Ferrari by Fussell

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
fussell

Re: Ferrari by Fussell

Thanks Ikocev for the comments,

The paint finish wasn't uniform enough- glossy and less so in areas. I'd like to prototype a windscreen in acrylic, but I don't think I'll be able to get it quite right and like you say it may look too yellow when finished.

I'm adding the side strakes in just with strips of styrene, fiddly task! Again milling them would take very small cutter, and a lot of time.

The CAD body was made in a series of panels, then I 'filletted' them with the basic tool.

thanks

lkocev

I guess the picture didn't really show the uneven finish like you explained it, but not to worry some abrasive paper and a bit of polishing fixes everything haha.

Those side strakes are indeed going to be fiddly work and I imagine a few bouts of curses whilst cutting them, good luck with that.

The fillets look really good if there only the G1 type, sometimes they can create strange reflections though. G1 fillets have only a single constant radius across the entire curve, where as G2 and upwards, when viewed as a cross section, are more like a spline, and do not have a single constant radius, but a varying radius, or varying level of curvature. With software like SolidWorks, which is what I use, you can't set the curvature continuity to G2 with a basic fillet tool, that will only do G1, but you can create G2 type lofting through spline profiles that are curvature continuous to your 'master' surfaces. Software like Autodesk Alias have a 'blend' tool which can to G2, G3, and G4 type fillets. The higher the number the more your surfaces will look like a single continuous body.

G0 - Surfaces meet without tangency.
G1 - Surfaces meet with tangency, but not curvature continuity (continuous radius fillet).
G2 - Surfaces meet with tangency, and with curvature continuity.
G3 - Surfaces meet with tangency, curvature continuity, and the rate of change of curvature is equal at the point where the surfaces meet.
G4 - Surfaces meet with tangency, curvature continuity, rate of change of curvature is equal where surfaces meet, and the rate of change, of the rate of change of curvature is equal where the surfaces meet.

Typically all automotive class-A surfaces have at least G2 continuity, and more and more these days, this level of continuity or higher is even used in interior surfaces, not just the exterior alone.

fussell

Thanks Ikocev, when I designed this car, I didn't have the tools to do all those blends. I understand them now and use them more.

Model update, put the side strakes in, not to difficult. started painting all the black and white surfaces. Starting to look real now. Once this is done the interior is the nice job.

Shrieker

Fantastic job. Want tips ? You give me some tips ! And some talent too lol.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

lkocev

Nice work, it looks real good.

What scale have you made the model at?

bdr529

fussell wrote: This is my latest project,
I like the look alot, it reminds me of the old CanAm cars of the late 60's
great job Fussell, looking forward to seeing the finished car

fussell

Hi Guys,

Not touched this project in a while, here is an update.

Finished painting of the outside panels. Now stated to fit in the interior. Taken from an Enzo.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

I like the Testarossa gills
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

fussell

I have put in the floor and seats of the interior together now. Also added the roll hoops and exhausts. All that is needed now are te wheels, decals, and mesh in the rear vents and front grill. I am quite pleased with the shine of the red colour :)

fussell

Wheels on, just decals and mesh on the grill areas to do now :)

fussell

Hi guys, car is finished. I'm happy with the paint work, it's really glossy. If I was to do it again, I would take the time to make the slates in the side the correct profile and curve with the main body. As for the design, it's too long. The mid section needs to be closed up. The front and rear overhangs I like. Overall the design is low and wide and probably closer to a F1 car than road car! :) All I need to do now is some fanboy photoshop images and get someone to invest in a fullsize working model! :D

machin

Nice!

You could try doing some photos like this (without the face, of course!)

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH