Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
illario

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

siskue2005 wrote:Image
compare two pics, even with slight load the broken win mount twists, where as the top pic the mechanic carries the entire wing on the camera mount!
and the broken wing mechanic is not twisting, he just happened to put weight on the left side first and then the second, whereby he realises its broken and moves to other part to grab it
Just look at the right leg muscle, i bet 10 Eur that he is giving all that he has to pull the car up, there is no lolly-pop no?!

siskue2005

bucker wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1FmKH-eANw doesn't look like he hit it with nose cone...but that camera on right side is having some strange movement in slowmotion at 0:06

That strange movement is coz cam mount took a hit
Checkout my pictures in the previous page
Last edited by siskue2005 on 06 Nov 2012, 15:37, edited 2 times in total.

siskue2005

.poz wrote:
siskue2005 wrote: compare two pics, even with slight load the broken win mount twists, where as the top pic the mechanic carries the entire wing on the camera mount!
and the broken wing mechanic is not twisting, he just happened to put weight on the left side first and then the second, whereby he realises its broken and moves to other part to grab it
I think that the camera are fixed to the rigid part of the nose by a support and mechanic normally use them to grab the nose with a firm grip.

Seb crush on the drs signal broke the camera support, so camera is hold in place just by the fluffy shell of the nose and some cables. So in RB nose there is a rigid part inside and a flexible shell.
Exactly

siskue2005

illario wrote:
Just look at the right leg muscle, i bet 10 Eur that he is giving all that he has to pull the car up, there is no lolly-pop no?!
Why would someone standing in the front need to give everyrhing to lift the nose
The nose is usually lifted by people near the front suspension, this guy is just there to take off the nose back to garage when it is lifted and the quick release is released

CHT
CHT

Not sure this has been posted..

Intego

There's a superb coverage from Webber's FW camera looking back (watch from 20 s):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqqyg1lfXVw[/youtube]

It's from the second long straight into T11. Can we see any movement?
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

siskue2005

all i see is few relections on the side of the nose

elFranZ

CHT wrote:Not sure this has been posted..

I'm still missing something: how the pongo nose is supposed to pass scrutineering, if it really behaves that way?

raymondu999

But the nose itself isn't deflection tested, is it? Isn't it the vertical deflection of just the ends of the wing that is tested with a load?

The real question is - how is the wing held while testing? Is it, for example, tested when you place it over a bench? In which case the nose wouldn't flex anyways. Or is it attached to the car? Or...?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aancora

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 6/846.html

Sorry, I thought it was for 2012, but it is a 2011 article :(

3.15 Article:
With the exception of the driver adjustable bodywork described in Article 3.18 (in addition to minimal parts
solely associated with its actuation) and the ducts described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car
influencing its aerodynamic performance :
- must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
- must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom).
- must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.
Any device or construction that is designed to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground is prohibited under all circumstances.
No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of the skid block in 3.13 above, may under any circumstances be located below the reference plane.
With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.18, any car system,
device or procedure which uses, or is suspected of using, driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.

siskue2005

For those who are still saying the DRS board didnt hit the nose cam, here as the gif i created (finally found out free site which creates it)
it clearly shattered the left nose cam and that is why it was bending later

i have skipped the in between pic(see below) for the purpose of animation to be fluid

aancora

You are saying that polystyrol can damage carbon fiber? O_O

antrock

that last picture is a frame taken after the "broken" camera frame - look at the lines on the circuit. the camera moves up because the left part of the wing got hit, it moved upwards and that moved the wing mounts which are attached to a flexi nosecone. it would be very hard for the soft and light & fragile styrofoam to hit the left edge of the wing and still somehow hit the camera on the nosecone which is parralel to where the wing got hit, don't you think? it would take a bounce and another hit but by then not much energy would be in it right?

that is just my observation.

turbof1

aancora wrote:You are saying that polystyrol can damage carbon fiber? O_O
Just like a spring of 800gr can almost kill a driver: as long as the speed is high enough (even under safety car) anything that collides can cause damage. It also damaged the wing itself by the way.
#AeroFrodo

siskue2005

yes, the polystyrene did damage his wings, thats why he had to pit to change his wings...otherwise he was fine with the small right side endplate damage before