Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

godlameroso wrote:If the maccas are crushing sector 3 rb should be worried
Why? McLaren have always been strong in technical parts of the lap in 2011. As Beelsebob and myself keep repeating
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123

Re: Lewis Hamilton's practice start at Abu Dhabi P3

In first gear you are traction limited, in second gear start the power will come on less sooner, making wheelspin more unlikely and also the start much easier to control
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ell66

richard_leeds wrote:We saw both RB and Ferrari struggling with snap oversteer, the rear end suddenly flipping around. It caused Webber to do a 180 on the straight while Alonso, Vettel and Massa managed to get to the end of the straight before the rear flipped on the braking zone for turn 1 and sent them off track.

Odd that both cars for both teams had very similar problems with rear stability for the same corner.

Glock also went off at turn 1, but that wasn't as dramatic, it was more of a sideways slide once he was halfway around the corner.

It was driver error in my opinion, vettel admitted he took to much speed on entry and hit the curb, alonso took way to much speed as well, and webber took WAY to much curb when he went for a spin.

Bomber_Pilot

Schumacher on intermediates? :lol:

wesley123

If I believe correctly Hamilton has always been really good on Abu Dabhi, last year he was quicker through the third sector as well when he shouldnt have, the Red Bull itself was much quicker there. Hamilton has always been really really good in S3 of this circuit, didnt shock me that much really
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Mr Alcatraz

Holy crap! Vettel does it again :shock:

Both of Fred's best lap times in Q2 and Q3 were 139.058 :-?
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 12 Nov 2011, 16:54, edited 4 times in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Pierce89

Re: Lewis Hamilton's practice start at Abu Dhabi P3

TheArchitect wrote:Just noticed Lewis do his practice start:
A-from P2 on the grid
B-he launched in 2nd gear not first???

Why would they not simply lengthen 1st as it cannot be used much other wise then pulling out of the garage
A-he knows his place
B-P2 on dirty side 2nd gear=less aggressive torque
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Just_a_fan

The slight oddity of the current qualifying system is that the fastest lap in qualifying was in Q2, not Q3.

I'm betting that the first lap will see Vettel, Button and Alonso ahead of Hamilton judging by Hammy's recent form.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

beelsebob

Just_a_fan wrote:The slight oddity of the current qualifying system is that the fastest lap in qualifying was in Q2, not Q3.

I'm betting that the first lap will see Vettel, Button and Alonso ahead of Hamilton judging by Hammy's recent form.
Hamilton's starts have been pretty good recently – he's just generally got unlucky getting blocked by people.

Singapore – got a flyer, but pushed off the track by webber and passed by everyone round the outside.
Japan – as fast as the Ferraris, didn't really get mugged.
Korea – start was just fine again.
India - Again, a good start, but got boxed in and mugged.

I don't really see any high likelihood of him getting trashed into T1 tomorrow.

I have to say – I'm surprised by McLaren's pace around here.

Aced

Bomber_Pilot wrote:Schumacher on intermediates? :lol:
lol. Thanks for the laugh mate.

Anyway, that was amazing. Sad to see Vettel steal a one-two from McLaren though. But hopefully tomorrow we'll see a one-two by McLaren.

Gerhard Berger

Congrats to Vettel again - he delivered when it mattered most whereas Hamilton and particularly Webber didn't. I think the race has the potential to be interesting between the top 4 if DRS works well and we see some tyre wear.

Depressing weekend as a Ferrari fan, but it was to be expected - we knew we would struggle with the traction demands of the circuit (just like we struggled in Singapore).

raymondu999

wesley123 wrote:If I believe correctly Hamilton has always been really good on Abu Dabhi, last year he was quicker through the third sector as well when he shouldnt have, the Red Bull itself was much quicker there. Hamilton has always been really really good in S3 of this circuit, didnt shock me that much really
Last year Hamilton was 1 tenth off Vettel in S1, 1 tenth off in S3, and 2 tenths up in S2.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Bomber_Pilot

Aced wrote:
Bomber_Pilot wrote:Schumacher on intermediates? :lol:
lol. Thanks for the laugh mate.

Anyway, that was amazing. Sad to see Vettel steal a one-two from McLaren though. But hopefully tomorrow we'll see a one-two by McLaren.

Funny thing was, he was actually purple in S2 on inters in Q1 :)

Shrieker

Hamilton sets a new precedent by driving the fastest lap around the track and failing to get pole. A question of 'when it matters' ? I personally think he could've repeated his Q2 time had he been the first driver to start the final lap instead of 3rd. Alonso was a few seconds up the road, it might've affected his concentration a bit, if not cause any aero loss. Looked like he was far away so as not to cause any aero loss though.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

raymondu999

He wasn't on inters. The confusion was because they put on inters to his car in the garage (so his car sat on inters)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcx7L0zCUbY[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法