British GP 2011 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: British GP 2011 - Silverstone

MrBlacky wrote:They never drove on this layout with KERS. I don't get it neither.
The 2009 track was different, the 2011 layout is the same as 2010 but a different start/finish line. Cars drove the 2009 version with KERS.

Are you suggesting that it is a mental overextension to visualise how KERS usage will be altered?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

i70q7m7ghw

richard_leeds wrote: Image
If the pit entry is taken at racing speed, you would overtake cars on the circuit as you went in, and probably get to the speed limit line before they come round the final corner, pit stops could be quite short with this layout. Would need to see what the entry road is like, but we could see cars belting down it at racing speed. It essentially skips 2 out of the 3 final corners, which are both slow speed.

Richard

Looks like there is a long enough exit to rejoin at racing speeds. Seeing that will be quite different to the tight confines of recent races in Monaco, Montreal & Valencia

ringo

It's much safer than the old exit as well.
For Sure!!

Mandrake

That new pit is very interesting. If the time lost in the pits is relatively small, teams may consider an additional stop which does not cost as much as on other tracks, me likey!

Just_a_fan

Diesel wrote: If the pit entry is taken at racing speed, you would overtake cars on the circuit as you went in, and probably get to the speed limit line before they come round the final corner, pit stops could be quite short with this layout. Would need to see what the entry road is like, but we could see cars belting down it at racing speed. It essentially skips 2 out of the 3 final corners, which are both slow speed.
Club is really an acceleration zone after Vale. That's how Brundle usually describes it anyway.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

The pit exit empties right onto the apex. We are going to have some interesting lane merging going on.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

It's on the outside of the corner though and I expect the "no cross" line will extend beyond the corner apex by some way.

Of course one thing that will happen is the the line around the outside of this fast corner will be somewhat cleaner than usual so it might help an overtake attempt on the way in to the new Village complex.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FrukostScones

my weather channel report predicts rain on Fri Sat and Sun.... will this spice things up or help the domainating Red Bull driver Vettle???????!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

raymondu999

It might, but I based on Canada 2011, we've seen that the package of Vettel + Red Bull RB7 is also very good in the wet. We haven't seen how Hamilton+MP4-26 in the wet really performs given his early retirement. Button+MP4-26 won the race in Canada, but he was at his strongest when the racing line was (almost) bone-dry.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Byronrhys

raymondu999 wrote:It might, but I based on Canada 2011, we've seen that the package of Vettel + Red Bull RB7 is also very good in the wet. We haven't seen how Hamilton+MP4-26 in the wet really performs given his early retirement. Button+MP4-26 won the race in Canada, but he was at his strongest when the racing line was (almost) bone-dry.
Not really fair to judge on a track like Montreal, Low DF so teams at Silverstone would have a different reaction, for instance the Michael+W02 was as fast as Seb+RB7.

raymondu999

I don't think that's quite accurate though; Michael+W02 was never as fast as Seb+RB7 in Montreal this year. You could see that in the laps when both were in clean air (near the ending). Also, as some teams have said, Montreal isn't really a low downforce track any longer
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake

@ Ray, I think Byronrhys is correct when referring to the wet stages of the race....In the closing bit MSC lost out dramatically, but when it was wet, MSC did pretty pretty well!

CHT
CHT

Mandrake wrote:That new pit is very interesting. If the time lost in the pits is relatively small, teams may consider an additional stop which does not cost as much as on other tracks, me likey!

I think it will depend where the pit lane speed limit point starts. I suspect it could come before the final turn into the pit,.

raymondu999

I think some teams would even be testing that during FP. Can't wait for Friday!
失败者找理由,成功者找方法