Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

mun; to be fair Red Bull say they sacrifice 8 tenths of qualifying performance for race pace; so you COULD miss up to 8 tenths at least
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

lebesset

doesn't add up ...if schu had better tyres than rosberg he would have been faster...he wasn't

or are you saying that rosberg can drive as fast on worn tyres as schu can on less worn ones?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

marcush.

lebesset wrote:can I suggest that everyone compares the laps times of rosberg and schu ...absolutely nothing in it , so I fail to understand that rosberg optimises for qualifying

the reason that schu got past rosberg in india was that schu was kept out several laps longer on the faster tyre , and rosberg had a slow pit stop
that´s exactly the opposite what Schumacher said.

He clearly stated that pitting earlier is a definite advantage in the later part of the race and he could only gain on Rosberg because he had been able to nurse his tyres and keep a competitive pace for longer than his teammate.He clearly said ,Rosberg had no choice but had to come in as his tyres were gone by then.He specially mentioned his experienced race engineers for hitting the sweet spot perfectly in setup AND on RTL he JUST stopped short of accusing the team of sabotage to his Qualy efforts.He clearly stated that his setup choices could explain a small gap in Qualy but he expressed his surprise of things happening just on his car again anad again like wheels out of balance in the last two qualies with 40g of imbalance...Again something unheard of in Schumachers career but this is the second time he is putting forward accusations towards the team not doing a proper job or even actively destroying his Qualy efforts..

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:mun; to be fair Red Bull say they sacrifice 8 tenths of qualifying performance for race pace; so you COULD miss up to 8 tenths at least
exacta-mundo :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.

A claim like leaving 8!tenths on the plate for better race pace is just ridiculous.
Of course you could build a car optimised for Qualy and find considerable chunks of time.But how quick would that car be in the race? Just bullying around .If they had a half chance to promote Webbo into the frontrow they would do it...

But then it is rather obvious they delay Rosberg to let Schumacher shine a bit..by that logic Rosberg was robbed a few wins this year.
Last edited by marcush. on 31 Oct 2011, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob

marcush. wrote:A claim like leaving 8!tenths on the plate for better race pace is just rediculous.
Of course you could build a car optimised for Qualy and find considerable chunks of time.But how quick would that car be in the race? Just bullying around .If they had a half chance to promote Webbo into the frontrow they would do it...

But then it is rather obvious they delay Rosberg to let Schumacher shine a bit..by that logic Rosberg was robbed a few wins this year.
Really? We're seeing close qualifyings these days, at the start of the year we were seeing RBR winning by near enough a second. We were also seeing McLaren much stronger in the race compared to RBR at the start of the year, that's not true any more. To me it sounds entirely plausable.

raymondu999

Yes; 1 second in Barcelona; 8 tenths in Melbourne and Shanghai; and almost losing pole on a circuit like Suzuka where they should have been utterly dominant is baffling.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

munudeges

raymondu999 wrote:mun; to be fair Red Bull say they sacrifice 8 tenths of qualifying performance for race pace; so you COULD miss up to 8 tenths at least
Between the same car? Errrr, no. When the gap has been that big at Red Bull the answer has been that the second driver isn't good enough and that's the only conclusion you can draw under such circumstances.

Anyone who believes this must have been taking something strong I'm afraid. Schumacher is right back to where he started no matter how much he gets helped out by a strategy call here and there.

Dragonfly

Judging from your nick, we should interpret your posts inversely too :D

And, this is not the right thread for your exercises.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

nacho

I think it might be more suitable to compare race/qualy setups by knowing what the difference will be during a set of tires.

lebesset

marcush. wrote:
lebesset wrote:can I suggest that everyone compares the laps times of rosberg and schu ...absolutely nothing in it , so I fail to understand that rosberg optimises for qualifying

the reason that schu got past rosberg in india was that schu was kept out several laps longer on the faster tyre , and rosberg had a slow pit stop
that´s exactly the opposite what Schumacher said.

He clearly stated that pitting earlier is a definite advantage in the later part of the race and he could only gain on Rosberg because he had been able to nurse his tyres and keep a competitive pace for longer than his teammate.He clearly said ,Rosberg had no choice but had to come in as his tyres were gone by then.He specially mentioned his experienced race engineers for hitting the sweet spot perfectly in setup AND on RTL he JUST stopped short of accusing the team of sabotage to his Qualy efforts.He clearly stated that his setup choices could explain a small gap in Qualy but he expressed his surprise of things happening just on his car again anad again like wheels out of balance in the last two qualies with 40g of imbalance...Again something unheard of in Schumachers career but this is the second time he is putting forward accusations towards the team not doing a proper job or even actively destroying his Qualy efforts..

I saw that interview and had a good laugh ...it's called self aggrandisement where I come from

just look at the times and see the truth

unfortunately for rosberg daimler benz need to make schu look good ...and so does brawn if the team is to get the funds it needs

as the mafia always say ...it's only business
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

mep

marcush. wrote:He clearly stated that his setup choices could explain a small gap in Qualy but he expressed his surprise of things happening just on his car again anad again like wheels out of balance in the last two qualies with 40g of imbalance...Again something unheard of in Schumachers career but this is the second time he is putting forward accusations towards the team not doing a proper job or even actively destroying his Qualy efforts..
Oh did he really accuse his team of sabotage?
I can understand that he is not happy with the team as for us it looks like they are doing a pretty bad job. Especially when it comes down to development. They failed to go the f-duct route and they where way to late with adopting the exhaust blown diffusor.
That does clearly not match the high level of work Schumacher is delivering and expecting from the guys around him.

Hemsy

BTW isn't Geoff Willis supposed to have started work with MGP from yesterday? He won't have any immediate impact on the car but at least he can influence the final upgrade package introduced at the last pre-season test prior to the opening race. It will also interesting to see how much Merc gain from their aero upgrades introduced for the first European races as he will have a significant impact on them.

marcush.

mep wrote:
marcush. wrote:He clearly stated that his setup choices could explain a small gap in Qualy but he expressed his surprise of things happening just on his car again anad again like wheels out of balance in the last two qualies with 40g of imbalance...Again something unheard of in Schumachers career but this is the second time he is putting forward accusations towards the team not doing a proper job or even actively destroying his Qualy efforts..
Oh did he really accuse his team of sabotage?
I can understand that he is not happy with the team as for us it looks like they are doing a pretty bad job. Especially when it comes down to development. They failed to go the f-duct route and they where way to late with adopting the exhaust blown diffusor.
That does clearly not match the high level of work Schumacher is delivering and expecting from the guys around him.
as I wrote ..he stopped short of saying the word sabotage .But he mentioned his discomfort hitting always problems in Qualy.
MGP also has also not been covering themselves in glory in terms of reliability considering Extreme RedBull not suiffering any issues apart from KERS glitches at the beginning of the year.
Schumacher already had 2 tech related dnfs (Monaco and Hungary)..I think that is more than is acceptable for a top team.(Button had 1 team related dnf and a tech related dnf)

Richard

Hemsy, I agree. The new team will only have an impact in mid-season development and operational issues. If they do there job we should see a bit more confidence in the team and a better sense of direction/purpose. There needs to be fewer excuses about weight balance, wheelbase and and tyres.