Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tok-tokkie

Re: Haas - American team in F1

xpensive wrote:Sincere indeed, little wonder MrE likes him, "my kinda guy!"

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2007/nov/06/ ... rison-for/
Yes I gave a +1 to the post where that story was quoted 2 or 3 days ago. Very interesting & I was pleased to be informed about it. Now to use his F1 team idea as a marketing expense for his company will again be at the expense of the IRS = the taxpayers. Be consistent & true to form.

xpensive

If you think about it this way, how many US-built chassis has been seen in CART/IRL for the past 30 years?

I think Dan Gurney built an Eagle-Toyota chassis in California, but that's all I can come up with.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

sennaf1god.94

xpensive wrote:If you think about it this way, how many US-built chassis has been seen in CART/IRL for the past 30 years?

I think Dan Gurney built an Eagle-Toyota chassis in California, but that's all I can come up with.
Swift 010.c

Eagle 997

Penske PC27-98
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

xpensive

I already mentioned the Eagle, forgot the Swift, but all Penskes were built i Poole, England.

But didn't Panoz build something?

countersteer

They also produced the DP09 for Superleague but that may be a variation of the DP01. I don't have a clue...

marcush.

there was a riley &Scott MKV as well...and surprisingly good as well:

http://www.rileytech.com/NewsArticles/C ... p?item=IRL

nice car actually with sheet metal bonded(!)bellhousing ....no pics available sadly...

Jersey Tom

marcush. wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:
countersteer wrote:IMHO, an F1 car is far far more complex than a Sprint [Cup] car
Some aspects are, yes. But some aspects of stock cars are far more involved than in F1...
care to elaborate?

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/nascar-template.jpg
Not this time I'm afraid. Not much anyway.

It's deceiving. The piece parts seem simple enough, but the integration and really having a firm fundamental grasp on system behavior is very challenging. I would say of engineers who come from F1 to stock car racing, the transition isn't "Oh this is so much simpler we'll run circles around these guys." It's more like, "Holy crap this is a way deeper rabbit hole than I could have imagined."

Though like I say there are certainly some aspects of a current F1 car which are much more complicated, like the steering wheel and electronics system integration. 2014 PU's as well.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Earnard Beccelstone

I have really mixed feelings on this.

Its good to see a US-based team wanting to compete in F1. Honestly, I’d like to see two or three US-based F1 teams to give the UK/European connection a hard time.
Haas has a decade-long history in racing, substantial facilities underneath him, a background in high-tech manufacturing and a significant amount of funds behind him, even if this is just a marketing exercise for his CNC business.
I’d love to see a US driver back on the grid
The acknowledgement by Hass that there needs to be a long-term, multi year learning curve to be competitive in F1 makes me think this isn’t going to be a repeat of USF1

However:

Haas already has a fairly chequered history with regards to tax activities
The insistence on being a North American-based team may lead to a lengthened development/deployment cycle, tying a hand behind their back in any development race from the start
The arrogance straight off the bat – the “well-run, efficient American organization” and “most advanced nation on the planet” press conference comments, and the corollary that European teams aren’t this and “just throw money at things and go”, were completely unnecessary
No named engine supplier
No clarity on whether it will be a 2015 or 2016 start
Using a Dallara chassis – yes, they can build excellent cars, but they’ve not been at the sharp end of the F1 grid for a LONG time. It will also mean another steep learning curve if they do get around to building their own chassis. So, if they get an ordinary chassis out of Dallara for a couple of years and then build their own after that, I can easily see them spending three or four years at the back of the grid.

eyalynf1

Earnard Beccelstone wrote:I have really mixed feelings on this.

Its good to see a US-based team wanting to compete in F1. Honestly, I’d like to see two or three US-based F1 teams to give the UK/European connection a hard time.
Haas has a decade-long history in racing, substantial facilities underneath him, a background in high-tech manufacturing and a significant amount of funds behind him, even if this is just a marketing exercise for his CNC business.
I’d love to see a US driver back on the grid
The acknowledgement by Hass that there needs to be a long-term, multi year learning curve to be competitive in F1 makes me think this isn’t going to be a repeat of USF1

However:

Haas already has a fairly chequered history with regards to tax activities
The insistence on being a North American-based team may lead to a lengthened development/deployment cycle, tying a hand behind their back in any development race from the start
The arrogance straight off the bat – the “well-run, efficient American organization” and “most advanced nation on the planet” press conference comments, and the corollary that European teams aren’t this and “just throw money at things and go”, were completely unnecessary
No named engine supplier
No clarity on whether it will be a 2015 or 2016 start
Using a Dallara chassis – yes, they can build excellent cars, but they’ve not been at the sharp end of the F1 grid for a LONG time. It will also mean another steep learning curve if they do get around to building their own chassis. So, if they get an ordinary chassis out of Dallara for a couple of years and then build their own after that, I can easily see them spending three or four years at the back of the grid.
So what if they do spend a few years at the back of the grid? It would be reasonable for them to do so, and learn the formula in the process. On the other hand, its hard to win sponsors by saying "We're going to spend three years getting lapped more than the dog's water dish, please write a check."

rscsr

They may have a reasonable chance to become a midfield team with enough time and money.
Just look at Force India. They started at the back of the grid with the old Jordan/Midland/Spyker Team and look where they are now. So I'd say that it would be better to buy another Team on the Grid (but I think Torro Rosso isn't for sale anymore with the better sharing in the next years of IP).

xpensive

Earnard Beccelstone wrote: ...
That statement came very close to Peter Windsor's; "UK – and most of Europe – basically shut down on December 18 and will not stagger back to life until January 4. That's 16 valuable days lost in the too-short life of the F1 European winter"

Or this; "August for Americans is just another working month in which some people maybe take a week or two away. There's no nationwide shutdown, as such – not of the type that regularly afflicts massive F1 teams like Ferrari.

For years all of their suppliers have been shutting their doors for the month of August – and for years the European teams have been complaining that the situation has been growing worse, not better."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80730

countersteer

xpensive wrote:That statement came very close to Peter Windsor's;
I wasn't aware that Peter Windsor was part of this effort....

60DShim

countersteer wrote:
He's not, he said that in 2010 boasting about his USF1 team

countersteer

60DShim wrote:
countersteer wrote:
He's not, he said that in 2010 boasting about his USF1 team
So his comments related to the USF1 effort are relevant to this discussion in what way?