Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raceman

Re: Ferrari F10

Pandamasque wrote:Image
nice shots, thanks Panda.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

raymondu999 wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
gibells wrote:Image

@ Crabs. See this pic. Pretty sure I can see a white heat resistant panel through the fins, extending out to the exhaust opening.
Gills are illegal. The sidepod in the background doesn't seem to have them. Could be they're just putting these in front of the garage to show off the sponsors.
There is. Squint hard at the one in the back. You'll see the leading (frontmost) gill on the cover.
Yep. Clearly my eyes aren't as good as they used to be!

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

mx_tifosi wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
It's things like this that makes Ferrari so annoying - they moan about other teams playing with the edges of the rules but they do the same themselves. The diffuser row last year being a good example.

I'm not sure any other team is so vocal about the legality of other teams whilst being clever themselves. Hypocrisy is probably the best word for it...
Surely you cannot compare the affects of a diffuser to those of cooling gills can you? I think they're massively different in the level of importance.

Although I agree with how Ferrari reacts negatively to others' clever designs but has no problems in designing and using their own.
It's not just cooling. The gills do actually produce some downforce. Not much but a little bit and every little helps. Having had a good look at them, I don't think anyone can have any complaints - they've clearly found a clever way around the regulations and so deserve credit. I just hope Mclaren can find a way to use them on their exhausts which seem a lot tighter to the centre line and towards the rear which may not be the ideal place for the gills to be effective.

chasefreak
chasefreak

Code: Select all

It's not just cooling. The gills do actually produce some downforce. Not much but a little bit and every little helps. Having had a good look at them, I don't think anyone can have any complaints - they've clearly found a clever way around the regulations and so deserve credit. I just hope Mclaren can find a way to use them on their exhausts which seem a lot tighter to the centre line and towards the rear which may not be the ideal place for the gills to be effective.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

I think that's in the permitted zone close to the cockpit. That's a fair distance from the exhausts.

bar555
bar555

engine cover at Bahrain
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Formula1.com: Ferrari F10 - aerodynamic wheel device
For the 2010 season the FIA have outlawed the carbon fibre wheel fairings that became so popular in 2009. In a move that may be seen as going against the spirit of the regulations (but which has been approved by the FIA), Ferrari have instead incorporated an integral aero device (inset - yellow rings) into the design of their wheel rim. The device is detachable (main drawing), but to be legal it is made from the same material as the rim itself. As wheel rims have to be homologated and can't be changed during the season, Ferrari's rivals will be unable to copy this."
Legal!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ringo

And other teams can't copy all because a team can only declare a single wheel design for the whole season correct?
Ferrari are very slick, they basically will be the only ones with this advantage!
For Sure!!

forty-two

ringo wrote:And other teams can't copy all because a team can only declare a single wheel design for the whole season correct?
Ferrari are very slick, they basically will be the only ones with this advantage!
Plus, I'm guessing that if this device turns out to be an impediment, they'll cite safety concerns before removing the seperate bits... Very clever.

Surprised none of the other teams copied between testing and now though. I would have thought such a mod would be pretty simple to copy? Or am I way off?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

mstar
mstar

forty-two wrote:
ringo wrote:And other teams can't copy all because a team can only declare a single wheel design for the whole season correct?
Surprised none of the other teams copied between testing and now though. I would have thought such a mod would be pretty simple to copy? Or am I way off?
thats what i thought surely be easy to do something like that? :?:

autogyro
autogyro

The wheels look pretty but I doubt there is that much of an aero or cooling benefit. The flow around the wheel when it is open (without the fixed covers of last season), will be very turbulent.
Main cooling will still be scoops to the disks and callipers.
I think the bullet wheel nuts will give a noticable increase in wheel change times though.

raceman

bar555 wrote:Image

engine cover at Bahrain
this is a nice shot.

Crabbia
Crabbia

this is from friday FP1. so they must be legal. somehow... would be interesting to know for sure what the loophole they exploited was.
Personaly i think it was the allowed bodywork zone (being 30cm from the rear of the cockpit template).

this added to ferrari's exhausts being very forward made it beneficial and legal to put the gils there.

but the small slit theory could also work, although i'd like a closer clearer pic to be convinced. i'm thinking even though there isnt high aero loads on this part there could still be some flex and they could pick up problems with moveable aero laws.

Islamatron is probaly gonna sh*t a turkey when he sees this.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Fil

Crabbia wrote:Islamatron is probaly gonna sh*t a turkey when he sees this.
:lol: you got a real laugh outta me for that one!

very clever by Ferrari. will be fascinating to see how many teams can come up with something similar by Barcelona..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

gibells
gibells

From an outsider's point of view I don't blame Ferrari too much for pushing out the envelope a little. I was dubious until I saw the splits in the louvres. So fair-play to them.