Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: Infiniti RedBull Racing 2014

CBeck113 wrote:Yep, Mystic is right - my work Laptop just got updated to Win7 last week (from XP) and the Task bar is the same.
So what exactly does all this have to do with IRBR or vettel's telemetry?

CBeck113

Juzh wrote:
CBeck113 wrote:Yep, Mystic is right - my work Laptop just got updated to Win7 last week (from XP) and the Task bar is the same.
So what exactly does all this have to do with IRBR or vettel's telemetry?
I'd call it confirming that IRBR is using a relatively modern IT system, which is not necessarily a given. Which has more to do with this thread than your comment - a simple, "nice, let's stick closer to the topic" would be more appropriate, if you want to wave that flag.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Mysticf1

Its on topic and technical so I see no problem with the line of inquiry.

Personally I would be shocked and horrified to find a top team using windows XP that is no longer supported by Microsoft (no security updates) potentially increasing the likelyhood of software vulnerability, something Marrusia suffered earlier this year I might add.

I've always been very interested in the extent or possible existence of cyber espionage in F1. The consequences of being caught would be substantial, legal and sporting.

flyboy2160

As Yogi would say: Deja Vu all over again. Please don't rehash Fuelgate. We already had a thread about it that ended up locked.

flyboy2160

I don't understand you guys. I asked that Fuelgate not be discussed again - we already had a whole thread about it. Yet you went right ahead and posted anyway. I'm going back and deleting all the Fuelgate posts and you all got 24 hr. bans.

mnmracer

Mysticf1 wrote:Personally I would be shocked and horrified to find a top team using windows XP that is no longer supported by Microsoft (no security updates) potentially increasing the likelyhood of software vulnerability, something Marrusia suffered earlier this year I might add.
Microsoft actually extended Windows XP support for the Dutch government for 3 million euro's, so I'm sure if Red Bull were still running XP and took out the check book, Microsoft would put a few nerds on it.

siskue2005

mnmracer wrote:
Mysticf1 wrote:Personally I would be shocked and horrified to find a top team using windows XP that is no longer supported by Microsoft (no security updates) potentially increasing the likelyhood of software vulnerability, something Marrusia suffered earlier this year I might add.
Microsoft actually extended Windows XP support for the Dutch government for 3 million euro's, so I'm sure if Red Bull were still running XP and took out the check book, Microsoft would put a few nerds on it.
Won't it be more economical to shift to win 7 or 8 ? :wink:

NTS
NTS

siskue2005 wrote: Won't it be more economical to shift to win 7 or 8 ? :wink:
Or Linux.. I think it mostly depends on what platform best runs the control software you use, so if that was written for XP you should stick with XP. The lack of security updates might be less of a problem for a specialized system that's not connected to the internet.

Although what happened with Stuxnet in Iran should teach everybody not to let security down on disconnected systems.

Cam

With virtualisation, they can run just about any OS can't they. Sounds like whatever they use it's capable until at least 2014. This article is from June 2012.
Red Bull Technology, the company that designs, engineers and builds the chassis for the Red Bull Racing Formula One team, has deployed an HP 3PAR storage platform.

Matt Cadieux, chief information officer (CIO) at Red Bull Technology, said: “Our new storage system enables the team to get the most out of critical engineering, manufacturing and trackside applications, which are vital to improving the performance of our cars."

Cadieux added: "HP has also future-proofed the system by providing us with the scalability to handle desktop virtualisation and more complex simulations over the next two years."
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Tim.Wright

mnmracer wrote: There is zero logic in governments and ICT.
I wouldn't put it down to that. They've likely got custom software which was written some time ago and doesn't support current operating systems. Surely you can appreciate a database for 20million + people is going to need significant work to port over to a new, non compatible environment.

By the way, to slowly move back on topic, I've been working as a consultant in one of the OEMs (who happens to have an F1 team) and they switched from XP to Win7 just last year.
Not the engineer at Force India

Mysticf1

Win7 is pretty good at running xp software using their compatibility mode, I have personally gotten some pretty old xp based diesel engine diagnostic software working on win7.

Jef Patat

Cam wrote:With virtualisation, they can run just about any OS can't they. Sounds like whatever they use it's capable until at least 2014. This article is from June 2012.
With the risk of going off topic a bit. I have personal experience in designing/writing desktop software for off road vehicles. You generally don't want that software to be run in virtual machines. A PC has very bad 'real time' behaviour. Win3.11 was about the last one allowing to do such things. With XP/7 you can still write very performant logging applications. Win8 makes this a lot more difficult. Virtual machines give even more shitty performance. And last but not least VMs limit your access to hardware (for example CAN interfaces) a lot. I haven't seen anything but a network connection to be working reliably in a VM.

Cam

Jef Patat wrote:
Cam wrote:With virtualisation, they can run just about any OS can't they. Sounds like whatever they use it's capable until at least 2014. This article is from June 2012.
With the risk of going off topic a bit. I have personal experience in designing/writing desktop software for off road vehicles. You generally don't want that software to be run in virtual machines. A PC has very bad 'real time' behaviour. Win3.11 was about the last one allowing to do such things. With XP/7 you can still write very performant logging applications. Win8 makes this a lot more difficult. Virtual machines give even more shitty performance. And last but not least VMs limit your access to hardware (for example CAN interfaces) a lot. I haven't seen anything but a network connection to be working reliably in a VM.
I think this is on topic. We're discussing the I.T. Infrastructure of Red Bull Racing. Seems legit. Cloud computing is getting pretty good, especially if you have a fast network - backbone fast.
"As Formula One moves into a more tech-focused and connected environment, the relationship with AT&T is steadily growing, with plans to expand it in order to support the Team's connected future. Within the next few months, all of our WAN links will be consolidated onto AT&T's backbone. We also plan to adopt unified communications tools , mobile device management and security services later in the year," said Matt Cadieux, Chief Information Officer at Infiniti Red Bull Racing.
That was from last month in combo with a PR piece with AT&T. We can do better than speculate with what they're using, as it's published. As to how it performs? Would anything less than top shelf be acceptable? As to the performance of the virtualisation, a quick read through HP's & IBM's specs should answer that.

Edit: some more info here - http://siliconangle.com/blog/2014/02/25 ... -ibmpulse/
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

basti313

Cam wrote:I think this is on topic. We're discussing the I.T. Infrastructure of Red Bull Racing. Seems legit.
Well, all this discussion about WinXP is nonsense and off topic as it was stated on the last page, that they do not use WinXP, but Win7. Some discussion about virtualisation may be on topic, but also is not really useful:
Jef Patat wrote:
You generally don't want that software to be run in virtual machines. A PC has very bad 'real time' behaviour.

....And last but not least VMs limit your access to hardware (for example CAN interfaces) a lot. I haven't seen anything but a network connection to be working reliably in a VM.
1. All I see is a simple program polling data from an interface and displaying numbers. You need slow refresh rates to read the numbers, so no need for real time or any sort of performance. My phone is doing that in my BMW...
2. I am using different CAN Bus interfaces to connect to measuring equipment. All work fine in VMs except for PCI cards...but we are talking about a laptop, so either USB or Ethernet. Should be no problem even with very high polling rates.
3. As far as I know the CAN Bus interface is already in the standard electronics which has a USB connector. So no problem with VMs as they have no problems with USB.
4. I do not see any need to run a VM here...
Don`t russel the hamster!

Töm87

According to German television RTL Red Bull will decide after Spielberg if they leave Renault and join forces with VW (Audi).
They say VW has engines that are similar to the current F1 power unites so that they could make it already on the grid in 2015.