Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Ferrari F14T

diffuser wrote:I fear the gearing difference is Ferrari Compensating for lack of engine power.,,, the higher gear ratio requires less effort to accelerate but end-up with a top speed shortage.
There is no major top speed disadvantage. In practice they hit 327 and Merc did 335.

diffuser

timbo wrote:
diffuser wrote:I fear the gearing difference is Ferrari Compensating for lack of engine power.,,, the higher gear ratio requires less effort to accelerate but end-up with a top speed shortage.
There is no major top speed disadvantage. In practice they hit 327 and Merc did 335.
I would suggest that's on the high side but since I don't think we'll be trying to pass Merc/Merc in China ... that's a moot point.

The good news is Alonso did have 11KPH on the RB boys in Quali and half that in Free Practise 2. I'M wondering if RB went with a higher downforce setup From Free Practise 2 to Quali as their top speed seemed to drop more than most.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

timbo wrote:
To me, that is a fairly big advantage, especially on the track with the longest straight of the year.

Vanja #66

F1's website says 331 for Lewis, 325.8 for Alonso and 327.2 for Kimi in FP2... Alonso mentioned power train setting changes brought here were successful, I think we could agree with that...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Afterburner

Vanja #66 wrote:F1's website says 331 for Lewis, 325.8 for Alonso and 327.2 for Kimi in FP2... Alonso mentioned power train setting changes brought here were successful, I think we could agree with that...
It's fairly difficult to say, we don't know how much wing Ferrari is running, tomorrow we will see it more clearly for sure.

Vanja #66

Alonso was fastest trough the middle sector yesterday.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

jagunx51

zioture wrote:Pictures of yesterday hubs Open and closed

https://scontent-b-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 1994_n.jpg

Today's Photos hubs open.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7891_n.jpg
it looks like forward facing opening (and perhaps slightly sloping downward?) ..... is it going to scoop the air OR releasing the heat from brake unit .... or what :?:
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 772571.jpg
............!!!!

jonaliew
jonaliew

Interesting comment during the race, Vettel mentioning he doesn't have the straightline speed to catch Alonso. I thought the ferrari was down compared to RBR and Merc. So did we have a better race set up or a software fix for the PU?

speedy56
speedy56

jonaliew wrote:Interesting comment during the race, Vettel mentioning he doesn't have the straightline speed to catch Alonso. I thought the ferrari was down compared to RBR and Merc. So did we have a better race set up or a software fix for the PU?
RB is the slowest on the straights (again) because of their downforce and the weak and thirsty Renault PU, Ferrari has less drag, a littlebit less downforce, and a stronger and less thirsty PU.

heidenreich27
heidenreich27

Re: AW: Ferrari F14T

speedy56 wrote:
jonaliew wrote:Interesting comment during the race, Vettel mentioning he doesn't have the straightline speed to catch Alonso. I thought the ferrari was down compared to RBR and Merc. So did we have a better race set up or a software fix for the PU?
RB is the slowest on the straights (again) because of their downforce and the weak and thirsty Renault PU, Ferrari has less drag, a littlebit less downforce, and a stronger and less thirsty PU.
very wrong, its red bull setup , torro rosso had higher topspeed than us.

f300v10
f300v10

Has anyone spotted the changes to the supposed new rear wing? I can't see any changes to the endplates. The changes I think I see are a thicker leading edge on the upper flap, and a slightly bigger slot gap.

The car appears to have picked up around 10kph on the straights this weekend so the updated PU seems to have delivered. The front limit nature of the circuit likely helped as well. Barcelona also tends to be front limited, so the F14T should be strong there as well.

motobaleno

imho the new brake ducts is a pretty big improvement.
the concept is not entirely new but possibly with the smaller front wing their contribution increased: they help to outwash and that's more critical than one year ago

smhasan7
smhasan7

Banned RedBull wheel hub from 2013

shelly
shelly

I have read (on thejudge13 iirc) that Helmut marko says that much of the progress made by ferrari in china was due to a new shell fuel.
Does anyone have more details about that?
twitter: @armchair_aero

eslam1986
eslam1986

what is this ?