Malaysian GP 2012 - Sepang International Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Malaysian GP 2012 - Sepang International Circuit

I think most are shying away due to the very different requirements and nature of the circuit. I think this is the litmus test for the Red Bull vs McLaren fight. Since Spain last year the McLaren is equal - or maybe even a bit better in the fast corner circuits; and better than the Red Bull in the race. Maybe not in terms of outright race pace - but in terms of tyre conservation; at least
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:I think most are shying away due to the very different requirements and nature of the circuit. I think this is the litmus test for the Red Bull vs McLaren fight. Since Spain last year the McLaren is equal - or maybe even a bit better in the fast corner circuits; and better than the Red Bull in the race. Maybe not in terms of outright race pace - but in terms of tyre conservation; at least
If its based on Tyre management Button is by far the best in that field.

I have my gonads on the line, hopefully some other chaps will join in on the hunt!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

I think probably Button and Vettel are the best on tyre conservation while keeping good pace; at least since last year.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say both of those drivers are going to go on the podium.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ParanoiD

raymondu999 wrote:I think probably Button and Vettel are the best on tyre conservation while keeping good pace; at least since last year.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say both of those drivers are going to go on the podium.
I think Lotus have quite a good tyre conservation as well.
Ay Carumba!

Hemsy

Thunderstorms expected for the Malaysian GP! A wet race + Button at the wheel of a very fast Mclaren means it's a no-brainer as to who is most likely to win.

raymondu999

If it's full wet I'm not convinced it'll be Button. His advantage has tended to be in damp and/or drying conditions. I don't really remember seeing anything special from him in full-wet conditions.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Hail22 wrote:
banibhusan wrote:
Hail22 wrote: Six races Ray.

After Malaysia its back home

Then back on the horse again for Canada, Silverstone.

Break then Monza, Abu Dhabi.
That's freaking awesome dude. Make sure you have a DSLR with you and take some wonderful pics. We'll be waiting for your collection. :)
If your willing to pay my boss for the time lost with clients >.<

most of the Grand Prixs save Monza (family visit and Grand Prix in one) are all for clientel/work reasons.

I will do the best I can for the forums but I cannot stray from my original reasons for being at these events. xD
Forget a DSLR and camera, I want to know how to be one of Hail's clients! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

AdrianoZed

Ive put some money on Kimi to be on podium.
I think its quite achievable
Ayrton Senna "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver"
Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

banibhusan

raymondu999 wrote: Forget a DSLR and camera, I want to know how to be one of Hail's clients! :lol:
Or at least work where hail is working. :D

beelsebob

Hemsy wrote:Thunderstorms expected for the Malaysian GP! A wet race + Button at the wheel of a very fast Mclaren means it's a no-brainer as to who is most likely to win.
Hmm, in full wet I'd be betting heavily on Hamilton in a very fast McLaren. In drying or damp conditions, Button every time.

Mandrake

In a wet race I'd place my money on schumacher....just like last year in Canada with this year's Mercedes he's having even better chances.

ArchAngel

beelsebob wrote:Hmm, in full wet I'd be betting heavily on Hamilton in a very fast McLaren. In drying or damp conditions, Button every time.
+1

Outside of those two, and assuming the W03 can get the full wets & inters to work & survive long enough, Schumacher might just surprise... So long as the track doesn't dry out.

If it's a completely dry race, then Kimi might just be fighting for a top 5 Finnish, bar any brain fades during qualifying.

myurr

beelsebob wrote:
Hemsy wrote:Thunderstorms expected for the Malaysian GP! A wet race + Button at the wheel of a very fast Mclaren means it's a no-brainer as to who is most likely to win.
Hmm, in full wet I'd be betting heavily on Hamilton in a very fast McLaren. In drying or damp conditions, Button every time.
I don't think it's as clear cut in either case. Hamilton will have the speed edge on Button in slippery conditions full stop, IMHO he's the best on the grid in tricky conditions, BUT he will also wear through the tyres more quickly. We saw that last year a couple of times, initially Hamilton was a lot faster but then started to fall back towards Button as he started to burn through the tyres. I think that's why Button can appear better in drying conditions, it is then that the tyres start to overheat and wear, and Button will get better life out of them.

raymondu999

myurr wrote:BUT he will also wear through the tyres more quickly.
Will it though, in a full wet situation? In full wet I don't think we have ever seen any such thing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr

Hail22 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I think most are shying away due to the very different requirements and nature of the circuit. I think this is the litmus test for the Red Bull vs McLaren fight. Since Spain last year the McLaren is equal - or maybe even a bit better in the fast corner circuits; and better than the Red Bull in the race. Maybe not in terms of outright race pace - but in terms of tyre conservation; at least
If its based on Tyre management Button is by far the best in that field.

I have my gonads on the line, hopefully some other chaps will join in on the hunt!
Actually I think Vettel is still the best on the grid - he seems to be able to extract all the pace he wants without wearing the tyres. Button is next best in this regard, but doesn't have the same ultimate pace. These Pirelli tyres just perfectly match Vettel's driving style giving him quite the advantage.

The attacking drivers like Hamilton are having to rein in their speed to try and conserve the tyres. He's adapted pretty well and on a good day can sometimes even beat Button in terms of wear, but more often than not he's having to compromise his pace to save the tyres and still burns through them a lap or two quicker than Button.