McLaren MP4/5 laser etched artwork

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
tathan

Re: McLaren MP4/5 laser etched artwork

Have you heard of something called "outsourcing the manufacture to China" lol

Kozy

jayeshrc wrote:
just to get an idea - what is the thickness of that sheet?
1.5mm
jayeshrc wrote: i'm guessing youve hung it on a nail,

Correct.
jayeshrc wrote:so i'm trying to understanf how you got the necessary mount on the back of the sheet
Ah, well... it's all a matter of bondage. :mrgreen:
tathan wrote:Have you heard of something called "outsourcing the manufacture to China" lol
Yes. I doubt they'd be able to do this any cheaper than I would be able to with my own machine though, so I don't really see the point.

Kozy

Writinglife wrote:Beautiful piece of artwork, but considering that the plans are probably copyrighted, it might fall afoul of McLaren's or Tamiya's legal teams.
Just to follow this up.

I showed McLaren. They liked it. :D

Writinglife

Kozy wrote:
Writinglife wrote:Beautiful piece of artwork, but considering that the plans are probably copyrighted, it might fall afoul of McLaren's or Tamiya's legal teams.
Just to follow this up.

I showed McLaren. They liked it. :D
Hope I didn't offend with my comment, I really like it, but as someone who is creative, I just want you to be doing the right thing by the original creators.

Then as they have no problems with you selling it for profit, that's great. I'd definitely be tempted by one.

Kozy

No problem at all. I've had a couple of people mention it but I was sure to check it out, I don't want to lose my house over it!

It was unrelated to your post that I showed them anyway, I simply posted it on the McLaren official facebook page and they replied saying how great it looked and that the MP4/5 was a favourite at the MTC! 8)

I'd not necessarily be looking to sell this design anyway, not in quantity. I am wary of doing F1 related stuff in general, and would prefer to keep to more mainstream production vehicles, customised for the owners specific vehicles. As one off commissions, obviously I am happy to do whatever is requested by the customer, as long as it is possible for me to find reference material.

Kozy

Now fully funded on Kickstarter! 8)

Still taking orders for another 9 days until the closing date, and the price will be going up when I start taking orders again after all the rewards have been produced. :wink:

Holm86

Link is missing :-)

Kozy

SiLo

Just wondering, but if you would like any assistance in the drawings, please let me know! I'd love to help. I did one similar to this of a Cobra a while ago and it looks very similar :)
Felipe Baby!

Mr Nür

This is amazing. It looks great!

zenji

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use tamiyas art without seeking permission for making profits.

argyll

Nice work

Kozy

Been working on a 'Vintage Series' style with a weathered look grid background, complete with coffee rings. 8)

zenji wrote:I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use tamiyas art without seeking permission for making profits.
Someone always brings it up.

Had I have simply dropped their drawings into the graphics program and added some text, and was planning on selling thousands of copies of it then I'd look in to it. However, using their image like that would have looked terrible as those drawings were incredibly bad quality so I wouldn't have sold any at all anyway.

I redrew every single line myself in CAD as a vector graphic, which also includes far more detail than was ever present on low resolution graphics they released, as such I believe it represents a significant departure from the original work and one which at best, I may sell a handful of copies of. So far, I've done two copies, one I sold, the one above is mine.

I doubt Tamiya are going to waste time and money perusing it when it has absolutely no effect on them whatsoever.

turbof1

Incredible nice job.

Just wondering, how many pieces would you need to sell at 100 pounds in order to break even when you buy your own equipment? Just looking if it's viable, and if so I'd be more then happy to buy such an artwork.
#AeroFrodo

Kozy

I've already done it, the equipment is in my bedroom! :D

In total I took about 190 orders which paid for the machine outright, or rather, would have paid for the machine I originally had in mind outright. In between getting the funding and taking delivery of the laser, I got declined for a mortgage and dropped my deposit into a bigger and better machine, which is totally unneccesary for this work but allows me to take on other projects.

I have been working on that 190 order backlog for about 3 months now, and I expect it will take me another 9 to finish them all though 100 of them were bought by a distributor who will order them as and when they sell them which takes some of the load off.

The price has increased from £100 to £125 now as the whole product got upgraded at the end of the Kickstarter campaign as I surpassed the funding target. The material went from 1.5mm to 3mm, became laser cut with rounded corners instead of guillotine cut with sharp corners, anodised on all faces (even the edges) with custom engraving on both front and back, better standard of drawing work and premium branded packaging suitable as a gift box (a lot of these are being bought as gifts!)