Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
issues4

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

W02...easy...mirrors :wink:

amouzouris

First read this article about the front wing F-duct:
http://www.caranddriverthef1.com/formul ... automatico

and then look at this photo of the W03 from silverstone:

...the fw makes it look like its rolling a lot..BUT considering the article above...it looks like the right side of the wing doesnt produce as much downforce as the left because it is a right hand side corner...soooo...is this really what the fw f-duct does??

Gridlock

More driver cooling? :shock:

issues4

exactly what i was getting at... that image and one of the newer ones that looks to be turn 3 at barca shows some SERIOUS "flex" "bending" "lifting" whatever you want to call it.

PS. for those who care...the link i posted earlier is a google translated version of this same article above
Last edited by issues4 on 19 Feb 2012, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

skgoa

issues4 wrote:good stuff...
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... md%3Dimvns

i dont know why, but some of these images and concepts makes that super leaned over front wing endplate look all the more sneaky...
This is not only illegal but also laughably unsuitable for the real world. I.e. there are these little known concepts called "wind direction" and "turbulence". :roll:

issues4

i dont think the question is whether the concepts in the article are wrong and/or illegal in F1 2012 terms, but rather that just MAYBE, some of the concepts ALLUDE to what is actually going on with the speculated "conventional" front "f-duct" merc are supposedly using :D

issues4

we know that the flex testing has been made more stringent this year...and looking at this pic, that FW is borderline making sparks on the track surface :lol: yes it could be roll too, but this doesnt seem to look like anything we saw last year...with the exception of Ferrari's extreme flex BS they did just to get the FIA to change the rule..everybody knows they were bending their front wing into the asphalt for political reasons :twisted: ...and they succeeded in the end

Schulteiss

gilgen wrote:
samstre wrote:300KMs of testing for a single day... not that bad ;)
Yeah, but they have nothing to compare themselves with. So they do not know how far behind the others , they are!
Why would they want to compare themselves to anybody else at this phase? All the teams are doing their own stuff, and Mercedes has done everything that any other team has done in terms of getting to know the 2012 tyres, and the setup opportunities they provide in relation to last year, and the new car too. That is enough until the 21st, when they will put the car on track with a shakedown and a full test-day behind them, w/o teething problems, and knowing every bit as much about the new car as any other team, or maybe even a bit more. This all seems to have been a well thought over, extremely well organized project plan, which seems to have been carried out flawlessly. It is a little like sacrificing a a key piece in chess, only to get an advantage 3 moves later.

MercAMGF1Fans

issues4 wrote:we know that the flex testing has been made more stringent this year...and looking at this pic, that FW is borderline making sparks on the track surface :lol: yes it could be roll too, but this doesnt seem to look like anything we saw last year...with the exception of Ferrari's extreme flex BS they did just to get the FIA to change the rule..everybody knows they were bending their front wing into the asphalt for political reasons :twisted: ...and they succeeded in the end
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> Political reasons

issues4

...it seems clinical, sneaky, very clever, very efficient.....very.......German? 8) 8) i wonder what the other teams have to say about this? im sure there are going to be all sorts off "within the spirit of the rules" comments and complaints thrown around >>>IF<<<< merc have indeed found some sneaky loophole filling contraption they are managing to hide from prying eyes

samstre

gilgen wrote:
samstre wrote:300KMs of testing for a single day... not that bad ;)
Yeah, but they have nothing to compare themselves with. So they do not know how far behind the others , they are!
It doesn't matter, as it's just a first run with the new car. Systemchecks, trying to get to know the car, verifying simulation data and so on. I don't think that you compare yourself with others (regarding laptimes) on a first run.

I think it's pretty clever what they did. They tested the new tires with the old car. Saved a testday (as it probably wouldn't give them more knowledge on the tires) and used that day check the new car.

So they should arrive at Barca in a good position. They verified their basic setup and can build on that knowledge...

I'm really eager to see how fast they are. 3rd fastest would be nice... 2-4tenths off the pace would be ok i guess. but hey... i like to be surprised ;)

marcush.

only drivers and the media compare the times ignoring really the alltoo many variables in the calculation.At this time you better concentrate on your programme and validate the predictions and your own calcs.
The barcelona private test really is something ...and how far in advance everything was planned tells me we are on to watch something this year.
I fully expect Mercedes to be the team to beat this year. :roll:

italian

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

arif1

My spider sense is telling me that this car is going to win some races this season

PlatinumZealot

Interesting but erroneous.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