If Vettel performs poorly this year... what will that mean?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall

Re: If Vettel performs poorly this year... what will that me

I imagine facing a teammate who doesn't immediately take himself out of the race with a poor start is quite a difference for Vettel this year.

(I always hate it when one of my comments starts a new page. I dunno why.)

Vettel Maggot

He lucked out by being in the best car of the time. Now he's in a car down on power and he is getting beaten by a teammate that is used to squabbling for position and driving through the field. I wish 2 of those World Titles were Alonso's, there's a guy that can really drive.

GrandAxe

Vettel Maggot wrote:He lucked out by being in the best car of the time. Now he's in a car down on power and he is getting beaten by a teammate that is used to squabbling for position and driving through the field. I wish 2 of those World Titles were Alonso's, there's a guy that can really drive.
Its not the power; its that this year the car is not so planted on the track by EBD, that the driver simply has to plant their foot to waltz into the distance for a winning tour of the track. That's not to say Vettel is not fast when things are "just right," but these days, the drivers actually have to take in a lot of technical info and then tame their 2014 errant beasts with proper driving skills. Added to 2014's difficulties, Vettel's new teammate is not stunningly disadvantaged by being 6ft tall and weighing approximately 20 kilos extra, as Webber was.
I guess that at last, the real Vettel has stood up.

If Ricciardo beats him this year and follows it up next season as well, we could see Vettel taking on a very early DTM career.

sennaf1god.94

Vettel Maggot wrote:He lucked out by being in the best car of the time. Now he's in a car down on power and he is getting beaten by a teammate that is used to squabbling for position and driving through the field. I wish 2 of those World Titles were Alonso's, there's a guy that can really drive.
The Renault´s were always down on power during the V8 era, had good torque and was pretty compact, that and the great blowing were the biggest advantages this engine had over the much powerful Mercedes engine.

Sure their fast speed exiting curves gave RedBull cars the apparent perception they were actually powerful.

In raw bhp they were behind Ferrari and Mercedes, and even the fat Cossie.

Bulls are not dominating today thankx to the blowing diffusers ban.
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

FoxHound

bhall wrote:I imagine facing a teammate who doesn't immediately take himself out of the race with a poor start is quite a difference for Vettel this year.

(I always hate it when one of my comments starts a new page. I dunno why.)
New page, new chapter, new start and all that.
No pressure. Just perform, B. That's what you here for!
JET set

WhiteBlue

bhall wrote:I imagine facing a teammate who doesn't immediately take himself out of the race with a poor start is quite a difference for Vettel this year.(I always hate it when one of my comments starts a new page. I dunno why.)
Big LOL your holiness.
This discussion so far is nothing but background noise. Driver performance 2014 will become very obvious soon. Why don't we simply sit back and watch the show?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Sevach

Vettel's performance today was quite weird, solid first stint, all over Alonso to start the second... and then faded hard, i don't get it.

flynfrog

I agree with WhiteBlue and the world didn't implode that must mean something. You are trying to judge a 4 time world champion by three bad races. How many other world champions have had a few bad races or even bad years. This driver hate/worship is getting out of hand here.

djos

lebesset wrote:I guess webber is regretting he isn't still in the red bull this season
Actually he isn't, he's commented publicly a number of times that he preferred F1 back when it was V10's + refueling + decent tires and a sprint race from start to finish.

Besides he's having a blast already in WEC taking Porsche's first podium at Silverstone with his team.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Gerhard Berger wrote:
Ultra_Tech wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:As a corollary to what seems to be the general consensus that he is not the best driver on the grid or of his era, I think that many of us would agree that there is a section of the F1 community who don't rate him at all - wrongly so in my view.

It is worth remembering throughout all this. Is that as a driver you can only beat what is put in front of you.

I think Vettel was close to sublime in that Red Bull, I think Newey worked the car so perfectly to his liking. Some would try and take that away from him, which I don't think is right.
I have always said one simple thing.

As soon as he actually has to race with the top drivers, instead of being in a rocketship where he can get out of DRS in one lap and cruise home.....then we will find out how good he really is. This has been coming for some time now, even when he was in the rocketship there were little tell tale signs that he wasn't the same when the playing field was equalized, particularly when he actually had to race wheel to wheel with other drivers where he really struggled in my view.

The only thing he ever proved in his 4 WDC title years was that he was faster on Merit than Mark Webber, 2012 for example, going life and death with Fernando Alonso, if the roles were reversed and Alonso was in the Red Bull,that title would have been finished mid season, never a final race decider.

Signs have been there for some time. I really thought 2009 when Jenson Button was destroying everything that moved would have shown people once and for all that most of the top 6/7 driver will look like Senna when their car is 0.5 per faster than anyone else, but no.....people obviously were still getting sucked in unfortunately.
Agree with this.

