TV coverage gripes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Current TV coverage good or bad?

Keep it the way it is!
16%
Overhaul needed ASAP
80%
Don't care about the quality of TV coverage
4%

Total votes: 112

Emerson.F

Re: TV coverage gripes

Biased Ted Kravitz is getting on my nerves..
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

mariano

What´s ASAP?

mariano

Continue in "The most succesful TV graphics ever." (posted in General topics).

Miguel

mariano wrote:What´s ASAP?
As Soon As Possible.

I've even seen professors use it in real life in the UK, so it's really really common, but one of those acronyms you only know if you're a native speaker or spend more time that's advisable in front of a computer.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Emerson.F

mariano wrote:What´s ASAP?
ROFL :lol:
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

astracrazy

I wondered what happened there, tbh i didn't know these cgi adverts were used.

Vettel Maggot

I occasionally watch the 'big' NASCAR events plus the road course races and one thing that I think F1 could 'borrow' is 'Crank it up'. I love turning the volume up and letting the surround sound off the leash.

Essentially the commentators are quiet for a minute or so and they let the trackside noises do the talking. I am aware that currently the sound that is transmitted in the F1 broadcast is verging on appalling, nothing like being at the track, but if they were to make an effort to improve the audio I think this could work. There is always a lull in the race I am sure they could fit it in.

I am aware different broadcasters make this difficult, but maybe if they put up a 'team radio' style notification on the screen 3 seconds prior then maybe every commentator could know when to be quiet?

I'd glady listen to that a few times a race over Ted's ramblings.

flyboy2160

Vettel Maggot wrote:I occasionally watch the 'big' NASCAR events plus the road course races and one thing that I think F1 could 'borrow' is 'Crank it up'. I love turning the volume up and letting the surround sound off the leash....
I totally agree. I recall ESPN or Speed doing exactly this at the start some of the F1 races. I remember Varsha saying "Turn up the sound!," pausing, and then picking up the call after several seconds.

krisfx

The CGI adverts at China were an absolute eyesore, especially down the main straight to remind us where the GP is being held....

Kiril Varbanov

That sound crank is a good approach, I have already adopted it while on air, although to a limited amount.
What F1 can also borrow from US, in particular NBA, is the Decibel meter. Whenever some spectacular event is happening, the crowd goes Wow! and there's a sound level metric displayed. Certainly, the louder the crowd is, the spicier the dunk was!

Wait .... If F1 installs decibel-o-meter on the track, it will display its own fail... Maybe substitute the track environment with "Enjoy the silence" of Depeche Mode?
On a related note, I've asked the TV sound engineers to increase the levels of the sound from the track and got a positive feedback from the viewers.

djos

TV coverage gripes

Kirill, it's not just the sound levels that are the problem IMO, I heard the cars in Melbourne in person then compared that with the TV and there is something like DRC being applied that bins a big chunk of the sound frequency range.

I have a high quality sound system capable of properly replicating 20hz - 40khz (not that most humans can hear past about 18khz) and the TV audio is missing big chunks of the higher midrange and above frequencies.
"In downforce we trust"

Kiril Varbanov

djos wrote:Kirill, it's not just the sound levels that are the problem IMO, I heard the cars in Melbourne in person then compared that with the TV and there is something like DRC being applied that bins a big chunk of the sound frequency range.

I have a high quality sound system capable of properly replicating 20hz - 40khz (not that most humans can hear past about 18khz) and the TV audio is missing big chunks of the higher midrange and above frequencies.
I thoroughly agree about the compression, but at the same time this is a normal procedure in both TV and radio stations, it just depends on the sending party's settings. BTW, there are different laws across different countries, and in some there are prescribed levels of sound variation during broadcast. This is done in order to smooth the deliberately-modified sounds coming from the advertisement, which are there to attract attention. You may have noticed that there's a vast difference in sound levels between the movie you've been watching and the ad break.

In today's F1 status quo this is just reinforced by the new rules...

strad

You may have noticed that there's a vast difference in sound levels between the movie you've been watching and the ad break.
In the U.S. they now have rules against that. I didn't think they did. I thought they were fudging. My Decibel meter proved me wrong and that they abide by the rule.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

TV coverage gripes

We have regulations in aus governing ad volume too but they don't affect regular programming, only ads which can't be louder than the tv program being shown.
"In downforce we trust"