Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Formula None

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

What is being hidden behind this bulky cover (highlighted yellow below)? I think they may take this off at some point. Also, note the slot near the starter hole:

Speaking of the slot near the starter hole, how is it being fed? I think RBR might be up to something here.

Diffuser slot detail:

I'm getting the impression that the RB7 may have more than one exit path for each of the 2 exhaust pipe outlets. There may be a loophole in the maximum exhaust outlet number rule (2 max) by releasing the exhaust in front of bodywork that can divert the flow to different areas of the car.

Exhaust flow could be diverted simply by the design of the diverter inlet (1 into 2, 1 into 3, etc) and the % of exhaust being diverted to each path could also be established.

Alternatively, there may be a fluidic switch hidden away that can direct most of the exhaust flow from one path to another. Surely they learned a lot about such methods last year with the f-duct and learning how to aim the exhaust flows at the diffuser EBD inlets while taking into account the engine speed and freestream velocities. There was even talk that the exhaust flow could be steered by playing with the engine speed, ignition retardation and consideration of freestream velocity.

With that in mind, I created some illustrations (not to scale by any means) of an exhaust diverter and a fluid switched exhaust (not sure where the control end would be though, if this is the case):

gridwalker

Wouldn't a switched exhaust system count as a Variable Exhaust Geometry (which is explicitly banned)???

I don't think that even Newey would try to get away with that one.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Italiano

In my books that's the definition of VEG. NO way in hell can that be legal.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

scarbs

5.6 Exhaust systems :
Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits.

Raptor22

gridwalker wrote:Wouldn't a switched exhaust system count as a Variable Exhaust Geometry (which is explicitly banned)???

Well actually, define exhaust geometry...

do you mean path length or do you refer to shape intermes of twists and twirls.

geometry is a very loose word...and a bit of imagination means that two paths that do not alter the exhaust tract length constitutes a single geometry...

wesley123

gridwalker wrote:Wouldn't a switched exhaust system count as a Variable Exhaust Geometry (which is explicitly banned)???

If you would make the system somehow similair to the F-Duct system i cant see why it wouldnt be.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mith

Umm... That one might be a bit funny ;)

How about feeding exit system with exhaust finishing just before it with very little space between both? So exhaust would have only two exits and everything after that would be just shaped floor in the same way as crash structures became upper deck.

Richard

wesley123 wrote: If you would make the system somehow similair to the F-Duct system i cant see why it wouldnt be.
Well for a start driver actuated air switches are banned. Also, they are only allowed two exhaust exits .... unless they bring the exhaust banks into one central exit at the rear, and one at the front. :shock:
Last edited by Richard on 03 Feb 2011, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123

Well I thought about it, The exhaust just blows in there and from there it would become 2 tunnels, then that could be made legal somehow, being pressure driven
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Raptor22

all you realy need ot do is design a clever interlocking system where the exhaust fits into the diffusore without physucaly joining with it. You can separate the ducts thereafter using a fluidic switch.
this would circumvent the rules quite nicely :twisted:

i70q7m7ghw

Just had a thought. Looking at starter motor slots and that second deck on top of the Red Bull diffuser...

Could you have a double deck diffuser fed by a clever starter motor hole?

axle

scarbs wrote:5.6 Exhaust systems :
But....could you route exhaust gasses using something else afterwards??

Personally I think RB are experimenting with which way to flow the gas for the best overall gain, not splitting it.
- Axle

i70q7m7ghw

axle wrote:

Personally I think RB are experimenting with which way to flow the gas for the best overall gain, not splitting it.
That'll be down to what is defined as an exhaust outlet. Is it where the metal pipe ends? or can exhaust outlets be made out of carbon fibre? Why not?

In the spirit of the rules, it's where exhaust gases finally exit the car, so this is illegal by those standards.

hecti

Diesel wrote:
axle wrote:

That'll be down to what is defined as an exhaust outlet. Is it where the metal pipe ends? or can exhaust outlets be made out of carbon fibre? Why not?

In the spirit of the rules, it's where exhaust gases finally exit the car, so this is illegal by those standards.
Really?? This is the problem with F1 today, people that see a loop hole(or a "loose" rule) and decide to close it instead of letting the flaw in the rules be fully exploited.
This experimenting/ingenuity/looking for an advantage is what f1 is about, its all about who can get closest to breaking the rules and pushing design and engineering to the limit. Thinking outside the box!!
I honestly think that the exhaust ends where the exhaust pipe ends and you can do anything afterwords, split it, combine it, deflect it, etc...

bjpower

It will be intresting to see where the exausts will end up at the end of the season. renaults at the front, RBs channeled to the defuser etc.