Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
scarbs
scarbs

Re: Lotus 2010 Car

czt wrote: Why would Lotus have 2009 spec wheels and tyres? Lola didn't have proper pneumatic tyres on their wind tunnel model and they had a lot more prep time that the Lotus effort.

I don't believe those wheels are bolted to the uprights, hence the uneven cambers and inconsistent positioning of the rims relative to the brake ducts (see the head on shot in particular). I would suggest that the model is a wheels off model, sitting on some blocks placed under the floor, with the suspension drooping onto some wheels positioned roughly in the correct place. Even if it were true that they were being used to support the model on the surface table, you wouldn't expect the geometry to be so far out - it's supposed to be replicating a real car!!

Of course the car has differences to the Force India in the areas you've mentioned - it's a 2010 car, so those changes are bound to have been made. The front wing, front brake ducts, front barge boards, rear wing, and even engine inlet are all pure 2009 Force India!
As I explained, the wheels in the pictures are simply for the set up area and possibly are simply soem found lieing around at Fondtech, But as you point out its a wheels off model, so these have impact on its design or testing. The front end is no dount an FI inspired set up, which makes sense bearing in mind Gascoynes and Fondtechs experience. Other iterations will no doubt be tried as devleopment continues.
The engine inlet is not undercut like the FI and whats similar with the rear wing?

Alexander Krechetov
Alexander Krechetov

Date in the file properties of these pictures:
Image Image
is October 3, 2009.
___

New photo (with narrow 2010 spec front tyres):
Date: unknown.

And photo of monocoque's matrix.
Date: October 20, 2009.

Source

wesley123
wesley123

And see here, the last placed cars for 2010 season.

For real, they took Force indias beginning season front wing, also copied the nose assembly, the sidepods are huge, the airbox is huge, i dont know what they want to achieve, but it seems lotus is gonna be next seasons joke.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

wesley123 wrote:And see here, the last placed cars for 2010 season.

For real, they took Force indias beginning season front wing, also copied the nose assembly, the sidepods are huge, the airbox is huge, i dont know what they want to achieve, but it seems lotus is gonna be next seasons joke.
Did you see the first 09 FW Honda tested at the end of last season? It was nothing like what they brought to the actual car. This is probably just a rough baseline, doubt that it is what we'll actually see in the end.

But there is a big probability that the Lotus will be one of the backmarkers, yes.

roost89
roost89

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=219
Force India is, apparently, looking into the new Lotus car because of design similarities between the FI and the Wind Tunnel design of the Lotus.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Scotracer
Scotracer

F1 is set by specific regulations - what possible legal ramifications can possibly result from two similar looking designs, since there are only a finite number of variations that can exist?

I mean, F1 teams copy all the time :|
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

greenpower dude reloaded

despite all of the FI talk I have to say the cockpit all looks very Brawn GP to me that dip at the very front of it in particular, any idea what thats about?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

greenpower dude reloaded wrote:despite all of the FI talk I have to say the cockpit all looks very Brawn GP to me that dip at the very front of it in particular, any idea what thats about?
Take a look closely at some more cockpits, most have this feature. I think it's due to the heavy regulations in this area. FI have it as do McLaren, Red Bull, maybe all of them?

Astro1
Astro1

This might blow up yet.

A new Formula One espionage scandal is threatening to erupt.

Switzerland's Motorsport Aktuell reports that Force India is concerned that the wind tunnel model of Lotus' 2010 car strongly resembles the Silverstone based team's current VJM-02.

The common denominator is Mike Gascoyne, Lotus' technical boss but formerly with Force India.

It is believed that Force India has outstanding debts with the Italian company Aerolab, which is used by Gascoyne for its wind tunnel facilities.

When Force India stopped working at the Fondtech facility, a scale wind tunnel model was left behind. Gascoyne is now working with Aerolab/Fondtech on the Lotus F1 project.

"If at all, that is a legal problem between Fondtech and Force India," Gascoyne is quoted as saying.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=351279:F1

greenpower dude reloaded

Just spotted another picture today at http://lotusf1racing.my/ of the mould all bolted together, It's really fascinating seeing a team this open I know they aren't doing anything new, but for me I find it all incredibly interesting.

And good point.... Now you come to mention it I even remember noticing those bits on the FI... D'OH

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

wesley123 wrote:the sidepods are huge
Bigger fuel tank dude...

freedom_honda

I think this is seriously stupid. I mean both car is designed by the same person, and most engineer has their own philosophy/style, of course the cars they design are gonna be similar.

wesley123
wesley123

kilcoo316 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:the sidepods are huge
Bigger fuel tank dude...
yeah that sure explains why the rear is the same size as the front, the side pod doesnt become lower or more compact to the rear end.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bjpower
bjpower

why would you copy a car that came last?
when i was in school i didn't copy my answers from the inbred kid.
i copied from the clever one.
also why copy from a car that does not use your engine.
last time i checked that was a fairly major component of a F1 car

i just see this a pointless never ending F1 crap.
the teams should have broken away when they had a chance.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

wesley123 wrote:yeah that sure explains why the rear is the same size as the front, the side pod doesnt become lower or more compact to the rear end.
Frontal size is dictated by massflow requirements of the radiator which is dictated by the cooling requirements of the engine engine.

Length by wheelbase, radiator size, fuel tank and aerodynamic centre considerations.

Rear size is dictacted by massflow requirements of the radiator, designspace requirements for the engine/exhausts and aerodynamic influence of the diffuser.

With the DDD/TDD/QDD, you can expect to see teams try and clear more space further upstream of the diffuser, in other words to worry more about moving things forward than getting things lower to the ground at the rear of the sidepod.

Anything else?