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Almost everybody are useing Brawn style diffuser now
Tonn

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Tonn wrote:Almost everybody are useing Brawn style diffuser now

And front wing alos.

The RB5 has the 2 "Deep dish" sections that the Brawn have had since launch, Force India were the first to adopt them into their design.

I can see almost every car next year coming out looking like the BGP001 in one way or another.
ESPImperium

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:45 pm

There are a few aero designs that are still unique this late in the season. What springs to my mind are William's shaping fins below the nose, the Brawn front splitter with the "cow catcher" deflector, the Red Bull low tail, the Red Bull high nose section.
BreezyRacer

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Are there any updates on Red Bull's engine supplier for 2010? It would be great to see this car fly with a Merc engine.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan
outer_bongolia

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:05 am

zgred

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:54 am

outer_bongolia wrote:Are there any updates on Red Bull's engine supplier for 2010? It would be great to see this car fly with a Merc engine.

From what I read and posted in the Williams concludes Toyota deal thread, McLaren have veto'd RB having Merc engines.
- Axle
axle

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:53 pm

maybe the brawn style is most proven version of the DDD no harm having a tried and tested version adapted to the RB5
mstar

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:25 pm

I don't like the way RB are so fickle with their engines, they just jump on what they think is best without an regard for contracts etc. They used a loophole to dump the Ferrari engines on STR.

If the engines are to be 'equalised' RB would be better off sticking with the Renault engine which they already know rather than using something else and having to redesign a chassis around it.
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP
Diesel

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Diesel wrote:I don't like the way RB are so fickle with their engines, they just jump on what they think is best without an regard for contracts etc. They used a loophole to dump the Ferrari engines on STR.

If the engines are to be 'equalised' RB would be better off sticking with the Renault engine which they already know rather than using something else and having to redesign a chassis around it.

that is true, but the associated merc engines with it require far less cooling, so even smaller sidepods are possible.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender
wesley123

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development