Driver position - how much difference, if at all ?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
monsi

Driver position - how much difference, if at all ?

Sometime before this Chinese GP I saw Ricciardo interviewed, and he mimicked crushing himself down into the cockpit to go a bit faster. Does this actually make any difference, and if so by how much ?

turbof1

Re: Driver position - how much difference, if at all ?

monsi wrote:Sometime before this Chinese GP I saw Ricciardo interviewed, and he mimicked crushing himself down into the cockpit to go a bit faster. Does this actually make any difference, and if so by how much ?
I don't believe it'll make a relevant difference, if any, to the car performance.

However, mentally this could help. Drivers ussually do something like that to express that they are trying to pull everything out of the car. I once saw Hamilton whacking his head forwards, as if he wanted to pull the car forward. It gives them a bit more confidence, which could perhaps lead to more precise driving. A self-forfilling prophecy, ideally.
#AeroFrodo

xDama

I thought it was a reference to karting. I've seen the interview yesterday and I didn't have the impression that he was serious.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Tim.Wright

I remember in the 90s Schumacher used to tilt his head to one side to help air flow into the engine.
Not the engineer at Force India

bhall

If the driver can lower his head a bit on straights, he'll reduce the frontal area of the car, which results in less drag.

And apparently...

Moxie

bhall wrote:If the driver can lower his head a bit on straights, he'll reduce the frontal area of the car, which results in less drag.

And apparently...

http://i.imgur.com/ixxzriE.jpg

I apologize for not being net savvy enough to post the pics to which I refer. I'll try to learn.

If you look at images of Mansell driving the 1986 Williams you will see that basic roll hoop sticks above the bodywork, leaving an otherwise open path for airflow. By scrunching down Mansell will in fact reduce the frontal area of the car.

However if you look at images of Riccairdo driving the 2014 Red Bull you will see that changing the position of the helmet will not reduce the frontal area of the car. In the modern cars the frontal area in that region is defined by the air box and the high protective sides of the cockpit.

I will suggest...only in a butterfly flapping its wings kind of way...that by scrunching down the driver will be lowering the center of gravity by just a hair.

bhall

I'd say it depends on the driver and the car. (I'd also say any difference is likely inconsequential.)

ernos5

bhall wrote:I'd say it depends on the driver and the car. (I'd also say any difference is likely inconsequential.)

Alonso is photographed under braking compared to Kimi not so much. The drivers usually become a little lower in the cockpit under braking... Probably not the best comparison.

Moxie

bhall wrote:I'd say it depends on the driver and the car. (I'd also say any difference is likely inconsequential.)
Yes, I'd have to agree with that.