British GP 2011 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:24 pm

MrBlacky wrote:They never drove on this layout with KERS. I don't get it neither.

The 2009 track was different, the 2011 layout is the same as 2010 but a different start/finish line. Cars drove the 2009 version with KERS.

Are you suggesting that it is a mental overextension to visualise how KERS usage will be altered?
"You can't change what happened. But you can still change what will happen.
Sebastian Vettel"
PlatinumZealot

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:30 pm

richard_leeds wrote:Image

If the pit entry is taken at racing speed, you would overtake cars on the circuit as you went in, and probably get to the speed limit line before they come round the final corner, pit stops could be quite short with this layout. Would need to see what the entry road is like, but we could see cars belting down it at racing speed. It essentially skips 2 out of the 3 final corners, which are both slow speed.
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP
Diesel

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:50 pm

Looks like there is a long enough exit to rejoin at racing speeds. Seeing that will be quite different to the tight confines of recent races in Monaco, Montreal & Valencia
richard_leeds

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:37 am

It's much safer than the old exit as well.
For Sure!!
ringo

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:26 am

That new pit is very interesting. If the time lost in the pits is relatively small, teams may consider an additional stop which does not cost as much as on other tracks, me likey!
Mandrake

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Diesel wrote:If the pit entry is taken at racing speed, you would overtake cars on the circuit as you went in, and probably get to the speed limit line before they come round the final corner, pit stops could be quite short with this layout. Would need to see what the entry road is like, but we could see cars belting down it at racing speed. It essentially skips 2 out of the 3 final corners, which are both slow speed.

Club is really an acceleration zone after Vale. That's how Brundle usually describes it anyway.
Just_a_fan

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:01 pm

The pit exit empties right onto the apex. We are going to have some interesting lane merging going on.
"You can't change what happened. But you can still change what will happen.
Sebastian Vettel"
PlatinumZealot

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:43 pm

It's on the outside of the corner though and I expect the "no cross" line will extend beyond the corner apex by some way.

Of course one thing that will happen is the the line around the outside of this fast corner will be somewhat cleaner than usual so it might help an overtake attempt on the way in to the new Village complex.
Just_a_fan

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:22 pm

my weather channel report predicts rain on Fri Sat and Sun.... will this spice things up or help the domainating Red Bull driver Vettle???????!
"Double points is Tyranny!"
FrukostScones

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:42 pm

It might, but I based on Canada 2011, we've seen that the package of Vettel + Red Bull RB7 is also very good in the wet. We haven't seen how Hamilton+MP4-26 in the wet really performs given his early retirement. Button+MP4-26 won the race in Canada, but he was at his strongest when the racing line was (almost) bone-dry.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:48 pm

raymondu999 wrote:It might, but I based on Canada 2011, we've seen that the package of Vettel + Red Bull RB7 is also very good in the wet. We haven't seen how Hamilton+MP4-26 in the wet really performs given his early retirement. Button+MP4-26 won the race in Canada, but he was at his strongest when the racing line was (almost) bone-dry.

Not really fair to judge on a track like Montreal, Low DF so teams at Silverstone would have a different reaction, for instance the Michael+W02 was as fast as Seb+RB7.
Byronrhys

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:22 pm

I don't think that's quite accurate though; Michael+W02 was never as fast as Seb+RB7 in Montreal this year. You could see that in the laps when both were in clean air (near the ending). Also, as some teams have said, Montreal isn't really a low downforce track any longer
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:10 am

@ Ray, I think Byronrhys is correct when referring to the wet stages of the race....In the closing bit MSC lost out dramatically, but when it was wet, MSC did pretty pretty well!
Mandrake

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:07 am

Mandrake wrote:That new pit is very interesting. If the time lost in the pits is relatively small, teams may consider an additional stop which does not cost as much as on other tracks, me likey!

I think it will depend where the pit lane speed limit point starts. I suspect it could come before the final turn into the pit,.
CHT

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:10 am

I think some teams would even be testing that during FP. Can't wait for Friday!
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One races