Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Blackout wrote:Exhaust's path

I believe that widening of the plume is what RB are trying to avoid with their new tunnel. The tunnel takes the air coming from sidepods, protecting the exhaust on it´s way wherever it´s going.
Rikhart

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:49 am

^Yes, and whilst trying to avoid divergence to the RB too much, the shape and ramp helps the exhaust run along the side of the sidepod to once again seal the diffuser, whilst still keeping the tight rear end.

It'll be interesting to see if Sauber do something similar, the exhaust is there, the bulk of the sidepod is the right shape, it'll only need a panel mocking up...
PhillipM

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:06 am

i found this on the j. button facebook page (i don't know if it's the official one)

but i can't see the hole under the nose (i see the red arrow but not the hole), and i don't understand the reason of this
ImageImageImage
yace

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:16 am

vacuum cleaner' effect ?
More downforce in front area
Kaivo

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:15 am

Rikhart wrote:
Blackout wrote:Exhaust's path

I believe that widening of the plume is what RB are trying to avoid with their new tunnel. The tunnel takes the air coming from sidepods, protecting the exhaust on it´s way wherever it´s going.

The C31 has the same exhaust concept as RB8. I think these 2 cars have very much in common(the front intake, exhaust, the hole concept design is similar), but RB8 is more refined and have very nice details.
ovidiulucaci

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 am

Kaivo wrote:vacuum cleaner' effect ?
More downforce in front area

They would have been better just to have a lower nose. If they are using a 'vacuum cleaner' effect it would give them better flexibility to reduce front DF if their exhausts didn't work as predicted. (although they could just back the FW off instead)
I've found a way of ducting exhaust right to the diffuser edge like in 2011 and created a new wheel fastener that could allow sub 2 second pitstops see them here --> My 2013 F1 Concept Project
MIKEY_!

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:58 am

Blackout wrote:+ the slotted nose vanes
http://f1zoom.co.cc/?year=2012&race=cat ... =50&view=1

I think that car looks amazing.
AnthonyG

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 am

Inside of the nose. From scarbs: "captured by Aero Student Sriram Chandra - Copyright"
I've found a way of ducting exhaust right to the diffuser edge like in 2011 and created a new wheel fastener that could allow sub 2 second pitstops see them here --> My 2013 F1 Concept Project
MIKEY_!

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:42 pm

MIKEY_! wrote:Image

Inside of the nose. From scarbs: "captured by Aero Student Sriram Chandra - Copyright"

Now, why would you have an electrical connection in front of the drivers feet when we no longer have movable front wings?
Callum

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:44 pm

For the cameras?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985
stefan_

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Or sensors?
JackHammer

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:16 pm

stefan_ wrote:For the cameras?

..Cameras...didn't think about that! #-o
Callum

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:12 pm

MIKEY_! wrote:Inside of the nose. From scarbs: "captured by Aero Student Sriram Chandra - Copyright"

Now why would someone copywright this?
aduka11

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:46 pm

aduka11 wrote:
MIKEY_! wrote:Inside of the nose. From scarbs: "captured by Aero Student Sriram Chandra - Copyright"

Now why would someone copywright this?

1) Copyright
2) You have no choice – you own copyright simply by dint of having taken the photo – copyright is not applied for, it simply belongs to the creator.
beelsebob

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am

Forza

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development