McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

I thought the suspension arms were supposed to be symmetrical. Those look to have more material below the main axis than above the main axis.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

beelsebob

Just_a_fan wrote:http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 771825.jpg
I thought the suspension arms were supposed to be symmetrical. Those look to have more material below the main axis than above the main axis.
That's because it's not level. This suspension only works because it's leaning backwards.

mclaren_mircea

Jenson Button confirmed today the "little step" Eric Boullier said about China upgrade. Detail work on the Mp4-29 or track specific, nothing more than that. It will not be even visible.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12479 ... -long-time
" We have some new things on the car but they are not massive and if you're not into the detail of a Formula 1 car you won't be able to see them, but there are some improvements for this circuit so we'll come here with more confidence."

Thunder

Then we can look Forward to a big Update in Barcelona. 8)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Thunder

Don't worry i follow the FI Thread, but before we have no Lap Times no one knows what their Updates are really worth. That plus we don't know if China fits one or the other Car better, which is a big Factor too.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

stefan_

China 2014 - Thursday (17.04.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

wesley123

The suspension arms have a different shape now across their width. You can see a slight bend happening at the center of the arms.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mclaren_mircea

wesley123 wrote:The suspension arms have a different shape now across their width. You can see a slight bend happening at the center of the arms.
Do you suggest some upgrade at the suspension ?

beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:The suspension arms have a different shape now across their width. You can see a slight bend happening at the center of the arms.
The bend has always been there. It was necessary to get from the very far back placement of the suspension to the hub, while still keeping the centre of the "beam wing" parallel to the back of the car.

Lazy

beelsebob wrote:
The bend has always been there. It was necessary to get from the very far back placement of the suspension to the hub, while still keeping the centre of the "beam wing" parallel to the back of the car.
Really? I've never noticed that transition before and it's very noticeable now.

wesley123

beelsebob wrote:
I think you misunderstood me. Yes, those arms where always there and it's placement is the same. However, the "beam wing" has a different shape. Where previously it had the same shape over it's full width. Now the inwards part(until the center) has a flatter back(our the part further outside has a more round one).

Either way, it's shape isn't consistent anymore over the "beam wing"'s width.

mclaren_mircea

wesley123 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
I think you misunderstood me. Yes, those arms where always there and it's placement is the same. However, the "beam wing" has a different shape. Where previously it had the same shape over it's full width. Now the inwards part(until the center) has a flatter back(our the part further outside has a more round one).

Either way, it's shape isn't consistent anymore over the "beam wing"'s width.

Do you suggest some upgrade at the suspension ?

flyboy2160

I'll just keep deleting posts about sponsors and lap times. If the same people keep posting that, we'll get some timeouts. We're well into the season and plenty of previous notice has been given about off topic posting.

wesley123

mclaren_mircea wrote: Do you suggest some upgrade at the suspension ?
Yes.

RicerDude

Yes, the upper beam wing has a slightly more semicircular shape to the trailing edge while the lower one is slightly flatter...