Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Really worried about McLaren now. Didn't make it into Q3 in China in the wet, they really should be making the best of the wet conditions. Unless they are set up more for a dry race.

Stupidly thought McLaren could make better F1 car than Mercedes. Anyone got anything uplifting to say? I'm feeling very pessimistic.
F1 is dead.

beelsebob

McG wrote:Really worried about McLaren now. Didn't make it into Q3 in China in the wet, they really should be making the best of the wet conditions. Unless they are set up more for a dry race.

Stupidly thought McLaren could make better F1 car than Mercedes. Anyone got anything uplifting to say? I'm feeling very pessimistic.
This may be the team thread, but do try to keep at least the rampant fannishness out of it.

McG

beelsebob wrote:
McG wrote:Really worried about McLaren now. Didn't make it into Q3 in China in the wet, they really should be making the best of the wet conditions. Unless they are set up more for a dry race.

This may be the team thread, but do try to keep at least the rampant fannishness out of it.
Use real words.
F1 is dead.

CjC
CjC

Ease up,

Guys, it's gonna be a tough few years being a mclaren fan. The split from merc has it's inevitables, fully expect honda to 'struggle'. I para-phrased 'struggle' because I don't know to what extent and circumstances they will struggle with. Mclaren will have its day again but I'm sure Mercedes and red bull, even Ferrari will have its day before it's mclarens turn again.

Just enjoy the racing and concentrate on what building blocks and pieces of the jigsaw the team put in place. I.e a damn title sponsor and making sure key personnel arrive at Woking.
Just a fan's point of view

Kiril Varbanov

Very interesting interview with Ron Dennis - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113543

Xero

I think the wet just exposes McLarens main weakness in lack of overall downforce, although todays problems suggest the front end has poor mechanical grip too, usually one of McLaren's strong points. I'd put that down to setup though. McLaren's race pace in the dry has generally been decent, so as a fan I'm optimistic for the season going forward. The fact the wind tunnel and simulator correlates to the track this year suggests they have a good possibility of developing faster and harder than the other teams, which they've proven to be capable of over recent years. As a fan, I'm viewing this year as a development year for McLaren, hopefully with a win or two towards the end of the season, in preparing the overall package with Honda for next season.

mclaren_mircea

Xero wrote:I think the wet just exposes McLarens main weakness in lack of overall downforce, although todays problems suggest the front end has poor mechanical grip too, usually one of McLaren's strong points. I'd put that down to setup though. McLaren's race pace in the dry has generally been decent, so as a fan I'm optimistic for the season going forward. The fact the wind tunnel and simulator correlates to the track this year suggests they have a good possibility of developing faster and harder than the other teams, which they've proven to be capable of over recent years. As a fan, I'm viewing this year as a development year for McLaren, hopefully with a win or two towards the end of the season, in preparing the overall package with Honda for next season.
Unfortunatelly they will strugle painfully next year because Honda will have a year behind with the engine. Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault have 2-3 teams to test the engine this year and make performance improvements for next year. Honda make it clear that they will rely only on the dyno and won't make real testing. Only by 2016-2017 Mclaren will have a real chance :(

mclaren_mircea

Can someone bring more information about Ettore Griffini? We only know that he came from Lotus, but what kind of engineer is he? Aero? Vehivle Dynamics? Simulation? Trackside enginner?
Thanks

CjC
CjC

mclaren_mircea wrote: Unfortunatelly they will strugle painfully next year because Honda will have a year behind with the engine. Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault have 2-3 teams to test the engine this year and make performance improvements for next year. Honda make it clear that they will rely only on the dyno and won't make real testing. Only by 2016-2017 Mclaren will have a real chance :(
Agreed
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren_mircea

PLEASE someone who sees my post about Ettore Griffini and knows something about this man inform us, the other Mclaren fans. I can't find anything on the internet about what type of engineer he is. Maybe some Lotus fans can help us. :P

mclaren_mircea

mclaren_mircea wrote:PLEASE someone who sees my post about Ettore Griffini and knows something about this man inform us, the other Mclaren fans. I can't find anything on the internet about what type of engineer he is. Maybe some Lotus fans can help us. :P
Nobody? :wtf:

Avocado

mclaren_mircea wrote:Unfortunatelly they will strugle painfully next year because Honda will have a year behind with the engine. Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault have 2-3 teams to test the engine this year and make performance improvements for next year. Honda make it clear that they will rely only on the dyno and won't make real testing. Only by 2016-2017 Mclaren will have a real chance :(
Complete opposite. It's perfect for them to observe the situation, get info from McLaren and prepare for the next season. They will be very strong.
Last edited by Avocado on 19 Apr 2014, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

heidenreich27

Well honda can meet a circuit and test their engine 24hours non stop because they are not in formula 1 contract. They have huge advantage and other teams already informed bernie but fia and bernie cant do anything.

mclaren_mircea

heidenreich27 wrote:Well honda can meet a circuit and test their engine 24hours non stop because they are not in formula 1 contract. They have huge advantage and other teams already informed bernie but fia and bernie cant do anything.
They said that the can't and they won't. They will rely on on the dyno and huge amounts of money. I'm also skeptical about Mclaren beeing so ruthlees even if I would love it. They gave Mercedes all kinds of contractual assurances, and Mercedes is hiddening from them info for the engine. Sadly, Mclaren will be again losers next year. It's a Whitmarsh era blockage, this apetite for losers situation. I will never forgive him and his style for the operational management and errors of 2012. Look at Mercedes, they are doing everything all right. He was set up for throwing Mclaren in a decline. Ron will need years to revigorate the team.

Jef Patat

heidenreich27 wrote:Well honda can meet a circuit and test their engine 24hours non stop because they are not in formula 1 contract. They have huge advantage and other teams already informed bernie but fia and bernie cant do anything.
They at least say they won't: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108796

I haven't seen anything that they changed their mind. Off course, interviews are one thing, reality is another. I do still find it strange that they don't take advantage of it.