Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
jagunx51

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11404207370 ... t---report

Britain's Daily Mail now reports that while Whitmarsh's severance package is still being negotiated, it is "likely" to be around $10 million.
Correspondent Jonathan McEvoy said the figure is more than $400,000 for each of the 24 years Whitmarsh served at McLaren.

just wondering how much domenicali will earn from maranello
:?:
............!!!!

akshat21
akshat21

KingHamilton01 wrote:I always expected 2014 to be a testing season for McLaren, I to agree with what other's are saying that it won't be until 2015 when McLaren enter with Honda engines till they can expect to become a force again. I think Honda already have a great knowledge of v6 engines with turbo's from indy car's, plus McLaren will already know some of the secret's or the Mercedes engine so this will all help Honda make a good package imo. Meanwhile they have blooded a young driver in Magnussen who will need a season to get up to speed and I honestly think that Button won't be going into 2015 with McLaren, I don't know what sort of contract Hulkenburg has at FI but I think McLaren should look at him.
I agree that Button should be dropped. He is a bit of a moaner (when everything isn't perfect) and worse than that, he can't wring a good lap from a bad car like Hamilton, Raikonnen or Alonso could. I wish the earluer rumors of Alonso coming to McLaren are true. He would make an excellent replacement.

FoxHound

langwadt wrote:
FoxHound wrote:Full manufacturer backing, not paying for engines, and Honda's pedigree are all benefits in kind to mclaren.
I believe Honda are also putting money in the pot.

Mclaren hit the jackpot if you look at what is happening to them now.
from what I've read it's free engines, 50mill euro and half the drivers pay
That's easily an 80 million euro boost to the team.
JET set

Gaz.
Gaz.

FoxHound wrote:
langwadt wrote:
FoxHound wrote:Full manufacturer backing, not paying for engines, and Honda's pedigree are all benefits in kind to mclaren.

from what I've read it's free engines, 50mill euro and half the drivers pay
That's easily an 80 million euro boost to the team.
If they are paying for half the drivers pay, is that a simple 50% of the total or does it mean that Honda will choose and pay for the 2nd driver? Could Kobayashi be in with a chance to drive for them given the recent trend of Japanese teams/engine suppliers wishing to have a Japanese driver?
Forza Jules

CjC
CjC

That is a great point Gaz.

I hope McLaren's philosophy of only the best 2 drivers available will prevail.....
Hasn't in Hulkenberg's case though....
Just a fan's point of view

Avocado
Avocado

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

I also hope that the team will go best 2 drivers available and with Ron in charge I'm sure they will. In that case, and I'm sad to say this as I'm a Button fan (when the cars right and the moons in the right position :wink: ) I hope they keep Mag and get in a proper charger. Alonso if it's possibly but I'm quite sure Ron rubs him up the wrong way. Failing that Hulk deserves it, no question.

Team wise I'm sure, as I've mentioned elsewhere, 2014 is rapidly approaching write off. All eggs in one basket for Honda and 2015. With a proper title sponsor they'll have a massive budget and absolutely no excuses!

321apex
321apex

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

Gents, I would like to see a far better form out of Woking as much as you do and just because I utter some significant criticism against your favorite team is no reason to levy upon me negative points. I happen to know Jan Magnussen personally and would love to see his kid succeed at McLaren, but what we are seeing is a team trip in the wrong direction.

When I saw the butterflies I thought "well, these are parachutes, so they better work as intended". Since then it became clear that their benefit is questionable judging by race and qualification results.

I appreciate your arguments that "it is better with them than without them", but from performance point of view I don't buy it. The people whose responsibility was to optimize the aero did not do a very good job and the longer this remains the more likely McLaren will find a new home in the area of "teens" on the finishing list.

Bad car has an even worse influence on drivers. Jens is nearing the end of his career and once he can, it is convenient for him to blame the car for numerous times he displayed poor form. Magnussen however is young and his inexperience is a ready alibi for his performance. This puts the team in a deep rut and only engineers can change that and they must do it quickly.

Gaz.
Gaz.

