Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
akshat21

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

mclaren_mircea wrote:Mclaren recruited another top aerodynamicist from outside the Mclaren Group, to fill the place of Dan Fallows. Eric Boullier said that he didn't start the work yet, but it is a very big fish, because he said he won't give us any information about the identity of the new aero man until the "in the morning of the day he will be announced". I'm really impressed by Mclaren's recruitment policy. It's the most aggresive campaign that I'm observing for years by an F1 team. It's more aggresive than Red Bull's campaign between 2005-2008 and Mercedes's campaign between 2011-2013. Only without searching not to deep on and at the first attempt on linkedin I found more than 20 new people since May 2013. In the same time Honda is recruiting Mercedes engineers from Brixworth. My question is from where are this money? On various local sites from Surrey several months ago it was said that Mclaren has the Council's final approvement for a new Mclaren Applied Center which will have a totally new wind tunnel for the F1 team. From where so much money without title sponsor and with a U.K economy still with flesh wounds on it?

Here is the article in which Boullier speaks about the new aero man: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/203498/1/m ... ed-up.html
Bob Bell maybe??

mikeerfol

mclaren_mircea wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Given the improved correlation between sim data and real-time track data, I hope we will see an improved McLaren from Barcelona onwards.
What do you think about next year's engine? I'm afraid of a bad year because of the engine. No track testing, no real experience, no team to make back to back correlation. :oops:
Well I think exactly the opposite. It's going to be a good year because of the engine, but McLaren need to fix their car as well so let's see if they can transfer that extra downforce to their car in the following races ;)

mclaren_mircea

akshat21 wrote:
mclaren_mircea wrote:Mclaren recruited another top aerodynamicist from outside the Mclaren Group, to fill the place of Dan Fallows. Eric Boullier said that he didn't start the work yet, but it is a very big fish, because he said he won't give us any information about the identity of the new aero man until the "in the morning of the day he will be announced". I'm really impressed by Mclaren's recruitment policy. It's the most aggresive campaign that I'm observing for years by an F1 team. It's more aggresive than Red Bull's campaign between 2005-2008 and Mercedes's campaign between 2011-2013. Only without searching not to deep on and at the first attempt on linkedin I found more than 20 new people since May 2013. In the same time Honda is recruiting Mercedes engineers from Brixworth. My question is from where are this money? On various local sites from Surrey several months ago it was said that Mclaren has the Council's final approvement for a new Mclaren Applied Center which will have a totally new wind tunnel for the F1 team. From where so much money without title sponsor and with a U.K economy still with flesh wounds on it?

Here is the article in which Boullier speaks about the new aero man: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/203498/1/m ... ed-up.html
Bob Bell maybe??
No, no, according to Autosprint, Pitlane Talk, and Motorsport-total, Bob Bell will be Technical Director, and Tim Goss will revert to his previous role like he had under Paddy Lowe.

Avocado

mclaren_mircea wrote:new Mclaren Applied Center which will have a totally new wind tunnel for the F1 team.
Yup. It looks incredible.

akshat21

I just read an interview with Ron Dennis on formula1.com. It was interesting to note that Ron is not averse to letting Jenson go. When asked "Could it be that at the end of the season you make the decision to go with two very young drivers - Kevin and Stoffel?", his answer was
Anything is possible, but Jenson is doing a great job. He is quick and he is dedicated so there is no reason not to stay with Jenson from any perspective. But we still have a whole season to go…
Full article : Formula1.com

Lazy

akshat21 wrote:I just read an interview with Ron Dennis on formula1.com. It was interesting to note that Ron is not averse to letting Jenson go. When asked "Could it be that at the end of the season you make the decision to go with two very young drivers - Kevin and Stoffel?", his answer was
Anything is possible, but Jenson is doing a great job. He is quick and he is dedicated so there is no reason not to stay with Jenson from any perspective. But we still have a whole season to go…
Seems to me he's saying "It's possible, but why would I?"

Waffle

akshat21 wrote:I just read an interview with Ron Dennis on formula1.com. It was interesting to note that Ron is not averse to letting Jenson go. When asked "Could it be that at the end of the season you make the decision to go with two very young drivers - Kevin and Stoffel?", his answer was
What other answer could he give? He can't promise Jenson a job (in order to motivate him) and he has to dangle the possibility in front of Stoffel (in order to motivate him). I wouldn't read too much into this.

adrianjordan

I have a theory on McLaren's approach to pre-season testing that I wanted to share...it may be complete and utter BS, but I thought I'd put it out there...

We all know that they did very little, if any, aero testing of new parts in pre-season testing, instead concentrating on reliability and drive-ability of the new Merc PU, while gathering aero data for correlation purposes.

Could it also be that the reason they spent so much time focussed on the engine was to get as much data as they possibly could as early as possible to help Honda with their PU development?

As I say, just a theory...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

monsi

I am not one for these conspiracy theories. Plenty of objective reasons to keep testing simple. Testing lots of variables simultaneously needs a lot of separate experiments, and if you fail to get through your test plan for reliability reasons then you could find yourself with much less good data than if you had kept things fairly simple. In any case it was probably blindingly obvious to them that significant aero opportunities existed as soon as they got hold of their final engines, if the 'suitcase' comments are true, so not much point working through small aero changes.

CjC
CjC

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

Alright guys.

Boullier says there's an 'interesting' update for Spain.
Probably a new brake pedal or something....

http://m.skysports.com/article/formula1//9279498

Now speculate....
Just a fan's point of view

mikeerfol

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

3rd pedal anyone? :P

EDIT: btw why do you think it could be related to brakes?

CjC
CjC

I don't, I'm just being a sarcastic tool.
Just a fan's point of view

Kiril Varbanov

James Allen has an analysis of the season for Mclaren so far - http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/04/a ... r-mclaren/

Jef Patat

Kiril Varbanov wrote:James Allen has an analysis of the season for Mclaren so far - http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/04/a ... r-mclaren/
To complicate the task, new FIA Sporting Regulations for 2014 say that the team can use no more than 30 hours of wind tunnel and CFD time combined. The risk of falling behind is obvious.
Maybe a bit off topic: I knew wind tunnel testing is limited but I didn't know CFD is limited as well (see section 2 in http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules ... 3/fia.html)
I thought big teams could just throw more money in and have more/better CFD than smaller teams. It seems that teams cannot do much trial & error on the aerodynamics as that would just waste CFD time. The designs need to be well thought off before testing them as otherwise it would be a wast of CFD time. Or am I interpreting this incorrect?

This would also be a limiting factor for a car redesign as is sometimes suggested for MCL.

acosmichippo

weird, i wonder how they quantify "CFD time".