Ross Brawn once said that a great test of a driver's ability is to see how he performs when he doesn't have the best car. We saw Schumacher was outstanding in years like 96-98 and we've seen the same from Alonso the last few years and so far this year. Yet to see something similar from Vettel, and this year, with the car as it is, is the perfect opportunity.
I also agree, Vettel is very good but he only got on top of Webber once the blown diffuser was able to blow all the way through the corner and then was able to tip toe around on the stupidly fragile Pirelli tires faster than anyone else.

Alonso is hands down the best driver of the current generation, it doesn't matter how crap his car is, he drags that thing by the scruff of the neck and puts it up much further than it deserves to be! His race craft is simply amazing!
"In downforce we trust"

FoxHound

Cam wrote: If Vettel performs poorly this year… what will that mean?
Simple, the stars simply did not align. This is why every WDC is special, no matter what car you’re in.
If what you are angling at is misfortune, I would point to him being the most fortunate driver in F1 history.
1 year in a torro rosso that was better than the Red Bull in 2008, then into the rb5 of 2009 which was the second quickest car over the season, and then the fastest(best)car 4 years running.

As Alonso said, it will be how he performs in a mediocre car that will define him.
Still too early to call how he is doing after 4 races, but it doesn't look great.
JET set

Cam

FoxHound wrote:
Cam wrote: If Vettel performs poorly this year… what will that mean?
Simple, the stars simply did not align. This is why every WDC is special, no matter what car you’re in.
If what you are angling at is misfortune, I would point to him being the most fortunate driver in F1 history.
1 year in a torro rosso that was better than the Red Bull in 2008, then into the rb5 of 2009 which was the second quickest car over the season, and then the fastest(best)car 4 years running.

As Alonso said, it will be how he performs in a mediocre car that will define him.
Still too early to call how he is doing after 4 races, but it doesn't look great.
Well, just because Alonso said, so yeah, that must be the measure of how we define him. Honestly? You've decided to take Vettels arguably biggest competitor and proclaim forth his word as gospel?

If Vettel performed poorly in the RB5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 - this thread has merit - because another poor year in awesome machinery is very questionable indeed. Come to terms with the fact that the guy did everything that was asked from him since managing to get his bum in a F1 seat. How the Red Bull team measure performance certainly has more merit than Alonso's word.

Personally, I don't like Vettel. However, I dislike the continuous false and biased reasons for trying to belittle his accomplishments even more. Having the best car means nothing if you can't convert the win - just ask Rosberg.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

basti313

FoxHound wrote:As Alonso said, it will be how he performs in a mediocre car that will define him.
Said from the man who always has a mediocre car?

Just not to say Jehova, I would ask the question how you would define any driver who is not able to drive the best car in 2010 to be WC?
Don`t russel the hamster!

FoxHound

Cam wrote:Well, just because Alonso said, so yeah, that must be the measure of how we define him. Honestly? You've decided to take Vettels arguably biggest competitor and proclaim forth his word as gospel?
You have not so much missed the point as being oblivious to it.
Alonso is not lying, nor has he belittled Vettel. He is making a point even Vettel fans have asked themselves.
What will Vettel do in a car that is not up to scratch?
Time will tell us [whether he's a great], but I think when he will have a car like the others, if he wins he will have great recognition and he will be one of the legends of F1," said the Spaniard.
"When one day he has the car like the others and he is fourth, fifth or seventh then these four titles will be bad news for him because people will take those four days in a even worse manner than what they are doing now.
"So there are interesting times for Sebastian coming."
This aint gospel, he is calling it how it is. If you disagree, then by all means but at least put forward something tangible for the rest of us to go on.
Cam wrote:If Vettel performed poorly in the RB5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 - this thread has merit - because another poor year in awesome machinery is very questionable indeed. Come to terms with the fact that the guy did everything that was asked from him since managing to get his bum in a F1 seat. How the Red Bull team measure performance certainly has more merit than Alonso's word.
Again you miss the point. It is the very fact he performed well leading out and dominating races in the majority of his time in those cars that leads us to ask the questions.

Why is Ricciardo doing a better job with less experience in a new team than a 4 time world champion?

Can you feel the resonance there, Cam?

Of course it is too early to judge. But, at this moment in time Ricciardo is doing a better job, which no one can deny.
Speculatively, should Ricciardo beat Vettel this year, what would your estimation of Ricciardo be?
Better than a 4 time world champion?
Or 4 time world champion had a bad season?
JET set

FoxHound

basti313 wrote:
FoxHound wrote:As Alonso said, it will be how he performs in a mediocre car that will define him.
Said from the man who always has a mediocre car?

Just not to say Jehova, I would ask the question how you would define any driver who is not able to drive the best car in 2010 to be WC?
I'm sorry, wot?
JET set