I'm still unsure about TJ13 but the author is making some interesting gossip either way:

http://thejudge13.com/

There's a couple of articles involving Mclaren-Honda & Alonso, to summerise: Italian press say Honda are willing to buy out Alonso's Ferrari contract and place him in Mclaren partnering Magnussen with a tie up with Movistar. In the other article Magnussen says he'd rather have Button as his team mate instead of Alonso.

The articles don't mention the Santander-Ferrari sponsorship. Although Santander also sponsor Mclaren, I'm under the impression their Ferrari sponsorship is tied to Alonso driving a Ferrari???

I assume Movistar would be a title sponsor if this goes forward - assuming Fernando wants to leave Ferrari for Mclaren, which as I understand he was tempted while Witmarsh was at the helm but now Ron is in charge he may think differently and obviously Ron would have to agree to rehiring Alonso too.
Forza Jules

Kiril Varbanov

Gaz. wrote:I'm still unsure about TJ13 but the author is making some interesting gossip either way:
The Alonso-Honda-Mclaren link is known for everyone, but I can assure you that there are very few people in the world at this time that know what's really happening. The rest is cheap public attraction.

I'd rather place my money on Alonso staying at Ferrari at this time of the year. But, what's sure is that he has had talks with Mclaren. The old saying that there's no smoke without a fire is true again.

monsi
monsi

Alonso wants to win. He won't move unless he is convinced his chances are better if he does. With McLaren where they are now, and no sign of rapidly improving development, I can't imagine that any behind the scenes discussions amount to anything more than 'keeping in touch'.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/for ... 4--f1.html

McLaren has revealed that its factory has already produced the downforce improvements it needs to move up the Formula 1 grid.

Efforts to lift the performance of its MP4-29 have become more urgent after a disappointing performance in the Chinese Grand Prix.
However, because of the long lead time that it takes for updates to be manufactured and delivered, it may take a few races before all the upgrades are ready.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if he believed that progress would be enough to get McLaren back in to the fight behind Mercedes, Boullier said: "Definitely.

"This is 100 per cent sure because we know already back in the factory what is going to happen in the next three or four races.
"I know what is going on, so I know we are on a very good development rate.

"What we picked up now since a few weeks is good. Very good.

"I hope it is going to come sooner than later. In the windtunnel already we have picked up a lot of performance.

"Back in the factory it is fine. It is just a question of preparing everything and shipping it to the track."

Sources suggest that the rate of downforce improvement unlocked in Woking in recent weeks has been greater than it has achieved at any point over the winter.

That is the reason why the team is quietly confident that it will only take a short while to get back to the kind of performance that helped it take a double podium finish in the season-opening Australian GP.

Boullier added: "Two years ago they were winning races, so there is no reason to panic.

"It is not because you lose a few guys that the car does not work any more

mikeerfol

Given the improved correlation between sim data and real-time track data, I hope we will see an improved McLaren from Barcelona onwards.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

mikeerfol wrote:Given the improved correlation between sim data and real-time track data, I hope we will see an improved McLaren from Barcelona onwards.
What do you think about next year's engine? I'm afraid of a bad year because of the engine. No track testing, no real experience, no team to make back to back correlation. :oops:

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Mclaren recruited another top aerodynamicist from outside the Mclaren Group, to fill the place of Dan Fallows. Eric Boullier said that he didn't start the work yet, but it is a very big fish, because he said he won't give us any information about the identity of the new aero man until the "in the morning of the day he will be announced". I'm really impressed by Mclaren's recruitment policy. It's the most aggresive campaign that I'm observing for years by an F1 team. It's more aggresive than Red Bull's campaign between 2005-2008 and Mercedes's campaign between 2011-2013. Only without searching not to deep on and at the first attempt on linkedin I found more than 20 new people since May 2013. In the same time Honda is recruiting Mercedes engineers from Brixworth. My question is from where are this money? On various local sites from Surrey several months ago it was said that Mclaren has the Council's final approvement for a new Mclaren Applied Center which will have a totally new wind tunnel for the F1 team. From where so much money without title sponsor and with a U.K economy still with flesh wounds on it?

Here is the article in which Boullier speaks about the new aero man: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/203498/1/m ... ed-up.html