Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Mazdaboy wrote:The front wing flexing again:

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/120901/flex_www. ... es.hu_.jpg
And by a pretty large amount it seems, maybe around 8 degrees? It seems a lot as it must be paralel to the reference plane, which it obviously is not
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

superdread

wesley123 wrote:

And by a pretty large amount it seems, maybe around 8 degrees? It seems a lot as it must be paralel to the reference plane, which it obviously is not
It must be parallel during scrutineering, as far as I know the FIA doesn't use photographic evidence.

NoDivergence

That picture is not fully accurate. You can see the right front tire is not even on the ground. Must have hit a bump or something

Jackles-UK

superdread wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

It must be parallel during scrutineering, as far as I know the FIA doesn't use photographic evidence.
That may be true for penalties but they do take notice of photographic evidence. McLaren in Valencia 2011 where the FIA saw on-board footage that seemed to show a joint built into the FW pylons opening to flatten the wing (similar effect to here) is one example, the infamous RBR flexi-wings another. Both examples resulted in either a tech directive or a change in the rules.

superdread

NoDivergence wrote:That picture is not fully accurate. You can see the right front tire is not even on the ground. Must have hit a bump or something
The tire is well on the ground (it goes on after Pirelli's stripe).
When comparing to the reference plane (floor line in the background) the wing has clearly flexed.
Jackles-UK wrote: That may be true for penalties but they do take notice of photographic evidence. McLaren in Valencia 2011 where the FIA saw on-board footage that seemed to show a joint built into the FW pylons opening to flatten the wing (similar effect to here) is one example, the infamous RBR flexi-wings another. Both examples resulted in either a tech directive or a change in the rules.
Yes, I didn't quite meant that they ignore the existence of photography. They just don't use it as direct evidence for rule breaking (apart from the video surveillance of the quasi parc ferme and maybe some other things (cutting the track, blocking...)).

Better to say they don't use photos of cars on track to determine infringement of the technical rules and punish accordingly.

Richard

The telemetry chart is fascinating, worthy of it's own thread.

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13378

i70q7m7ghw

Bit surprised nobody is all over the convex profile upper element, surely this is something abnormal?

aral

Owen.C93 wrote:
gilgen wrote:Does anyone know why Hamilton took the time to recover a part of the front wing, and carry it all the way back to the pits? Maybe this is the part that is flexing?
It was in the middle of the pitlane so he picked it up so the marshalls didn't have to. (They may have missed it).
http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12bel2506.jpg
I would be surprised to hear that the marshals overlooked such a piece. Now, the actual end plate looks like a McLaren part, so I doubt that he was just being a good boy scout.

thedutchguy

Some pics I took last weekend of Hamilton's crashed car at the Belgian GP. Unfortunately I couldn't get to the car until right before it was driven away on a truck. I've got better pics of the Grosian's Lotus, which I'll post in that thread.

(click for bigger pictures)

20120902_153627 by Ericbal, on Flickr

20120902_153630 by Ericbal, on Flickr

20120902_153641 by Ericbal, on Flickr

20120902_153652 by Ericbal, on Flickr

stefan_

I wonder if they are going to make a mirror mount out of that side front winglet, like Ferrari did.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Jackles-UK

What is the point in the big extension in the diffuser gurney beneath the rain light? is it one of those "we've fitted this part so now it's legal" type jobbies or does it actually do something useful? Seems like nothing but free drag otherwise!

Holm86

How come theres so much camber on the rear wheel??? Suspension components not installed??

otbsti

Holm86 wrote:How come theres so much camber on the rear wheel??? Suspension components not installed??
Because the suspension is broken... you did see the accident this car was in right?
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

wesley123

Jackles-UK wrote:What is the point in the big extension in the diffuser gurney beneath the rain light? is it one of those "we've fitted this part so now it's legal" type jobbies or does it actually do something useful? Seems like nothing but free drag otherwise!
It simply adds downforce. I believe this huge gurney forces air either trough the starter hole or through the gurney slit
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.

Holm86 wrote:How come theres so much camber on the rear wheel??? Suspension components not installed??
they took inspiation from WTCC FWD state of the art suspension settings at the rear.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/riccardo_c ... 937045343/