McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
McMrocks
McMrocks

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

cliffgamerz wrote:
Have anyone noticed that letter "E" is missing from Vodafone near nose section where the panel is fixed.Maybe they will test without the panel sometime later during the test.
I don't know why it is there but it is at the airbox below Hugo Boss and left to Mobil 1, if you mean this 'E'

stefan_
stefan_

F1 Fanatic

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Javert

ENORMOUS rake or I am wrong? That piece of floor near rear tyre =P~

Edit: some live action from Jerez:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1W6_s7j_bQ[/youtube]

So, mediums in the fastest lap?

FrukostScones

Javert wrote:.........

Hard tyres acc. to autosport.com
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jackles-UK

The space now available under the higher nose is going to be a big research area in testing I reckon. New turning vanes that look like they can shift a serious amount of air and what looks like a different splitter/tea tray to compliment it.

Side question: are teams allowed to use DRS whenever they want to in testing or is it limited to straights like in quali/races for this year?

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I would assume that because testing does not fall into the same rules as the official season as such, then yes, I would say that they can use it any time they want.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Javert wrote: Edit: some live action from Jerez:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1W6_s7j_bQ[/youtube]

Looks like he cheated and used DRS through the whole lap. Not sure what others did though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

turbof1

ajdavison2 wrote:I would assume that because testing does not fall into the same rules as the official season as such, then yes, I would say that they can use it any time they want.
Would they though? I mean it is absolutely useless, in the light of the new DRS rules, to do so outside a straight line. They are testing to gather data; you do not want to have data of a high speed corner only to afterwards need to filter DRS out.
#AeroFrodo

gary123

FrukostScones wrote:
Javert wrote:.........

Hard tyres acc. to autosport.com
is this sure?? because there are some people saying that mclaren made the best time with super soft tires!

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

f1rules
f1rules

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 485.89.jpg

.5 second from being an amazing picture showing the flow under the side pods and gearbox, quess we will have to wait for tomorrow

Glyn
Glyn

f1rules wrote:http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 485.89.jpg

.5 second from being an amazing picture showing the flow under the side pods and gearbox, quess we will have to wait for tomorrow
That car looks absolutely amazing.

Pup
Pup

(orange)

There's pics of some cars running yellow stripes, too, so Pirelli pretty much brought a bit of everything despite what may or may not have been said.

Forza

ray@ It was first timed lap (l.32 overall) after the outlap.

Jerez - day 2

shamikaze
shamikaze

That's some serious rubber on the left-front tyre having been picked-up (or degraded).