Ferrari 150° Italia

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
munudeges

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

The whole point of doing this wasn't to integrate the wing with the rest of the car but just to test it and see what it was doing. The front wing is the only feasible part of the car you can really do that with.

ringo

The cars are very modular becuase of the regulations. They are like Leggos.
There is one optimum, the redbull, and ferrari have the guts to attain it.
Copying pieces does work.
Forget all the old time gems about fronts wing determine flow to the rest of the car..yadda yadda.. This was back when wing design wasn't as refined as it is nowadays.
Today each wing basically opperates in the same way and produces almost the same wake pattern, thanks to the regulations.
All wings will work on all cars and give only slight behavioral differences. It could make a car faster or slower, but it's not going to turn a car into a useless pile of carbon fiber.
The benefits that this wing gives the redbull will be given to ferrari if they use the wing. The nose sections are almost the same. The tyre sections are exactly the same. The a arm locations are almost the same, the splitter, etc.
The regs make copying very viable.

I'ma revive the push rod vs pull rod thread as the season is nearing a close. Some nice discussions and predictions to look back on and stir up. :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

marcush.

to duplicate a wing from half a wing found some where in the park of monza is really no big issue todays.
You can scan the wing and its pieces surely in less than one day , the ASCII or CGO files go straight into your CAD system to create the mesh and surfaces and the surfacing guy will fumble a decent surface in another day .Press scale button and define the tooling parting line and you can start machining the mold halves for your windtunnel model .As the centre section of the wing is a spec part there is really not much work involved to fit the wing to the existing nosecone pillars.
I´d say within one week you can have a first run in the tunnel and decide if it is worth producing full size parts and if you thought it needs to be evaluated on the car anyways you could already have started producing the parts in paralell to your windtunnel work..2weeks not much more and you have it on the car ready to test .Even though I have to admit that one important aspect -the non isotropic bendy bit - needs a bit more time to investigate and calculate...Not all FEM calculation programmes like unisotropic behaviour....but then they work with CF for long time already.

Paul

Even if they can't use it, they can sell it to Red Bull as a spare part. Every penny counts!

PlatinumZealot

hahaha.

Well Alonso says he wont give any feedback on the wing - for obvious reasons. He certainly was not complaining throughout the race!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

myurr

ringo wrote:The cars are very modular becuase of the regulations. They are like Leggos.
There is one optimum, the redbull, and ferrari have the guts to attain it.
Copying pieces does work.
Forget all the old time gems about fronts wing determine flow to the rest of the car..yadda yadda.. This was back when wing design wasn't as refined as it is nowadays.
Today each wing basically opperates in the same way and produces almost the same wake pattern, thanks to the regulations.
All wings will work on all cars and give only slight behavioral differences. It could make a car faster or slower, but it's not going to turn a car into a useless pile of carbon fiber.
The benefits that this wing gives the redbull will be given to ferrari if they use the wing. The nose sections are almost the same. The tyre sections are exactly the same. The a arm locations are almost the same, the splitter, etc.
The regs make copying very viable.

I'ma revive the push rod vs pull rod thread as the season is nearing a close. Some nice discussions and predictions to look back on and stir up. :mrgreen:
I'd love to know just what you think the teams spend all their aero dollars on when they should just be photographing the Red Bull and copying individual parts... Do you really think all that fine tuning would still work even with macro-level changes?

Are you also saying that Tim Goss, Engineering Director at McLaren and with a heck of a lot more experience than you, is either wrong or lying when he says you couldn't just bolt parts from the Red Bull on to the McLaren car and expected them to work? He said this live on the BBC just last weekend in the F1 Forum, about 10 minutes in.

Ps. My previous post was incorrect where I said it was Jonathan Neale, it was Tim Goss.

Crucial_Xtreme

I was browsing F1 on SpeedTv.com as per my usual at least once a day and came across this "Grand Prix News Brief" which had an absolute awesome & true quote from Alonso. See bolded sentence.

Ferrari Development Back On Track For 2012: The race failed to yield even a podium place for the famous team, but Korea showed that Ferrari is getting back on track. That is the claim of team boss Stefano Domenicali, who referred to the successful debut of a new front wing raced to fifth place by Fernando Alonso. The part, based on the 2012 car philosophy, was not necessarily much faster than the conventional wing run to sixth place by Felipe Massa. But according to Domenicali, the "data obtained in the wind tunnel matched the data seen throughout the (race) weekend, so it's a good sign. There is no doubt," AS newspaper quotes him as saying. He was referring to Ferrari's earlier troubles with the correlation of information between the wind tunnel and the track. Spaniard Alonso hopes the team can provide him with a good car for 2012. "I do not need the best car to win the world championship, just a competitive one," he is quoted as saying.

I believe with 110% certainty that Fernando can do just that if given a truly competitive car. 2010 is evidence of that considering the RB6 was the better car. I'm just hoping that the Scuderia get back on track and don't start the season behind it's rival like this one. I believe with the lack of EBD and the subsequent "exotic engine mapping" ban I think Ferrari may be in contention by default. Of course you never know. Let's just hope next years car is better than the 150 Italia.

Original source--> http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... iefs114/P2

aleks_ader

Very good sign!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Lycoming

myurr wrote:Are you also saying that Tim Goss, Engineering Director at McLaren and with a heck of a lot more experience than you, is either wrong or lying when he says you couldn't just bolt parts from the Red Bull on to the McLaren car and expected them to work? He said this live on the BBC just last weekend in the F1 Forum, about 10 minutes in.
Strictly speaking, they would work. Its a matter of effectiveness. I would also disagree that you can swap parts like the front wing and see little change in performance, even considering that we typically measure the gap between front runners in tenths of a second. The reason is that by that logic, there is no reason why the new teams should be finishing several laps down in every race of several seconds behind in every qualifying session.
Crucial_Xtreme wrote: "I do not need the best car to win the world championship, just a competitive one," he is quoted as saying.[/i]

I believe with 110% certainty that Fernando can do just that if given a truly competitive car. 2010 is evidence of that considering the RB6 was the better car. I'm just hoping that the Scuderia get back on track and don't start the season behind it's rival like this one. I believe with the lack of EBD and the subsequent "exotic engine mapping" ban I think Ferrari may be in contention by default. Of course you never know. Let's just hope next years car is better than the 150 Italia.
I certainly believe that he can win with a competitive car, but I doubt he will. as long as RB can put out a competitive car as well, the same can be said of Vettel. His form is absolutely flawless at the moment, unlike 2010 where it was punctuated by mistakes, both his and the teams. The way they're going right now, I consider it unlikely that Alonso can win the WDC without a car that is quite close in performance to the red bulls. But given his performance this season, if anybody can do it, its Alonso.

Crucial_Xtreme

n smikle wrote:hahaha.

Well Alonso says he wont give any feedback on the wing - for obvious reasons. He certainly was not complaining throughout the race!
I don't believe he said anything of the sort. I'd like to see the quote, please provide it. As for the rest, here's the interview many are speaking of.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SixtyBuckss ... GGjmQTPOlc

mx_tifoso

Guys, please direct all 2012 discussion to the appropriate thread. Let's try to keep all 2011 car threads on topic for future reference.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Lorenzo_Bandini

Francesc

An amazing amount of flexing, I don't know how that passes the tests...

raymondu999

The wing wasn't just flexing no? It was almost oscillating up and down
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly

I does not seem to be in rebound - we should see the complete footage to understand that.

What seems strange to me is that only half of the wing is touching the ground- but some sparks can be seen on the other side too so maybe a sceond before the rhs tip was touching the ground.
twitter: @armchair_aero